main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Anime Party!!!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by sideshow212, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    It is. [face_laugh] Um... I know anime can get a bit risqué, but it'd probably be a good idea to leave that one home for now Subjugator. Don't want to offend anyone, and we're still a new group.

2. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    I just bought Blood: The Vampire Hunter. Has anyone else seen this? I have yet to watch it and probably won't get a chance to watch it until this weekend. Would anyone like me to bring this to the party? I have to warn you that it is for mature audiences due to brief nudity and adult situations. In my experience (with anime) that is a broad catagory that could include anything from lots of blood and killing to monsters doing unspeakable things to women. Let me know. I won't even consider bringing it until I've watched if there is going to be anyone under 18 there.

3. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    You know, that's not something I'd really thought about before. I am pretty sure everyone at the party will be over 18, so I don't think that's an issue. But everyone has different ideas on what is appripriate and what they would and would not like to watch. There was talk earlier of seeing Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll, which both have lots of violence, and several scenes of nudity. And Akira has violence and some strong language.

Shall we take a vote? Would you rather we stay away from the ultra-violence (to steal a phrase from Clockwork Orange) or do you even care? I'd like an honest group consensus on this. Don't want to exclude anyone.

Though if we censor too much, we'll be stuck watching Pokemon all weekend. [face_laugh]

-> IA

4. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Pokemon?

[face_shocked]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

<takes a breath, relaxes>

Okay, I think that most people who watch any anime can say that it does tend to get a wee bit...um, violent and such. Perhaps something we can do is show the more "adult content" anime towards the end of the party so only the hardcore anime people (or the people who can/want to stay) are left and wouldn't be offended by that sort of thing.

Is that at all a helpful idea? :confused:

5. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    I don't care what we watch in either extreme.

6. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    That sounds like a good idea, Carenix. That would be my vote. What do you think, sideshow? You're the host, we can't make any decisions without you. ;)

-> IA

7. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Hmmm... well, I was surprised at some of the violence in Gatchaman, and there was also a "gratuitous shower scene" (**laugh**) that was very short. It wasn't anything that bothered me, though. If things tend to get too violent for my taste, I'll usually just close my eyes or leave the room for a minute. I don't have a problem with language (since I've heard worse from my neighbor anyway - she could make a trucker blush). But if it starts getting really... um... graphic (as in nudity and sex), then I might have a problem. Honestly, I haven't ever seen any of that in animé, and the idea of it is just plain out wierd to me. Still, I'd really like to see most of what's been mentioned.

sideshow, the decision is yours. :)

^.^

8. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    Make sure you stay away from anything with "Overfiend" in the title.

9. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    yeah, no "overfiend" or "la blue girl.." definately NO hentai or explicit anime, this is a fun party, but not that kind of party... thanks for the catch on that guys...
    well i think we have enough mild anime to last us into the night(macross plus, mononoke has some violence but its not that bad...i know some of you are bringing more), and then anyone who is over 18 can stay and watch some titles that are a bit more on the edge...like ninja scroll, and akira. i was planning on voting on the titles when everyone was ready to watch a movie, and as i have seen most of these titles i can warn everyone what to expect before we start the movie... i will absolutely not show anything that will offend everyone, or if someone has a problem with a movie, just let me know and i won't play it...
    sound good?

10. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    Heeyyyyy, I LIKE Pokémon, Carenix!
    <runs and hides>

And I pretty much have the same opinions as Kreleia does, if anyone cares. I don't know if I'll go but if I do, there ya go. :)

11. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    I don't care if people like Pokemon. I'm just Pokeed-out since I've sat through waaaay too many of those cartoons.

:)

12. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    No Yu-Gi-Oh either. Blah. Talk about a waste of air-time. I managed to sit through one episode once - that was enough. No more. And I know that the "younger" anime cartoons are blatant half-hour commercials for toys and video games, but this one was so thin that it was nauseating. ^^;

Oh, btw, I completely forgot that Rob and I are going to a concert on Saturday night. It starts at 7:30, and is clear out in Sun City - but I can at least come to the Anime party for a while in the afternoon. :) Wish I could stay longer, but we've been planning the concert for a while now. Big ol' brain cramp on my part. Sorry. [face_blush]

kreleia ^.^

13. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    i will be mailing everyone who wants to come to the party directions to my place tomorrow, wednesday, feb. 27th, prolly sometime after 6:00pm... i will email everyone together so i dont have to write 50 emails!!! so check your emails, and if you dont have the directions by thursday, contact me immediately!!! i will ge them to you will all possible haste!

14. skywalkersound

skywalkersound Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Hello,

Like I offered to sideshow
    I will bring; Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Samaurai X, and Akira.

If at any time any one gets offended, I have no problem not having them played or leaving them at home.

