main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Animated Anthology Film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Welsh Hero, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welsh Hero

Welsh Hero Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2016
    We have only seen one animated Star Wars film released in cinemas. The Clone Wars. But could other Anthology films be animated. Should they?

A big budget animated film set in the galaxy could look beautiful.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I'd rather they stick to live action for the cinema.

TX-20, Darth_Pevra, JediLight and 5 others like this.
  3. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I had a weird dream that I can barely recall any details from ( except that it was weird ) about this. So yes, I expect it will probably happen.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    If there to do animated films, they should focus on Han Solo, Luke, Leia, Lando and etc when younger not look for too many replace prior to The force awakens set in early time after return of the jedi. I would love to see an animated thrawn movie trilogy with the classic actors to do the voice over but I hope some elements are canon of the the Thrawn trilogy are canon.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I had hoped that they would create another TCW movie to bookend the series and tie up the loose threads. That probably won't happen but I can still dream!

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I've thought they should do that for awhile.

Take a page out of WB/dc's playbook and release direct to DVD versions of legends cartoons.

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I've said it one hundred times before: Pixar should do a film about Ewoks set years before ANH. It should be like the Ewoks cartoon series.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    They should do a gungan film. See if that Pixar magic can rub off on the most maligned SW's species.

9. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    How about an animated film that tells the Battle of Jakku? It could show the immediate aftermath of ROTJ in a montage and then follow the main Imperial Admiral who tries to take charge after Vader and Palpatine are gone, and that gets us into the next big conflict with Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Wedge, Akbar and Mothma all taking part.

The defeat of the remnant of the Empire is a big deal, and they could plant the seeds for Snoke's rise (post-credits sequence or earlier cameo) and the beginnings of the First Order with hints in this film.

Either that, OR do an animated film set between ANH and ESB. Show some adventure Luke and Han had together before they settled on Hoth. Three years is a long time. You could really focus on Luke and Han by having Leia lead the rebels in their search for a new base and Han sending Chewie with her to protect her for him. They could introduce a new droid that Han owns or something and maybe he has to be left behind in a chase sequence or gets destroyed in Act 3. Show Luke struggling to get a grasp on the Force on his own but making progress slowly. Show Vader discovering 100% that the rebel who destroyed the Death Star is his son!

DaddlerTheDalek and Dra--- like this.
  10. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    In many cases an Animated film may be better than live action, particularly ones set in times, and places, with people that have either aged to much, or died. In many cases people might not like recast actors, it might work in many cases if set in different times, such as a Count Dooku film set in his teenage years a recast could work, but set during TCW, or just before AOTC, an Animated one would be preferable, as a recast could be jarring. It could work, but many people would complain. It depends on the film I suppose. If a known character basically receives a cameo, then it would be easier to accept a recast, but a whole film centered around them? Animated would work better I think. However we might be surprised at the lookalikes they might find, but again depends on the film, or characters.

11. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    Agreed.

I would love to see a series of animated films about Anakin and Obi-Wan in the interlude between TPM and ATOC. Even though they already have a comic dedicated to that.

Or one about a young Qui-Gon and Dooku as a Jedi Knight.

Maybe the exploits of young Yoda.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  12. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I know some of the Star Wars animated films have been underwhelming for many fans; primarily because they are geared towards children. But animated films do have massive potential for the older Star Wars fans as well. Check these gems out:

It would be a dream to see an animated series like this on the big screen or as a TV series. The issue is feasibility but I can only imagine the popularity of a TV series similar to the above; it would expand the audience of Star Wars even more. ;)

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    How about a 'Darth Bane' anime done by Studio 4°C or Madhouse. Done like Berserk:Golden Age Arc but with better CGI. That would be great. Problem with these things is how do you market it just for adults and not have children wanting to watch it because it is a Star Wars story.

14. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    That would be really good! The trailers I linked are all animated but are appropriate for both an adult audience and a child audience. I think it is possible to appeal to both ages groups.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    This could be great, but I can think of nothing more disappointing than an animated Star Wars film taking the place of a live action film in a given year. If they do one, it should be in addition to a live action film.

16. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016

I was going to say a film about Lost Stars would be great.

17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Yeah I think that we are all talking about something in addition to the yearly live action films.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    In that case, bring it on.

19. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    No, I hate "The Clone Wars" and "Rebels."

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I just generally wonder about animated star wars movies.

People keep talking about the desire for such a thing, I just wonder if it is really there. Dc has apparently made over $150,000,000 on theirs, but that is for ALL of them. Anime is always on the cusp of going mainstream, but then you see adult swim cut theirs back. People are always talking about clone wars and rebels being too targeted towards children, but it seems like if you cut the kids, you're losing half if not more of your audience.

The only animated things that seem to be mainstream marketable are the children's movies. I'd actually much rather see that then any of the "more adult" options.

21. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Disney are masters of animated movies, so I won't be surprised that an animated SW Anthology movie will come out... But the question is on which part of the whole saga?

Maybe one on the 30 years of relative peace between ROTJ and TFA? Three decades is a long period of time and many stories can be told!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Apparently this is actually a rumor. I'd missed it, since it is a little older, but Latino Review posted a rumor about a Pixar/Star Wars mash up back in 2014.
    http://www.latino-review.com/news/2014/01/pixar-joining-star-wars-universe
    Latino Review is notoriously hit or miss, but the have had some (one?) episode 8 rumors that have been confirmed elsewhere. Could well be that someone saw some Infinity stuff and got confused, or its true and we'll see something sooner rather than later.

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

What about that fan made Tie Fighter 80's style, short animation? Animation doesn't have to be like TCW and Rebels. Modernise the tie fighter animation idea and you could have a film looking something like 'The Sky Crawlers' with some air/space combat with proper action unlike the bland combat we see in Rebels. An animation like this telling the story of a Tie fighter squadron during the battle of Jakku? Sounds cool huh?

Some combat from The Sky Crawlers for if you don't know what I mean.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    How about "Finding Nien."

TX-20 likes this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    TCW movie wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either (and it received lots of pretty negative reviews). But that lack of quality in most viewers' eyes was not what doomed it at the box office the most; instead, I think it failed to even draw people in in the first place. Far too few people took an animated SW movie at the theater seriously. Now, two things on that... it was under-marketed and kind of rushed to theaters at the last minute. They didn't originally plan on starting the series with a movie, but then they decided to mash a few episodes together into a movie-length release and get more attention for the upcoming show that way. Lucas himself had this idea first. So those issues wouldn't necessarily have to affect a new animated SW movie, but I suspect LFL and Disney wouldn't be too keen on the idea anyway, in large part because of the TCW movie experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.