main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ani & 3PO

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by MOSEP, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    Many of you out there don´t like the fact that ol´ golden rod was built by Anakin Skywalker. Thought that it was too much of a coincidence.
    I think it´s all a matter of in which order you watch the films.

If you didn´t know anything about SW and sat down to watch them all, from epI-VI you would see this kid, Anakin Skywalker, he has built a droid which becomes one of the main characters, and, when Anakin grows up and becomes evil, ends up with his pal R2 on Alderaan.

That´s not really hard to buy, is it?

But since part IV-VI was our first introduction to this universe, it´s been there since childhood, we think, when the prequels arrived;"Hmm, what´s the origin of 3PO (for example)? What?! Vader built him!
    C´mon..."

Get my point?

But, since

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    How does that change the fact that it is all one big coincidence?

Regardless of the order of the films, Anakin built the droid who is later owned by Luke and Leia, while his wife's droid is later owned by their son. All four of them fight to defeat their father, so no matter how you look at it, it is one big conicidence. . . or the will of the Force.

So a new viewer will watch TPM and see the kid with the droid, correct? Then in AOTC he will no longer have the droid, but will see it again. No big deal, the odds are high on that one, since he visited his home planet to find his mother, so where his mom is the droid will be there. So then in ANH the droid is owned by Luke who later finds out that Luke is Vader's heir. What are the odds that the droid could land in the lap (almost literally) of Vader's son, the son of his creator?

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Agreed. The GFFA gets smaller with every movie. Now Boba is a clone like the Stormtroopers. Dooku was taughter by Yoda, and who, in turn taught Qui-Gon. Anakin's mum ended up marrying Owens father. Everything is so small now days. No one is this closely related in our world, let alone in a large galaxy.

4. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how and why a 10 year old slave kid would build a protocol droid who speaks 6,000,000 languages.

How about a battle droid to beat up Watto until he agrees to disable Ani and Shmi's slave transponders?

By the way, since it was mentioned how "small" the Star Wars universe seems to be, let me ask you a question. Do all roads lead to Tatooine? For a lawless, frontier world out on the edge of nowhere it sure gets a lot of traffic: a queen (later a senator), Jedi, bounty hunters, stormtroopers, Sith lords, rebels. Coruscant is rural Kansas compared to Tatooine.

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    It doesn't really bother me that Anakin built C3PO. I figure after Anakin's fall, Padme takes the droids with her to Alderaan, Leia inherits them, they escape to Tatooine looking for Obi-Wan and Luke buys them because he lives close by.
    I don't care that the universe is "small." The story is about these characters and they're all connected in many ways.

6. Project_Starscream

Project_Starscream Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 7, 2001
    I like that Anakin built C-3PO, it adds a whole new meaning to the scene in ESB where Vader stops Boba Fett from shooting Chewbacca when he has C-3PO on his back.

7. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I think the only reason he stopped Boba from shooting Chewie was because Vader want him alive. Chewie would have been a nice catch for the Empire.

8. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    I don´t think the coincidence is that big.
    The droids just stays within the family,
    from Mom and Dad to their two children.

The droids will probably end up on Alderaan in epIII, and there they serve their masters,
    like Captain Antilles and Leia, for example.
    And when the time comes to go rebel against the empire, they just go along.

9. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    What's more worrying about the whole Anakin building C3PO idea is that a nine year old boy would give his droid the personality of a camp Englishman, but there we go!

10. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    I don't believe that C-3PO can speak 6,000,000 languages in TPM.

11. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    It's a good thing the Republic doesn't have any influence on Tatooine or Ani would get arrested for infringing on Cybot Galactica's droid design.

12. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
  13. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>> So a new viewer will watch TPM and see the kid with the droid, correct? Then in AOTC he will no longer have the droid, but will see it again. No big deal, the odds are high on that one, since he visited his home planet to find his mother, so where his mom is the droid will be there.

Right- no ?coincidences? so far?

>>>So then in ANH the droid is owned by Luke who later finds out that Luke is Vader's heir. What are the odds that the droid could land in the lap (almost literally) of Vader's son, the son of his creator?

