Ani/Ami Databank 2.0 - Index and Discussion for A/P Fics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Ani_and_Ami_index, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Looking for an indexing partner!

Position Filled

2. Ani_and_Ami_index Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just want to announce that rhondroo has agreed to be my partner! [face_dancing]

I'm mucho excited and hope that together we make this index a fun place for A/P fans to gather.

So, welcome, rhondroo! :D

-PA
  3. Ani_and_Ami_index Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hello, everyone!

Well with Spring and the countdown to ROTS almost done and Anakin/Padme romance [face_love] in full bloom, we'd thought we'd offer a little challenge for you guys.

Write a humorous vignette 2,500 words or less about a holo message sent either from Anakin to Padme or Padme to Anakin using either See Threepio and/or Artoo. The droids can be together or one can be with either Anakin or Padme. Any other characters can be involved. It can even be in any timeframe. Feel free to add as much situational comedy as you like. :D

Put Ani/Ami challenge in your title and we'll make sure we index it.
  4. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Looks like we need to catch up with the new stuff. Bad Ani/Ami indexers. *Smacks self with ruler* :p

5. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    *takes ruler, smacks wrist*

I am still not over the theory that this thread eats people.

Actually, I had an idea (before even gattaca's thread): what if we just index the good fics. Like before a fic can be indexed, it has to have a mimmium of seven replies per post. Would that be wrong, evil, unfair?

Anybody jump in here. I want opinions!
  6. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't know...there are a lot of authors who write well, but don't have such a 'following'. Sometimes fics get buried too fast.

Maybe...I don't know, a vote or something? A fic is 'proposed' and then a committee has to vote on its acceptance? But that probably isn't fair either...

You could make a rule that each fic (like the archives, but a little less strong) has to have been beta-ed by one person and that someone else has to recommend that it be listed. That way you know that 1) effort has gone into it (why else have a beta?) and 2) at least two people have read it with a pleasant response.

7. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    It didn't eat me, but it chewed on me!!! That sounds good to me. We can even use and extra Indexer if Alethia wants to join us. [face_batting]

I'm going to work on keeping this thread towards the top, and when I work on the A/V challenge I'll make sure to issue one here, also. We also would like everyone to know that this thread can be for discussion also, or we can create a characterization thread if it's not too redundant and issue the challenges there and link here. Just some ideas. As you can tell A/P fics are really, really popular. I'd say they make up a good chunk of fan fic in Saga.

EDIT: I like the recommendation idea. That's actually a pretty good concept. These fics are moving faster than I had any idea they would after ROTS. I know, duh..Rhonda.
  8. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    Aw...roo...

But yeah, it's amazing how fast things are moving lately. Not that I don't find it wonderful, but it is a bit daunting...

And sure I'd help out. Love A/P and wouldn't mind spending time helping out here as well. Actually, I think it would be fun *grins*

The reason I haven't tried to discuss anything here is because I was afraid that I'd basically be discussing with myself. Which I actually do occasionally...but it looks funny on the internet, you know? *grins*

Anyway, I'd love to be able to actually have some discussion going here.

And challenges would be great. I didn't even notice that there was a challenge in April (bad Jenn, bad) otherwise I would have tried to do something. And I still probably will...after I get Kim's suitless Vader challenge responses done.

So, let's get this thread up and moving! Spread the word and all that.
  9. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Maybe we can sort of incorperate all those ideas. Like if a fic has a decent amount of replies, it's good, if somebody recommends it and there's a beta, it's good, and if we happen upon a fic with little replies, no beta, and no recommendation, but two out of the three of us like it, we let it in. Sort of ruling in favor of the fic while keeping the absolute dregs out of the index. ;)

Speaking of which, there's some horrible fics in here that are taking up space that I wouldn't mind getting rid off.

