main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Animated Anthology Film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Welsh Hero, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001

Oh, YES. THIS. So much this. (I know that Leia pic is from 'A Princess on Lothal', but i'm assuming the other two are fan-made?)

This has me so hungry for an animated Shadows of the Empire. Or even - now that ol' blue skin is back - a rewritten for nu-canon Thrawn Trilogy adaptation. Oh, no: now i'm going to dream about this and be disappointed when reality fails to make it happen. Sad face.

I'd love anything set shortly post-ROTJ, including a live action series, but realistically animation (with voices by the original actors) is the only 'authentic' way to get new stories with the younger Big Three, isn't it? Unless fandom gets more open-minded about recasts, anyway. I mean, i'm willing to try and imagine maybe Sebastian Stan as Luke and Billie Lourd as Leia but my brain's a bit resistant. It rebels.:)

Jonipoon likes this.
  2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

This trailer is done in the same animation style. I love how much detail there is, it creates a very realistic dark comic book look. A darker Star Wars animation done like this would be amazing I think and would appeal to older viewers more than Rebels.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

A live action Star Wars TV series is bound to have a much, much broader audience than the existing animated Star Wars stuff (TCW and Rebels), so I don't believe recasts will be an issue at all. There is nothing "inauthentic" about recasting characters, including the OT3. These are fictional characters than can be portrayed by multiple actors and digital artists.

4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

[​IMG]

5. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    For budgetary reasons, I think we're not there yet. When the big 3 are recast (they will), I'd prefer them to make an Anthology film instead. For a TV series, animation is the way to go.

And if there really is a live-action SW TV series, having one centered around the big 3 isnt the way to go (again, budgetary reasons). For the small screen it would be much, much more suitable to center arond minor characters - like a pair of bounty hunters for example (wasn't that how Underworld was supposed to be like anyway?). As usually I love making comparisons to the MCU, but there is a reason why they choose to make TV series for characters like Luke Cage instead of a movie, and movies for characters like Spider-Man instead of a TV series.

And don't say "They can make it with a bigger budget", no. In that case clearly you don't know how television production works contra film production. It's a lot different.

6. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    It's amazing to me how so many fans can clamor for new and interesting things in the GFFA, but simply cannot handle recasts. An odd hangup, IMO.

Not to mention a hangup that could prevent us from getting amazing live-action material between ROTJ and TFA...

7. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Underworld was pretty expansive. It was going to cover some of the same stuff that we're talking about now with the Anthology films. Han winning the Falcon for example.

8. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

It's not going to be a reboot, it's the same universe. To have the same actors for the originals and sequels, but different actors for something in between feels insanely cheap.

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    To you it feels insanely cheap. To me it feels like stories with fictional characters being interpreted by different people. It's been going on for thousands of years.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  10. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Well, it can make suspension of disbelief harder.

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Perhaps. But that's what the imagination is for. Exercise it. :)

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I'm totally fine with having a young Han and I'd even be fine with a much younger Luke appearing in an Obi-Wan film but I'm definitely not interested in seeing them recast for films set after ROTJ or during the OT time period. Animation is the way to go for those stories IMO.

Twain likes this.
  13. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Sorry for not replying directly but... I don't know... I'm a fan of old style animation as epitomised by the lush stuff produced by Disney right up until about The Black Cauldron. I know that movie was a bit of a flop and panned by most critics but purely from a technical standpoint it still looks great. Then Disney was in turmoil only to be revitalised by cost-cutting and a change of musical direction. Of course there was a handful of movies in between, but I haven't been enthusiastic for an animated movie (clay animation and Who Framed Roger Rabbit notwithstanding) from about The Little Mermaid until now. There was a magic about those older movies/shorts in which the process transcended actual film-making. I think people making animated features have lost sight of of the fact that animation was as much about the (mainly visual) process itself as it was about telling stories. Then CGI came along and the pure magic of making pictures move was lost. Yes, I know there was some computer work on The Black Cauldron but I'm sure it was relatively minimal.

Stylisation is another rant that I'll spare you most of suffice to say that I think it has something to do with artists overcompensating for technical advancements in which comics no longer look like comics. At any rate, I don't see how animation can appeal to adults at the way it's going. You might as well simply make something live-action

Having said the above, I'd watch an animated Star Wars movie if I felt that the story would appeal to me but I'd be nonplussed about the process.

