main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Animated Clone Wars Series Theater Release and Date Confirmed!**

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by SaberJedi2, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A lot of animated action shows, like Transformers, have 3 or 4 part pilot story arcs, but the pilots are designed for each part to be able to be broken off into it's own episode so after the initially debut airing, they can more easily rerun the pilot storyline within the regularly shceduled 30-minute timeslot. I think it's very safe to say that's the case here- there's no way a TV network would start airing a show to TV audiences with the 5th episode, they'll want to air the story in it's entirety (assuming ratings sustain it ;) ).

2. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Maybe, the fifth episode is also meant to be a sort of pilot episode itself.

3. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    So what's the timetable. How long is the movie after AOTC and how long until ROTS will the series go?

4. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I don't think that has been confirmed yet. The way I see it is they have a HUGE amount of time that can be covered. Theoretically, they can go from the last scenes of the clones departing Coruscant of AOTC to the opening space battle in ROTS.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Since it seems Anakin is already a knight as the series begins, that means the series starts no earlier than just after scene 3 of Chapter 22 from Clone Wars GT, which is approx. 30 months ABG. ROTS occurs at 36 months ABG, and the majority of the various lead-ins like Chapter 23, Labyrinth of Evil, etc start within a week or two of that, so figure the series has about 4.5 to 5 months of timespan where it doesn't overlap with anything major.

6. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I hope they stick to this

For all the people that keep saying the series will cover the whole 3 years of the CW timespan have there been any pictures of Anakin or anyone else which would suggest the stories will take place at any point early in the Clone Wars?

I have only seen pictures that suggest it takes place in the timeframe suggested above after Anakin's knighting.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm fairly certain this timeframe was more or less confirmed at C4's presentation- though I wouldn't rule out flashbacks or even a montage in the opening credits using footage from earlier in the war.

8. GrayAnderson5

GrayAnderson5 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2007
    I think that you are genuinely overestimating the ability of a controversy, continuity-based or otherwise, to go away quickly. Honestly, some things cause trouble for a long time (the Holiday Special has stuck around as a bit of a hair-pulling thing), while others go away quickly (notably those that we can't remember as being controversial).

I suspect that the degree of contradiction will dictate how this plays out; Qui-Gon was not a problem, but Jar-Jar still is. Of course, that's because there are a lot of people who don't like Jar-Jar on their own. The age-of-the-Republic incident was minor (it was a side-detail, for the most part, and it was resolved reasonably smoothly). Compare with the running battle in various quarters about the size of star destroyers or the issue about "how many clones are there"? Not fanbase-splitting issues, but still enough to fire debate in certain quarters.

And then there are doozies like killing Chewbacca (which is arguably going to last a while longer) and Anakin Solo (ditto), not to mention the aforementioned Jar-Jar as well as the "running flaps"...flow-walking comes to mind. None of these are continuity issues, but they do highlight how things can have remarkable staying power.

If I had to guess, barring brazen contradictions with existing fact (i.e. they decide to have Anakin take on his Padawan before he's knighted), there's a bit of fuming in odd quarters and that's it. Of course, I have the proverbial bad feeling that there will be something that gets badly fouled up either continuity-wise (which is why people like Abel Pena exist...to declare when the Emperor was lying in the budget) or plot-wise (i.e. some of the plots involve too many Gungans, to throw a fun hyperbolic example out there) that will cause issues.

In short, it won't be perfectly clean, and there will be dirty looks and rolled eyes for some time to come. Not everybody will be thrilled, but unless they blow something big, this will end up being a partially-loved, partially-disliked piece of the EU like many other novel sets, if somewhat more publicized. There will be minor flare-ups, but nothing earthshattering.

Basically, unless they bungle something on the scale of Episode I (which is alright with me, but it's loved and hated in different quarters), it ain't gonna split the fanbase wide open, even if there are loved or disliked (i.e. the very-long 'saber duel in Ep. II) elements.

'course, if they run riot over a bunch of pre-existing novels and so forth and we end up with an entirely new version for the Battle of Coruscant, not to mention half of the other stuff that's been laid down...let's just all hope they don't pull something like that off.

9. thetoastman

thetoastman Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2006
    There's a point at which the Clone Wars are becoming overstuffed, and I think that point has been left in the dust. This is a three year conflict we're dealing with here. For comparison, the war in Iraq has been going on nearly twice that long. And in that time, we're expected to believe the entire Grand Army of the Republic not only pulled out of nowhere the vast bulk of its non-Kaminoan war machinery, revamped said machinery three or four times, and saw the introduction of dozens of disparate starfighters, capital ships, and ground vehicles that were presumably rushed at inhumane speed into production. Oh, yeah, and the armor, equipment, and organization of the entire Clone Army was rather needlessly revamped entirely halfway through, and then revamped again almost as soon as the conflict ended. I'm losing count of the number of starfighters Anakin's flying around: the Azure Angel, the Azure Angel II, the yellow Delta-7, the yellow Eta-2...