And yes with the discussion! I knew the mods were going to lock gattaca's thread, so I didn't bother to type a long response. Here, my friends, is where we can discuss A/P and our favorite fics. We don't need a seperate thread. Come, discuss, recommend!
  10. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    Only problem is how to get people to actually discuss here. At the moment...I think us three? Have posted. Wonderful numbers...I certainly don't mind discussing A/P with you two, but it's always fun to have more... Maybe we could spread the word? Take a few authors who we know like A/P (Kim, for instance, comes to mind) and PM them and tell them that we're welcoming discussion here? Then again, that might not work...I don't know how everyone would take it.

And yes, that would work, Pallas, combining all the ideas together. That way we'd be sure to get well-written fics in the database.

I'm still thinking on how we get discussion going here...most Databases are just that-only a database, with out discussion. So how do we get out of the mold and make our own unique database with discussion?
  11. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I'm always up for discussing A/P fics. :p

And I'm willing to help out doing whatever. Getting coffee, running errands, picking your dry-cleaning. You know, the usual gopher stuff.
  12. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    You're here! Okay, that saves one PM...

And now we have our gopher. Coffee would be nice, you know...

Anyway, it looks like this thread is going to start picking up, great! Let's keep it going.
  13. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I'll post here, despite the fact that I've only written one Anakin/Padmé story (long ago, in a galaxy far, far away :p ), since I'm interesting in writing another, longer one.

Anyway, a possible suggestion for how to draw discussion in would be to maybe changing the title of the thread (which silly me, just realized you had [face_blush] ).

I really like the idea of having standards, per say, on the quality of the stories added to the index. There's nothing more frustrating than finding a story that seems to have a good summary, and then you start to read it, and you discover that the author doesn't know "speeling" or "gramar" :p

LJS @};-
  14. nobodys_angel Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll join...does Vader/Ami count too? My two fics so far have a great deal of Ani being a huge part of Vader, so I guess technically...eh, you decide, LOL!

But I do love Ani/Ami fics of all kinds!!
  15. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    There's nothing more frustrating than finding a story that seems to have a good summary, and then you start to read it, and you discover that the author doesn't know "speeling" or "gramar"

Ugh, I so hate that...it really isn't hard to run a spell check before you post...most word processors have them these days...

And yeah, how do we want to go through the Index, 'weeding' fics out? Do we only go on grammar and spelling, or do we also want to take plot and overall the writing in gernal as criteria?
  16. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Yay, VLR64's here! Maybe if we just keep the thread at the top, more people will work their way in here.

Many indices that include discussion (like Amsie's J/TK index) have a set discussion topic (same with rhonderoo's Anakin thread) we could go that route, but who's to say that anyone will discuss if we have a topic? I always wanted to keep this thread sort of open, a welcoming place for oldbies and newbies alike.

We could totally PM. I know one index (not mentioning any names) that would post in each story thread that the story has been accepted into their index. A way of polite spaming. Not sure if we want to sink to that level.

Oh, my god ... People! :eek: Welcome all (take a quick break from my Greek and, boom!, people!)

There's nothing more frustrating than finding a story that seems to have a good summary, and then you start to read it, and you discover that the author doesn't know "speeling" or "gramar"

I prefer the term 'grammer' thankyouverymuch :p I've actaully seen that on ff.n "cool story, but your grammer needs work"

I'll join...does Vader/Ami count too? My two fics so far have a great deal of Ani being a huge part of Vader, so I guess technically...eh, you decide, LOL!

Yep, this thread has always been V/P, too. ;)

And yeah, how do we want to go through the Index, 'weeding' fics out? Do we only go on grammar and spelling, or do we also want to take plot and overall the writing in gernal as criteria?

They usually aren't mutually exclusive, in my experience. :p I say spelling and poor grammar can be overlooked until they start affecting the content of the fic. At that point, it's too bad. Plot tends to be a more subjective area of good and bad, so, unless it's like Anakin goes comes to Earth and goes to my prom and falls in love with a girl that looks like Padme, but it turns out he's an alien that can't breed, we might overlook it.
  17. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Plot I wouldn't count so much, because even if something has been used nearly a million times, the 1,000,001st time might be its best incarnation.

