main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Anime/Manga Club*

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Spike_Spiegal, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    25. Excel Saga

24. Cardcaptor Sakura

23. Wolf's Rain

22. Gundam Seed

21. Full Metal Panic

20. Vision of Escaflowne

19. Dragonball Z

18. Initail D

17. Azumanga Daioh

16. Tenchi Muyo!

15. Akira

14. Chobits

13. Fushigi Yugi

12. FLCL

11. Hellsing

10. Sailor Moon

9. Love Hina

8. Ranma 1/2

7. Robotech

6. Fruits Basket

5. Trigun

4. Rurouni Kenshin

3. Inuyasha

2. Cowboy Bebop

1. Neon Genesis Evagelion

Where the hell is Mobile Suit Gundam? SEED is good, but the original is better and set the bar for all anime to come after it.

And why is Robotech even on that list when it's not even real anime?

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    That list makes baby jesus cry :(

Its so Americanized, I lost all respect for Newtype USA :(

edit:

Here's the top 100 animation shows/movies (this includes non anime) of all time according to the Japanese. I'm sorry about the way I posted, but I only did it to make as small as possible.

1. Doraemon 2. Lupin III 3. Heidi 4. My Neighbour Totoro 5. Sazae-san 6. Chibi Maruko-chan 7. Manga Japanese Fairy Tales 8. Mobile Suit Gundam 9. Nausicca Valley of the Wind 10. Dr Slump Arale-chan 11. Gegege no Kitaro 12. Majyo no Takkyubin 13. A Dog of Flanders 14. Galaxy Express 999 15. Spirited Away 16. Urusei Yatsura 17. Mighty Atom 18. 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother 19. Touch 20. Hakushon Daimaou 21. Moomin 22. Space Cruiser Yamato 23. Candy Candy 24. Obake no Q-tarou 25. Himitsu no Akko-chan 26. Jungle Emperor 27. Crayon Shin-chan 28. Mahoutsukai Sally 29. Kontyuu Monogatari Minashigo Hacchi 30. Ikkyuu-san 31. Dragon Ball 32. Dokonjou Gaeru 33. A****a no Joe 34. Yattaman 35. Cat's Eye 36. Ninja Hattori-kun 37. Attack No. 1 38. Scientific Ninja Team Gatchaman 39. Tom and Jerry 40. Adventures of Maya the Bee 41. Mononoke Hime 42. Rose of Versailles 43. Soreike! Anpanman 44. Majingaa Z 45. Oishinbo 46. Haikara-san ga Tooru 47. Iron Man 28 48. Future Boy Conan 49. Ace o Nerae 50. Slam Dunk 51. Inakappe Taishou 52. Tensai Bakabon 53. Kyojin No Hoshi 54. City Hunter 55. Laputa 56. Tiger Mask 57. Parman 58. Dokaben 59. Ribbon Knight 60. Devilman 61. Kiteretsu Daihyakka 62. Cyborg 009 63. Youkai Ningen Bemu 64. Chiisana Viking Bikke 65. Majyokko Meg-chan 66. Captain Wing 67. Osomatsu-kun 68. Babiru the Second 69. Mach GoGoGo 70. Yawara! 71. Kinnikuman/Muscleman 72. Fujiko A. Fujio's Warau Salesman 73. Cutey Honey 74. Jarinko Chie 75. Yuuyuu Hakusho 76. Glass Mask 77. Neon Genesis Evangelion 78. Akadou Suzunosuke 79. Asari-chan 80. Shounen Ashibe 81. High School! Kimengumi 82. Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon 83. Fist of the North Star 84. Yu-Gi-Ou 85. Pocket Monsters 86. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer 87. Yuusha Raideen 88. Akira 89. Runrun the Flower Child 90. Tottoko Hamutarou 91. Ojya Majyo Doremi Dokka~n! 92. Eight Man 93. Obocchyama-kun 94. Maison Ikkoku 95. Maicchingu Machiko-sensei 96. Hajime Ningen Giatrus 97. Karimero 98. Rascal Raccoon 99. Ken the Wolf Boy 100. Young Kindaichi's Casebook

So yeah, if you've seen all the anime on that list then you deserve to be called Otaku. Of course all of us only know around a 1/10th of that list at most. It really shows the difference in taste between the Japanese and Americans :)

3. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    Its so Americanized

That's because it's from NewtypeUSA ;)

Last year's list from the real Newtype as polled by Japanese fans was much better because it had Mobile Suit Gundam at first and Evangelion at second.

39. Tom and Jerry

[face_laugh] I didn't even know they watched that show in Japan.

