main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Movies Dicussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Iwishiwasajedi, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Welcome! Feel free to dicuss all Animated films. Disney, Dreamworks, Universal, or whoever. Just a few rules:

1. Absoutly NO FLAMING
    2. Please respect others opinions

I'll start off a question

Do you think the Hunchback of Notre Dame was as evil as many said it was?

2. Iwishiwasajedi

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't. IMO, HBND is probably the most riske disney film yet. What with all it's hell and god. It had a good storyline, and is one of the few "movies that are taken from a book and re-written" that are actually good.

3. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    How do people feel about the way animated movies are going these days? Computer animated movies consistently make more at the box office than do their hand drawn counterparts ... are hand drawn movies ever again going to make the kind of money that Mermaid, B&tB, Aladdin and the Lion King did?

I sometimes think it's got more to do with the quality of the story, than whether or not the movie is hand-drawn or computer animated.

4. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    Iron Giant is the best animated movie!

5. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    The days of the hand-drawn films aren't gone, but I guess that they are passing.

Which is a shame, we'll never see something along the likes of Dumbo again with CGI only.

6. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

I have been doing some work on a new Disney collaboration in the past three months or so. It's going to be quite funny, even though I say so myself about jokes that I concocted.

7. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    I remember when Disney and Warner Bros. were the two biggest animation studios around. Now they have Dreamworks breathing down their necks.

8. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    Iron Giant is the best animated movie!

This movie was excellent. I was a little skeptical at first, but it's now one of my favourites. I cried like a baby at the end, as did all my friends that saw it with me.

I loved how they made the Giant's face so expressive through the eyes. A slight change in the way they were drawn made the mood shift completely.

9. Iwishiwasajedi

Mar 24, 2002
    yeah, Dreamworks really did shoot out of nowhere with [/b]The Prince of Egypt.[/b] It was a goo movie, I liked that animation type.

10. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Is this discussion restricted to American animated features only?

11. Iwishiwasajedi

Mar 24, 2002
    Hm, I'd like to keep it too regular animation, but if you want to talk about Anime or other forms you can.

12. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    How is Anime not "regular" animation?

13. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    I think he just meant that Anime is a huge genre all on it's own. It has it's own thread in here anyway. :)

14. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    to me, hand-drawn movies give you a better grasp on the emotions. sure, the cgi looks more realistic, but the care taken to draw every frame mirrors the care to make the perfect movie for everyone. IMO, hand drawn movies will be back.

15. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I just saw the uncut version of BATMAN BEYOND:RETURN OF THE JOKER on DVD and loved it. It's the best Batman movie live or animated IMHO. It truly shows how evil the Joker can be.

16. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    But anime doesn't have it's own thread, it's combined with manga and I really don't consider them to be the same (no more than one would consider a comic book to be synonymous with a animated film). That other thread is more geared to the Japanese style and sensibilities in general, as opposed to a broader discussion of the aesthetics of an animated film.

17. Riku

Riku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    The best animated movie? I'd have to say the Lion King, since it is close to be a perfect movie. There are just no flaws. The story works, the characters are lovable and the philosophy behind the plot is nicely hidden. Also, Scar's coup and brother-murder makes it like a play by Shakspeare. :D

I loved it when I was a kid, since it was funny. I love it now, because it's an intelligent movie. Not really funny anymore, though. Except the coconut-song, which btw was Rowan Atkinson's greatest point of his career, IMHO.

"I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts, dum-di-dum / Here they are, standing in a row... Big ones, small ones, some of'em as big as your head!"

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Three best animated films IMO (which happen to be all Disney):

1.Aladdin
    2.The Lion King
    3.Beauty And The Beast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.