Well, you?ve skipped the fact that in AOTC, 3P0 apparently pairs up with R2D2, then whatever happens in Ep III happens (presumably Leia and the Droids end up on Alderaan), and then in ANH 3P0 is still tagging along with R2D2 (who now belongs to Princess Leia, apparently) and goes with him down to Tatooine (sent to find Obi Wan, who is there because of Luke, who is presumably there because that?s where his gran lived), where they split up, and *then*, in the only true ?coincidence? in their paths, both end up in the possession of the Lars homestead.

Then in ESB they are split up, but happen to bump into each other in Cloud City.

So the only real ?coincidences? are when they are reunited in the original Star Wars film, and Empire Strikes Back, which as we all know are above criticism.

;)

14. Darthoffski

Darthoffski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2003
    stories are ABOUT coincidences and contrivances and how they all mesh together and how themes contrast with/complement each other. If they weren't stories wouldn't make any sense.

THIS is why Ani builds 3PO:

He is introduced to us as a gifted child with amazing abilities in terms of putting things together, creating a droid that could communicate fluently with everyone in the galaxy. He can fix anything

This is designed to create the largest possible contrast between the helpful innocent young boy and Vader, communication skills amount to 'follow my orders or die'. He destroys all before him

so, it's a coincidence, but one that creates a start point for his character arc. Thematically it makes total sense. As an event, it's up to you whether you buy it or not.

15. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Trouble is, George had Anakin building C-3PO because he thought it was funny, and probably not for the reasons you stated. At least, not at first.

16. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    But I'm sure if you asked George, he had it planned that way since the 70's

17. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    Couldn't the protocol droid that we all know and love simply have been placed on Queen Amidala's ship? Where does it seem more likely to find a droid programmed for etiquette and protocol: on board the royal flagship of a planetary ruler...or under construction in the abode of a 10 year old slave living in a ghetto?

3PO could have been introduced into the story in a way that makes much more sense.

18. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    He is introduced to us as a gifted child with amazing abilities in terms of putting things together, creating a droid that could communicate fluently with everyone in the galaxy. He can fix anything

This is designed to create the largest possible contrast between the helpful innocent young boy and Vader, communication skills amount to 'follow my orders or die'. He destroys all before him

so, it's a coincidence, but one that creates a start point for his character arc.

Very interesting, I like that explanation.

19. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    But I'm sure if you asked George, he had it planned that way since the 70's

ROFL!

Yea it's cheezy. But, hasn't it started to become that way since Return? I mean the tiwn sun set was awesome.. "Luke, I am your father" was great...

Ewicks, err works, or is that walks? <g> Now we are getting down right rude. Poor Ewan having a Jar-jar AND 3-PO. Then again, the bugger got a light sabre as well... (grumbles cause she wants one)

20. Darthoffski

Jul 13, 2003
    Lucas may have originally come up with the idea of Anakin building 3po as a joke, but the writing process is a strange process, sometimes an idea can come to you for one reason yet subsequently have a broader meaning for the story as a whole. The subconscious never, ever, stops working on the things that matter most to you and sometimes ideas that seem unrelated at first have actually, literally been formed out of what you are trying to convey with the story.

This is what writers are referring to when they say they don't know where ideas come from. They come from the same place as dreams (but let's not get onto that).

21. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I think it's worth mentioning the fact that C3P0 spends the OT looking down his nose at R2D2- while C3P0 being from a royal background would have provided an explanation for that, I think it's far more interesting to have the roles reversed and have the one with the royal pedigree be the "overweight glob of grease", and the stuffy english droid being made from scrap parts. Especially as they most likely get their memories wiped before the OT starts. I just like the irony...

Also- has everyone overlooked the foreshadowing (is that the right word?) in having the young Darth Vader building a "human-cyborg relations" droid?

22. Darthoffski

Jul 13, 2003
    yup, it's the right word, and the right idea.

23. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Wouldn't Anakin have to know a lot of languages to program C3PO?

24. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Unless he downloaded them from Kazaa. Seriously though, I would assume that the 6 million languages would come as software. Anakin would just have to find it.

25. Antbert

Antbert Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2001
    Maybe Threepio was given his language skill's when he was working for Bail Organa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.