Animated Indy Series - who'd be up for it?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Lizardmonkey, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizardmonkey Force Ghost

star 2
    Ford was almost ready to voice 'Bob the Builder' - I'm sure a quality Indy series similar to 'The Clone Wars' would attract him.
  2. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    He's never voiced an Indiana Jones videogame, so I dunno if he's that involved with the character to ensure he'd be up for an Indy voice-actor job.

I know cartoons aren't 'just for kids', but the freak-out special effects - face melting, heart ripping, rapid aging and crumbling, ahh... eyes on fire or whatever happened to Spalko - that made Indy so cool would probably have to be toned down big time, losing some of the appeal to fans like myself.

If they made it, I'd probably watch it. But they've already had one Indiana Jones TV show that didn't do anything for me, so I'm not holding my breath for another. It wouldn't be outlined by Speilberg/Lucas in all likelihood, so we'd end up with more Indy EU.
  3. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If they could continue exploring historic figures and events, like they did with the live-action TV series, it would be swell! ;)
  4. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd watch it.

Preferably traditional animation rather than 3D animation.
  5. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'd prefer strong stories, good characterization, regardless of whether it's 2-D traditional animation or 3-D animation. ;)
  6. WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd watch it. And while I expect CW to be good, I would also expect an animated Indy series to be even better. Indy doesn't rely so much on eye candy and the series shouldn't pander to kids in the way Star Wars often does (I don't have a problem with that for SW, but it wouldn't feel right for Indy to be involved in toilet humor).
  7. DarthGeist Jedi Master

star 2
    I'd watch it in a heartbeat. If you guys have seen the cover for that "Indiana Jones adventures," comic coming from DH (the one in the style of the now cancelled Clone Wars Adventures): I'd really love to see a show with that artstyle.
  8. zombie Force Ghost

star 4
    It would be awesome to have an Indy animated series done in the 1930's style the way the (really) old Superman cartoons by Steiner were done, even if they were just shorts.
  9. jedibri Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd be all for it. I don't think Ford has to do the voice. I mean it would be nice and all. But, there's way to make it work.
  10. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    Tough call. There just aren't any good Harrison Ford soundalikes. Just play any Indy game or any OT-era Star Wars game with voiceovers. Nobody comes even close.

Still, there are so many decent stories left untold. They could adapt the comics, or maybe the rejected Indy IV scripts(they'd have to be changed, of course, so that they don't conflict with the "real" Indy IV, but there's still some good material in there that needs to see the light of day). As long as it's not kiddified, and the animation is good, I am all for it.
  11. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    You mean Max Fleischer, of course. Max Steiner was a composer (King Kong, etc.). :-B
  12. zombie Force Ghost

star 4
    D'oh! But at least you knew what I was talking about! Yeah, Fleisher. Those Superman cartoons are still among the best animation the United States has ever seen.

I think eventually we'll see animated Indy. Even though right now Indy is basically Harrison Ford, he's done enough to define the character and how the character should be played that people can take that base and run with it--the only problem, of course, is that actors keep aging. Indiana's best adventures would be in the 1930's when the character was in his prime but actors don't stay 30 forever, so animation would really be the best way to immortalise the character, and you can do spectacular things and go to exotic places without breaking the bank and having to take a real crew there. Would be a fun little experiment if done right; it's sort of hard to believe Lucas never though of it yet, I guess he's still too preoccupied with Star Wars and Crystal Skull, but when Harrison finally hangs up the hat for good (maybe now, but maybe not) I wouldn't be surprised to see this proposed.
  13. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I have mixed feelings about this idea. On the one hand, zombie makes some good points about the character being in his prime in the 1930s (when he was in his 30s), and there are a number of IJ EU novels that look really intriguing (IJ and the White Witch looks particularly cool) but which I haven't read, and an animated movie version of which I would definitely be keen on seeing. On the other hand, so much of what makes IJ is IJ is Ford himself. The charisma, the voice, the gleam in his eye: these are all transient, human qualities that would be difficult if not impossible to capture with traditional animation or even Beowulf-quality CGI.

Let's just say I like the idea, but I'm not convinced it could be done to my satisfaction, so I don't think I want it produced.
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Yea, I'm not sure what I think about this. It's always weird to see something that started as live-action transferred into animation. In some cases, it works, but in other instances, not so much. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around an animated Star Wars feature. It'll be a heck of a lot easier to pull that off given the exotic locales and creatures not of this world, plus the majority of it would most likely take place in space. In terms of Indy, you don't have any of that. That exotic locales, maybe, but they're still rooted here on earth. It'll be a lot harder to pull off. So, I'm really up in the air over the whole thing. I would rather see Indy continue in novel form or another film. Animation? Not so much.

And Vort hit the nail on the head in terms of getting Harrison Ford's look, voice and mannerisms right. That's what really brings Indiana Jones to life and if you aren't able to capture that in every cell, then the series already failed. I'm sorry, but you can't have Indy without Ford. The two go together like a hand in a glove.
  15. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Ford's not featured in any Indiana Jones videogame, and they have the Indy feel captured quite nicely.
  16. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I thought the voice actor doing Indy in Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb did a pretty good job. [face_mischief]
  17. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I've never played any of the video games, so I wouldn't know.

Although, I imagine it would still be different considering you are controlling the Indy character in a video game rather than watching him on screen. You don't get the same mannerisms and facial expressions like you would in an animated show or film. You're either looking at his back the whole time or from his POV.
  18. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I would definitely be up for it. An animated series in they style of Clone Wars, Batman: The Animated Series or the old Max Fleisher cartoons would be terrific.
  19. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Fate of Atlantis/Last Crusade beg to differ. :p

I think that captured the Indy vibe very well, though of course it was only 320x240 so you weren't seeing any detailed facial expressions there.
  20. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Wait, what are you talking about? Fate of Atlantis and Last Crusade? :confused:

In terms of the vibe, I'm sure the games capture the Indy vibe well enough. After all, it's the feel and look of the image that contributes to that as well. But to complete the puzzle you need Ford and the unique things he brings to the character. You said so yourself that the image isn't the best and it's almost impossible to capture detailed facial expressions in the games. You don't expect things like that from the characters. In an animated film, half of it is the characters and their look. I think it'll hinge on whether they can capture Ford's unique mannerisms or not.
  21. chibiangi Force Ghost

star 4
    Personally, I generally do not like spin-offs or animated versions of live action. I didn't like Young Indy when it was on tv because it always seemed like a corny low budget wannabe version of Indiana Jones. Sorry, that's how I feel. Of course, I think I was in my teens at the time...

But then again, I feel the same way about clone wars cartoons. They just do not do it for me. Animation has a tendency to lend itself to even more outlandish types of things because it's a cartoon, there isn't much need for suspension of disbelief.

For me to get excited for an animated Indy, it would have to be more adult oriented, with adult animation and this crap current style of animation.
  22. NZPoe Jedi Master

star 4
    What would be the POINT in animating Indiana Jones? The series was always about death-defying stunts, risking life and limb and a healthy amount of some fairly harsh violence, gore and death.

I think it'd be as successful as that bizarre animated "Back To The Future" series they had in the 90's.
  23. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    ...hey, if they got Harrison Ford to star in live-action bookends showing off science experiments just like in the Back To The Future cartoon, I would be immensely happy.
  24. zombie Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey I liked that show! :p Granted I was like eight at the time so maybe its not as good as I remember it. Remember that Robocop cartoon from the late 80's? If they can do an animated Robocop they can do Indy.
  25. NZPoe Jedi Master

star 4
    I prefered the live-action Robocop TV show to the cartoon ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.