Just when they should be winding down what's designed to be a very quick and dirty war, they decide to pour in some more vehicles, some more force organization errata, another starfighter for Anakin, and, oh, Anakin's padawan, who must either contradict or be squeezed into the 1/10th or so of the Clone Wars we haven't already seen, as must, in fact, the entire series.

I'm guessing when George conceived this idea, his initial thought was, "Hey, this would be a great way to slurp down a river of cash by dumping a load of pretty pictures all over the world of film and television", and continuity was an afterthought. After all, he just makes up the stuff; it's Leland's job to sort out his mess into a continuous world.

Not that I won't go see it, and watch it on TV, and buy the Blu-ray fifteen-disc collections, and the Special Edition 25-disc collections, and the tie-in plush dolls/action figures/wristwatches/Master Replicas shrunken weapons, but it's just kind of disheartening that the soul of Star Wars seems to have been ripped out Mola Ram-style and replaced with an ATM machine.

10. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Some would argue that this started in 1999 and is nothing new ;) (doesn't bother me, like)

Ultimately, this will be like the rest of the EU, in that you don't have to like all of it. I couldn't get into the NJO series, so I didn't read it. The Marvel series didn't really do it for me, so I didn't press too far into it. And I've tried with the Ewoks cartoons, really I have, but I've really got to be in the mood for them :p

The bottom line is - if you enjoy it, get as much as you can*. If you're not digging it, watch something else. You'll always have the movies... Alright, you'll always have the versions of the movies you prefer. :p

* actually, this is a general rule for life, I think [face_laugh]

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Agreed. :D

You can't really compare it to anything humanly, though. Earth is but one planet ... it'd be a much different story in a universe with technology far greater than ours, including alien species with varying characteristics. But, I'm just saying; just throwing down the possibilities.

12. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    Exactly!

13. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    Anybody else remember the hype leading up to any of the prequels? It was UNHEARD of. People were lining the streets for days, weeks and I think in some cases, months (so I heard). Midnight showings were reported all across the news. I can't recall anything but Star Wars (except maybe Harry Potter's seventh book) having so much buzz about it. With all of that being said, does anybody here thing that the cinematic release of the CW movie will have a tenth of they hype and buzz around it?

As much as I would like there to be because of the excitement leading up to the day, I think it will be a lot different this time around. I hope there are midnight showings, crazy advertisement schemes, etc. that will bring us back to the hype of the prequels. It's almost synonymous with Star Wars. Anybody else feel the same?

14. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Definitely! I hope there is a big buzz around the clone wars but not sure if there will be. I personally was the first inline for all the 1997 re-releases of the Special Editions and for all three prequels. I plan to be there for the Clone Wars too, I?m just not sure if I?ll be the only one.

15. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I hope there will be midnight releases.

I know this isn't as big as an actual live action SW film, but I'm just looking forward to a similar experience.

:D

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    They were quite fun, weren't they?

I think that's what where after. Another fun midnight release. :D

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think I might actually dress up for this one... [face_thinking]

I'd have to go as a Separatist though. No less.

18. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    I'll be Rick McCallum just so I can say "duuuude" and "****!" the whole time.

19. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    ^^ Hahaha. The DVD extras are quite funny when he talks. It's pretty amusing.

I've never been to a midnight opening, but if there are midnight showings for this premiere, I'll be first in line.

A Separatist? That would be something different to see in costume compared to the normal Jedi/Sith/Stormtrooper

20. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    You also have to say "It's classic George"

21. Grievous93

Grievous93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2007
    That's a good point, but then again you must take into consideration the clones. Most (maybe all, I forget) the video and images of the clones we have seen show them in Phase I armor, which was used during the beginning of the wars, if I'm not mistaken. But, based on the previous Clone Wars cartoons, the Phase I armor is over when Anakin becomes a knight (or shortly after). Wouldn't the appearance of the early clone armor point to the series and movie as starting closer to Episode II than Episode III?

22. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    You say that just because there are new ships and vehicles? o_O

23. double_blade

double_blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    Hi all,

With the wonderful news of Star Wars coming back to cinemas with the Clone Wars animation, I just had to do something to celebrate...and here is the result
    My own custom trailer for the Clone Wars series/movie.
    Made in the style of the prequel trilogies I guess.
    Heres the link
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBwHHVBQiE
    Hope u like...and leave comments & criticism on the youtube video page...

24. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    DUDE! That was great. I got chills when I saw it. It was definitely like the other trailers. Well done! I wouldn't mind seeing this type of trailer for the theater debut on TV.

25. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    d_b, that was great! Thanks for sharing =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.