77. Neon Genesis Evangelion

:eek: :mad: Eva should always at least be in the top three. :p

4. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    That's because it's from NewtypeUSA

Well yeah but still if your going to do a top 25 anime of all time only lists shows that are truly good not shows which are popular. Oh well it does prove that Americans haven't seen the good stuff, not yet anyway :p

Last year's list from the real Newtype as polled by Japanese fans was much better because it had Mobile Suit Gundam at first and Evangelion at second.

Wasn't the top 10 only mecha shows?

I didn't even know they watched that show in Japan.

I find it funny that its higher on the list then Evangelion :)

5. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    Oh well it does prove that Americans haven't seen the good stuff, not yet anyway

It's still very much a niche market in which most Americans can't get past the idea of it being just "cartoons" so we're really lucky to have even the stuff that's on that list.

Wasn't the top 10 only mecha shows?

I'll dig out the list...

1. Mobile Suit Gundam
    2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    3. Martian Successor Nedesico
    4. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing <-- incorrect title, btw
    5. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
    6. Vandread
    7. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
    8. Cowboy Bebop
    9. Lupin The 3rd
    10. Sister Princess Re Pure

Pretty much mostly mecha shows (and Gundam ones at that). That's not suprising when you consider that Newtype is a term from the Gundam universe. IMO they should either get rid of all the non-Gundam/mecha stuff from Newtype magazine or else change the name of the magazine.

I find it funny that its higher on the list then Evangelion

Well then, there goes the validity of that list IMO :p

6. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    9. Lupin The 3rd
    10. Sister Princess Re Pure

These have mecha in them? :confused:

-P!-

7. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    20. Vision of Escaflowne

yay ^_^ i voted for that as my #2 when i sent in my email. of course, nothing else i voted for made the list. oh well, i'm used to the idea that i'm forever in a niche.

8. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    If I would've voted...

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    2. Aim For The Top! (Gunbuster)
    3. Mobile Suit Gundam
    4. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
    5. Grave of the Fireflies
    6. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    7. FLCL
    8. Cowboy Bebop
    9. Millennium Actress
    10. Princess Mononoke

9. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I can create a list of my ten favourite anime, but don't force me to add numbers infront of it :p

10. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    go easy on my list, for i haven't watched many shows

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Love Hina
    Ninja Scroll
    Trigun
    Cowboy Bebop
    Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
    Escaflowne
    Akira
    R.O.D
    Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Awaiting my return to school from Christmas Break, my Netflix Queue:

Azumanga Daioh
    Ghost in the Shell (movie and series)
    Gungrave
    Sakura Diaries
    Chrono Crusade
    Amazing Nurse Nanako
    The Big O
    *non anime* Hero
    Samurai Deeper Kyo (VOL. 6; i missed the last of it cause of a test when it was shown in club)
    Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
    Noir
    R.O.D. (better res)
    Agent Aika
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Wolf's Rain
    Hellsing
    Mobile Suit Gundam Seed

11. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    Slow down, John. You've already seen more stuff than me ya dern n00b :p

Or actualy, that kinda makes me the n00b :(

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040

The original Bubblegum Crisis is a classic, 2040 I've heard is a bit meh.

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed

SEED is pretty good, but make sure you see the orinal Mobile Suit Gundam (movie trilogy and/or TV series) as well since they define what Gundam is. Also, don't subject yourself to the SEED dub under any circumstances. It's bad even by most English dub standards. It's done by mostly the same people who worked on the Inu-Yasha dub if that helps. *shivers*

12. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    My top ten list

Maria-sama Ga Miteru (both seasons)
    UC Mobile Suit Gundam (this excludes G-saviour)
    Galaxy Angel (all four seasons)
    Juuni Kokki
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Kodocha
    Evangelion
    Planetes
    Uchuu no Stellvia

You know its so hard not mentioning shows you love but you haven't finished yet due to slow fansubbers or the fact that its still ongoing.

13. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    Inu-Yasha dub

*fills ears with cement*

i watched ONE episode...and i couldnt stand it. Godzilla dubs are better than that.

I have a LOT of free time :p

and at 17.99 a month with unlimited titles on Netflix...i could resist [face_blush]

14. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Wow, FrostCon's going on now. Not too bad. Got a good mix of anime. I saw the second episode of Nurse Witch Komugi-chan there. The gift bag sucks. Only two things worth anything, IMO.

But I'll be going back after dinner for more anime.

b4k4^2

15. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    And why is Robotech even on that list when it's not even real anime?

Agreed. Wow, if that list is from NewtypeUSA, I've lost all respect for a publication that used to be the "inside track" to the good anime coming out of Japan. SDF Macross is the show that should be on that list, not the mish-mash of shows known as Robodrek. :mad:

16. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Question to you anime fans here: Do you all realize that without Robotech anime would be about 1/3rd as big over here as it is?

-P!-

17. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    It doesn't change the fact that Robotech is not anime. That's all we're saying.