What Are The Odds likes this.
  14. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Yeah, for once I agree with you but I still think the casting process in remakes these days tends to focus on the superficial rather than the essence of characters. Doctor Who got it right for the first four incarnations, Sherlock Holmes had a good run for many years, so did James bond. However, I'm not a fan of the recent Bond, Captain Kirk and the new young Han doesn't look at all promising. I think the new actor has one of those faces that instantly puts me off, I'm sorry to say.

15. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

I think with animation it all depends, as you can some pretty bland hand animation, and really good CGI animation. As far as CGI having no magic, I'd point to Pixar to disprove that (see also The Peanuts Movie, Zootopia, Big Hero 6, Frozen, and Shrek on the big screen; Feast, Paperman, and Get a Horse! for shorts, and the current TMNT cartoon for TV).

Styles of filmmaking change (case in point how Disney changed their music styles from musicals to Broadway style, to soundtrack only, and back to Broadway), and I have to honestly say that CGI animation, while it's unfortunate that animation has fallen by the wayside, has its own magic and has been a great addition to the medium.

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

A cell animation Star Wars film, yes that would be beatiful. Why not hire a team of Marvel comics best artists to work on a scene or two each and make it even more unique? Me, I dislike the Clone Wars / Rebels style of CGI animation like no one's business. But I'd be 100% down for a beautifully drawn and performed Star Wars anthology film in a heart beat.

17. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
    Yeah, but not a 3D CGI animation. A mature anime style (for example, Ghost in the Shell) adventure story.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Mature style animes often use 3D CGI, Knights of Sidonia for example.

I love the 3D CGI comic style the most. I can watch Paths of Hate over and over, it's art.
    Xwing Vs TIE fighter done like this would be so good.

19. What Are The Odds

Jul 31, 2016
    You're right, today CGI is almost always involved. But sometimes it takes away something from animation. It feels cold and sterile. Maybe if done with warmer colours, one could brighten it up. But in my previous comment I mostly meant Clone Wars, Rebels style 3D CGI. It's would be too childish for a serious animated SW movie.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    god, no anime.

WebLurker likes this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Yes I agree. But I think it comes down to money rather than specifically CGI vs hand drawn animation. There was very expensive, time consuming, hand drawn animation like the black caldron that looked great, but there was also cheap terrible looking hand drawn animation at that time too. I think today that relatively cheap CGI like Rebels probably looks much better to most of us than cheap hand drawn animation in childrens cartoons of the past.

Maybe you could give a reason for your comment?

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    not an anime fan and i think sw has broken new ground in the cg animated televison show. the graphics are getting better all the time and if they were doing a legacy character show the budget would definitely increase, giving us the best show of this kind to date. the characters wouldn't look as simplistic as tcw characters and even better than rebels.

if they chose to carry on the cgi animated sw show format, which i hope they do, if would be the best quality show of that kind ever produced.

23. What Are The Odds

Jul 31, 2016
    Well, anime has various drawing styles too. Most anime shows are goofy and oriented towards teenagers. I'm sure that's what you meant, but there is also better style aimed at adults. Like this:

The problem is that old-school or traditional animated movies aren't popular in western entertainment industry anymore. And that technique doesn't appear that often on the big screen, whether it's computer generated or not. It's waning. Only animated TV series still do it (or did it) on regular basis. Big screen animated movies these days are focusing on 3D CGI. Modern animations all are very childish with characters having strange body proportions. I don't watch them so much, so correct me if I'm wrong.

24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    A shame, really. As an animation fan, I like having both options. (Although I think the story and characters tend to be my biggest focus, so I'm not that dead set on one or the others. Besides, I think each medium has its pros and cons.)

Maybe. The only modern cartoons I follow are Star Wars: Rebels and the 2012 TMNT (the later is CGI, but uses a creative combination of 2-D effects alongside the 3-D).

Any specific examples? I can't think of any, honestly, which makes it hard for me to see your viewpoint.

I mean, for my money, CGI animated movies are becoming really great in terms of animation quality. It's not the same as classic animation, but it's not supposed to be. So, while I think it's a shame that one is overtaking the later, animation itself is doing really well overall, IMHO.

25. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Yeah the US big budget CGI animations are great quality, but if you want something that isn't a family comedy or musical, you are out of luck. The action adventures like Titan AE never made the transition to full 3D cgi because they made so much less money than the funny / sing song films.

Disney should take a gamble, they have enough money for it. They should see if the Star Wars name can make the more serious, action adventure animation genre, into being a profitable one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.