But writing level, grammar, and spelling are definitely good starts.

Would we look into characterization? The only problem I could see with that is that people have different ideas of what makes up a character's character :p For example, some people might see Anakin as a soulless murderer while others see him as a naive kid who got manipulated by Palpatine.

LJS @};-
  18. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    For example, some people might see Anakin as a soulless murderer while others see him as a naive kid who got manipulated by Palpatine.

Good Lord, LJS, don't get me started on that!!! :p

A good clean up is definitely in order. I hang out in the A/P Defender Thread so I can (go back) and try to get folks over here. And I'd say Vader/Padme is definitely in the realm now!!! In fact some of those are the best!!! :D

You haven't written mush until you've written the Lord and Lady of the Saga. [image=http://www.rhonderoo.com/aprecline.jpg]

:p
  19. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Okay, Alethia and rhonderoo, I'll go through the fics in the index, and anything that has less then 7 replies, I'll send you the link via PM. Then we'll vote on them - yes (stay in) or no (remove).

Sound good? (heavy reading ahead)

In the meantime, I'm curious to know what you guys' favorite A/P fics are. Not an 'official discussion' but that thread asking for recommendations made me wonder [face_mischief]

Any takers?
  20. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    Plot I wouldn't count so much, because even if something has been used nearly a million times, the 1,000,001st time might be its best incarnation.

Oh no, we couldn't do that. I mean more the execution of plot and the fact that there is one. People can think of a wonderful plot, but then the way they write it can make you reel.

Would we look into characterization?

The problem with that is basically what you said. In my opinion, as long as you prove the way you're characterizing the character, there is nothing wrong with it. Then again, if it's a ROTS fic and then Anakin suddenly for no reason decides to go pick flowers on Dagobah, you'd need a reason for that, or be considered totally OOC.

And I'd say Vader/Padme is definitely in the realm now!!!

Don't get me started. Wonderful...though you guys have ruined me so that I cannot see him in the suit anymore. Well, I can, sort of, but whenever I read a fic, my mind immediately jumps to him suitless and I have to read the fic to realize that wait a sec, he's in the suit...

And what's the Defenders? I went looking for it once, but I could never find it. In any case, it sounds interesting... Clue me in to where it is? Please? *puppy eyes, which I've never really been able to pull off...*

You haven't written mush until you've written the Lord and Lady of the Saga

Word. Absolute word. Except that I can't do mush...just dark romance. *sigh* Really ought to try to write a senseless happy mush fic sometime...

Edit:
    In the meantime, I'm curious to know what you guys' favorite A/P fics are. Not an 'official discussion' but that thread asking for recommendations made me wonder

Oh, that's a good one. I'd have to dig out links on my other computer (this is my new laptop, haven't finished transferring stuff from my other crappy computer yet). Um...hmm... Let me think a bit...
  21. Gina Force Ghost

star 4
    Anakin/Padme fic discussion?!?

Count me in!

*Gina pulls up the comfy chair and the popcorn and settles in*

22. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    And the people come rushing in!

I have an idea...for us authors out there, what about posting a link to this group in our fics? Usually the people who read A/P would be interested in this index, right? It would be a way to get more exposure and make it clear that this is also a place where discussion is most welcome.
  23. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Welcome, Gina!!

I have an idea...for us authors out there, what about posting a link to this group in our fics? Usually the people who read A/P would be interested in this index, right? It would be a way to get more exposure and make it clear that this is also a place where discussion is most welcome.

That would be a grand idea :D

I have this button that people are free to put in their threads along with the link to the index:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/uscathena/index/aaindex.gif]

I can make more, too ;)
  24. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    Ooh...nice button. And what about a few from ROTS? That would be nice as well, as long as you don't mind making them, Pallas.
  25. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Ooh...nice button. And what about a few from ROTS? That would be nice as well, as long as you don't mind making them, Pallas.

Ah, yeesss I could. Explore my nonliterary creative side once more [face_thinking]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.