Anime is defined as animation made in Japan for Japanese audiences. Robotech falls under the same category as Transformers, Voltron, or Battle of the Planets in that it is something that was an anime series that was molded and changed into something else for American audiences.

18. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    Anime is defined as animation made in Japan for Japanese audiences. Robotech falls under the same category as Transformers, Voltron, or Battle of the Planets in that it is something that was an anime series that was molded and changed into something else for American audiences.

To get pendantic, from anime news network:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=45

"Japanese word for cartoon and animation. In Japan, "anime" refers to any and all animation or cartoon - regardless of the genre, style, or nation of origin. Outside of Japan the word "anime" has come to refer specifically to animation of Japanese origins. Because of this, it is pronounced the Japanese way: "a-nee-may"."

I think it is silly to get into an argument over what is "Pure anime" and not. I also trust the people at Newtype to know the difference, if there is one.

19. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I gotta agree with lomion here. The shows you listed simply are anime. They may have some kind of a "questionable past" but they are still anime.

There's no doubt that Robotech is probably one of the, if not the most, drastically altered anime out there. Yet credit must also be given to it in that it never claimed to be Macross or Mospeda. I consider it the single best edit job out there. Hell, whenever I talk to folk about Robotech or Macross I correct them when they say Veritech and mean Valkyrie or vise versa.

It's also funny in that Southern Cross, and Mospeda would probably never have come to America in any form without Robotech, and "fans" eventually clamoring for the unaltered forms of these shows.

Question: There's some new Xebec anime coming out named DICE.... or something, I forget. This show is being made to be aired on Cartoon Network specifically I think. Is it an anime or not? Xebec is a long established company that has made many classics. I'd definitely consider this an anime.

Tenbits: I really do suggest you watch 2040 before writing it off as just "meh". While true it's missing much of the great music, style and atmosphere that made the original so great, it's definitely a great pop sci-fi watch all on its own. It's a few notches above meh, but definitely a few below the original.

If I recall correctally ADV footed a bit of the bill for that, the AD Police TV show, and Parasite Dolls. Basically everything outside of the original universe. There are some strong indications they may be working on a Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2041 too. Me wants it badly.

John: I must agree with Tenbits about the Seed dub. Only watch it if you want to laugh and wince at the same time. I'm a big Seed fan, a big dub fan, yet when I hear that dub I simply feel a violent need to hurt things. Most of the voices do not fit at all, and the few that do fit, even in a vauge way, are incredibly poorly acted. Flay's VA alone has to be one of the saddest things I have heard in some time.

-P!-

20. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    I am not a huge seed fan, but i've noticed that dubs do vary wildly in quality. A note about GForce/Battle of Planets. That is what got me into anime in the first place. Because it was a hacked version of the original does that make it less an anime? IMHO no. It may be watered down and changed, but it's a gateway and deserves recognition as such. I loved Robotech as a kid too ;)

21. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    and at 17.99 a month with unlimited titles on Netflix

you are wise young jedijohn ;) netflix has a nice anime selection, making it a really good way to check out things w/o having to buy every anime you have any sort of interest in. enjoy your queue :)

22. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    Well, I have come to reort on FrostCon 2004.

All in all, it was decent. Not much in the way of activities: only two viewing rooms and a game room. But it did have a good selection of anime. Got to see some FLCL, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Nurse Witch Komugi-chan, and Puni Puni Poemy. We also saw the fan parody This is Otakudom.

As I said earlier, the gift bag was crappy, though they did have an interesting Japanese catalog wih some interesting screenshots from the new Evangelion dating sim. They also had the Pillow's sticker from FLCL, you know, the one Trell tries to copy in his sig (and quite successfully, IMO). To be nice, I got him a sticker too. Too be mean, I'm hanging onto it until he sends me those CDs he owes me. [face_devil]

:p

All in all a good, low-scale anime convention (great price too: FREE!). If anyone's in the Western Maryland region around this time next year, drop on by. :p

b4k4^2

23. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I lubz j00 for getting me one. I under stand you holding it. I really do move slower than ass. :)

Thanks for the compliment on the sig. [face_love]

-P!-

24. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    No problem. :)

Man, I think my anime obsession has become unhealthy. I mean, I'm up at this time of night trying to find a site that has the first ending theme from Fullmetal Alchemist. I found it, but now I'm wondering how the hell I'm gonna get it to my comp (I'm in the university Computer lab). Wondering if my comp could handle DLing it on it's own.

In any case, i can always get it when I go home for winter break. This'll be before I get my wisdom teeth pulled of course. :p

b4k4^2

25. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    I've added more [face_blush]

Onegai Teacher
    Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Fushigi Yuugi
    Hyper Police
    Princess Nine
    Full Metal Panic