main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animating an AT-AT

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by mitsu50, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitsu50

mitsu50 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2004
    Hi all,

Well my model has come a long way since i last posted. But i'm having some problems maybe someone can help out. I've animated all 4 legs, and now i'm using the Relative Repeat feauture in the curve editor. Problem is, and you can see from the attached link to the animation (a 1.7mb divx 5.1) that the legs fall apart after the first walk cycle finishes. I'm told that the small variations in the steps add up, and when the repeat kicks in, thats where it all falls apart. I watched the movie this morning, unfortunately there is no good long sequence to see the walking motion. Anyone know if the steps are all equal? In some clips they dont look equal, especially from the front legs to the back. Any help or tips would be great!

http://home.comcast.net/~anthony.vitale/3ds_files/atat.zip

2. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    looks like a bad link on the front left foot cause it's drifting on every step it takes... check the hierarchy on it, it almost looks like it's link the the knee pivot and not the ankle... aside from that looks like you've done a nice job...
    ;)
    Darksteps...

3. mitsu50

mitsu50 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2004
    Has anyone, or know anyone who has done one of theses guys? I've searched for information, but nothing to help. I gues this is based off an elephant walking? Its a complex movement since when one leg is lifting and taking a step, the others are rotating about the hinge above the foot. And the lifting part just under the body lifts to keep all the legs straight while they rotate. Can anyone offer some insight into how to do this with MAX? Is it possible? I'm sure it is. thanks!

4. Mushiman

Mushiman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    I think Master Zap animated an AT-AT for a test or his Kidwars film.

5. mitsu50

mitsu50 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2004
    I dont suppose you know if he visits these forums, or a website i might contact him? Thanks!

6. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Search for Kid Wars or look on TFN Fan Films for it. We have ATAT animations done for SOTS but I can't share them and Andreas is on vacation for a few weeks.

7. mitsu50

mitsu50 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2004
    i'll try and look it up.

I dont want to copy someone elses work for sure, but if you might share your technique for animating one of these guys it would be greatly appreciated. i.e. controllers, and IK techniques.

8. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Well.. I might have a scene file you can study. Email me about it. But if you don't know what's going on it still might not help. Otherwise Andreas would stop by and give you some tips but he's on vacation.

9. mitsu50

mitsu50 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2004
    You got mail!

10. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    I'm hoping you've seen this animation of the AT-AT. It's a little small but it's a good walking sequence.

http://www.anzwers.org/trade/jedinight/jedinight/gif.htm

11. mitsu50

mitsu50 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2004
    yes is have that one :)

i just cant re-create all the movements. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.