A sugestion... Perhaps for these non-FanForce meetings/ get-togethers.. Other rules could apply...

For instance... It was mentioned that everyone who was attending might be 18 or older (IA said that I think), perhaps this could be the rule for non-official meetings? This way a minor doesn't have to be subjected to adult (rolls eyes) material, and have to confer with an adult.

Any thoughts?

PS: I don't know how long the party will last, but if we get sick of anime, I do have some digital animation dvd's as well (Toy Story I and II, Bug's Life, Shrek, and Ants)

15. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    skywalkersound, just to clarify my statement a bit, I don't think any of the current Phoenix FanForce members are under 18. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Carenix and Tellesto are the youngest at 18 and I'm 19.

I don't want to put an age limit on FanForce meetings, except for unusual circumstances (no FanForce drinking games, etc. ;)) Like I mentioned above, I don't think it's an issue now, but we should make every effort to include as many people as possible if they want to attend. I think it's a good idea to start off this party with some of the lower rated films and then move up to Ghost in the Shell or Ninja Scroll later in the evening (props to Carenix for the idea).

-> IA

16. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Right on! I envy you. I would have got that remaster if I could have afforded it. I also still have to get Box Set 6.

I'm going to be at the Sedona Film Festival that day but with you guys in spirit.

I'm new to the forum and looking forward to the AOTC line up. (I was there for Episode I)

17. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    The only reason I brought up the under 18 issue, is that I thought I saw a post from someone asking if they could join even though they were only 14. I just brought it up because the invite went out on the message board and he and any others who are underage should be taken into consideration when we select videos to watch at someone?s private residence.

18. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    skywalkersound: please bring all of those anime titles! we can detirmine if we want to watch them or not at the party...but not if you don't bring them!!!

well, if you want my opinion, (this is my idea, after all) this should be an 18 and over party. no offence to anyone under 18, but it is kinda adult oriented...i don't know how liberal some kids' parents are, but i don't know that alot of parents would allow there kids to go to a strangers apartment anyways! it is just a fun get-together, but i really don't want to be responsible for anyone's kids...if you are over 18 and have reservations about watching these types of movies, either leave or don't come!!! i totally encourage people under 18 to join fan force though, the meetings and content for fan force is cool for all ages...this is a private party with some of the members of fan force, and is in no way a requirement to be in fan force!

so, yes, as it's my house, (and my butt if any kids' parents want to sue someone!)
    this will be deemed an OVER 18 EVENT!!!

BTW:
    all of you who said you want to come i have emailed or private messaged you my address, so if you want to come and haven't gotten directions, email me at sideshow212@hotmail.com and i will get them right over to you! ;)

19. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    So you're saying kreleia can't bring little Luke? ;)

(Sorry, your highness, I can't call him Jacob anymore...you're stuck with Luke from now on.) :p

-> IA

20. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    I support Sideshow212's decision to make this an 18 and older event. For that matter I think all events like this should be 18 and older. The PFF meetings should be open to all ages because those are held in a public place. Anything that is held at private residence should be 18 and older (21 and older if booze is involved.) Sorry if this seems unjust to any members under 18. Its just in this day and age where everybody is sueing everybody for anything, it is better safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents.

21. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    s'okay IA - I wasn't planning on bringing him anyway. :D Rob gets to babysit - weekends are his anyway. I sleep in. hee hee!

Actually, I think this being an over 18 thing is a good idea. I *don't* think, though, that *all* group get-togethers should exclude the under-18 crowd. In fact, permission should be *required* for those under 18 who are planning on attending activities outside of an official meeting. Precisely for the reason that sideshow mentioned. I don't want to get my butt sued, or anyone else.

Alright then, that brings up a really good issue for some common sense guidelines that should be written down and "set in stone" for our group. IA let's talk and get them down. That's something that we really shouldn't put off.

Anywho, I was watching Sailormoon this morning (my DVD) and it got me all excited again for this party. I can hardly wait! WOOHOO!!

her highnessness ^.^

22. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    oh, great... at least there will be enough real anime there to offset the sailor moon.... :p ;)

23. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    HEY!!! Sailormoon *IS* real anime, thankyouverymuch! Just cuz it's a girl show... :p I watch it in all of it's subtitled glory - I can't stand the dub. **shiver** (but I'm not a dub basher, so no worries there)

^.^

24. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    I don't care what there is as long as it's a Pokemon free zone. You show one episode and migrating herds of Pokemunchkins just find you some how. You don't know the horror of pokemunchkins until you've worked in a comic store !!!!

Why yes I have gone to therapy on this, why do you ask ?

-Void

25. skywalkersound

skywalkersound Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    I agree with sideshow
    This is his
    party, and I think that kreleia'
    ideas about a permission form is a great idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.