main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

animated Thrawn Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by casiel, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casiel

casiel Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2006
    Does anyone know if there are plans to ever release an animated version of the original Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn? Using the voices of Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, etc.?

2. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    Why would there be?

3. casiel

casiel Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2006
    So that old school fans are left with a better dialogue than the prelude movies?

4. Jaden-Skywalker

Mar 13, 2004

That makes no sense.

5. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    He means prequel. and it does make sence, the Thawn Trilogy had better writing a diologe than the prequels.

I'd like to see it but so far no plans.

6. Jaden-Skywalker

Mar 13, 2004
    All the EU animated would be better methinks.

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Lucas should honor Timothy Zahn's work, and give him the credit that's long past due by adapting this great trilogy into three animated movies, which in my mine is as good as the films. I also consider them the final trilogy which we'll never get to see.

8. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    If it were to be made, the voice of Thrawn would have to be the great Christopher Walken.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If there were to be an animated Thrawn trilogy, it must be artistically done.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    (If there were to be an animated Thrawn trilogy, it must be artistically done.)

Oh yes, I agree. Adapting to small screen would be tough though, but possible. Leaving out anything important would certainly kill this project, so they shouldn't butcher the story too much. This story has to be laid out somehow, either in live action or animation. It would be a shame, and a waste not to.

Oh, and the voice of Grand Admiral Thrawn should be none other than Sam Neil. I always pictured him being Thrawn.

11. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    I would love to see an animated Thrawn trilogy. IMO it's the best trilogy/series in the EU!
    I would not want it artistically done though, I would want it to be photorealistic 3D animation. :)

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    "photorealistic 3D animation?"

Is that the same style as the Final Fantasy movie that came out awhile back that you think the movies should be made into? God, I would hope not.

13. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I would also think Sean Conoroy would do good at Thrawn or Maybe Prices Brownen.

14. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004
    No, I am talking the very best of ILM here (or the new Lucasfilm Animation department).

But it's not that important to me that it's 3D at all actually, it could just as well be old school animation IMO. The important thing is that I don't want any "artistic" animation like the Clone Wars series.

15. cbrowns4812

cbrowns4812 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    Computer animation does not age well when it is attempting to be "photo-realistic." Unless it looks PERFECTLY real, once more advanced techniques come out, the older one's flaws become blatant. Pixar films will likely always look fine, since they are simply CG cartoons. Much like how even 50+ year old Disney or the nearly 20 year old Akira cell animation still looks good today, but Final Fantasy just looks a tad creepy (as well as The Polar Express to an extent.)

I agree that the Tartakovsky style may not suit the Thrawn Trilogy as well as it did the Clone Wars. I still maintain that, under the proper Lucasfilm art direction and given a healthy budget, any number of the Japanese and/or Korean animation houses could produce a fantastic adaptation of any EU material. Anime doesn't have to look like pokemon, you know. Just sayin'.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    "Creepy" is a perfect word to describe the Final Fantasy movie. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't know how to phrase it.

The Clone Wars animators would be great for The Thrawn Trilogy, but I think they should put more money and time into it than they did with the The Clone Wars.

The Thrawn Trilogy is definitely the best the EU has to offer. Nothing even comes close.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I still maintain that, under the proper Lucasfilm art direction and given a healthy budget, any number of the Japanese and/or Korean animation houses could produce a fantastic adaptation of any EU material. Anime doesn't have to look like pokemon, you know.<<

I'd even like them to take a risk and use an american animation house, just to balance things out.

>>"Creepy" is a perfect word to describe the Final Fantasy movie. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't know how to phrase it.<<

FF and Polar Express had the sort of "dead eye" stare problem that they're starting to be able to fix in recent years.

18. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'd even like them to take a risk and use an american animation house, just to balance things out.

I have to agree there. Japanese anime looks very unique, and clearly stands out as a genre on it's own. I don't think SW fits into the existing anime style.

Or maybe I just have a fear of Leia with giant eyes, and Vader with tentacles

editok ok, that was sarcasm, but you see my point

19. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004

20. hyouriittai

hyouriittai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Haha! You know what, I went to a Timothy Zahn book signing a month or two ago, and Zahn said that, if someone WERE to ever play Thrawn's voice, he would hope for Sean Connery -- but he was of course being facetious. There aren't any plans beyond the confirmed Clone Wars 3D animated series and the live action series for TV.

21. hyouriittai

hyouriittai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    The newest Final Fantasy movie, which is a direc-to-DVD release only, is a sequel of SQUARE's most popular FF Game, Final Fantasy VII. The characters are a bit more stylized in the "anime" style, though the textures are still phenomenal. I'm not sure if that'd be a fitting animation style for a hypothetical Star Wars TV series, but it certainly does it's job as it's own animal

Personally, I think WB animators who worked on the long line of Batman animated series (NOT "THE Batman", the newest addition) would be ideal for a post Original Trilogy cartoon. However, with that said, I think that in order to 'sell' a Star Wars TV series, it'd have to be something that kids could relate to, and thus I think if it were ever to happen, they'd probably spin off of the Young Jedi Knights or even Junior Jedi Knights books. :/

22. darthpup

darthpup Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2006
    I agree

23. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Hear, hear!

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Thrawn should have his own talk show. In which he assesses both art and the process of world domination.

25. BicentenialEagle

BicentenialEagle Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2006
    I always though that they should make a animated movie, straight to DVD, of the EU works, as long as they stay true to the stories. Not that he needs it, but Lucas could make bazillions(is that a number?) off of that from the hardcore fans alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.