main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anime suggestions

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Mastadge, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Adara

Jedi_Master_Adara Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2008
    Vampire Knight
    After School Nightmare
    Absolute Boyfriend

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    ^Those aren't anime though but manga. Although there will be a Vampire Knight anime version starting next month.

3. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I definately agree with many of the suggestions above.

I've really enjoyed "RahXephon", a scifi with all sorts of confusing alliances. I would also reccomend "Scrapped Princess," a nice fantasy-scifi. It's a little obscure, but it's well worth watching. It's about a princess who is destined to cause the end of the world on her 16th birthday, so she was order to be executed as a baby, but a family took her in and raised her secretly. Now, as she's about to turn 16, they realize she's still alive and send assassins after her. There's all sorts of moral conflicts and plot twists.

4. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    Ok, I've been out of touch in Anime land lately, mainly because I'm in this dinky little town with NO Anime or Manga what-so-ever at the library :_|, but most of the titles listed are good ones, from what I either remember or the little I've seen of them. I have to give a big endorsements to two of my favorites that I have seen, being Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. Simply awesome.

But I do have a question for Jedimarine. You said that mentioning Kenshin was "the unforgivable sin". Just out of simple curiousity, why is that? Sure, it is a bit campy, (OK, maybe more than just a bit) but the Kyoto arc fairly well rocks. And I really enjoyed Samurai X, even if it was a little hard to follow at times. Like I said, just curious, not trying to start anything [face_peace].

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Just don't watch the Tales from Earthsea, which is slightly painful. I say, slightly.

The .Hack// stuff I enjoy most, from .Hack//SIGN onwards. Multimedia - anime, manga, games, etc. Slow start, but intriguing story, Mastadge.

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I watched Blood + Vol. 1 (when oh when will the rest of the series be available to DVD viewers?!). Many inconsistencies, occasionally silly, sometimes annoying -- but very beautiful, propelled by an excellent Mark Mancina score, with generally excellent building tension, fun action, and fine subplots. I will withhold a full review until the other half of the series is available, but so far I enjoy it more than I don't enjoy it.

Next on the docket: The Last Exile.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Tenchi Muyo...
    The first 6 OVA episodes are excellent, tell a story, and finish.
    Then they made another 7 that were OK, but didn't really go anywhere.

Then the movies... Excellent, ok, good.

Then there's the first TV series... Have to say after 5 episodes, I'm getting annoyed, and this is only 1/2 of disc 1 of _?

Then there's the Tenchi in Tokyo series which as far as I'm concerned was awful.

Question: is it worth the time to finish the retcon TV series?

8. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    ef - a tale of memories
    Kurenai
    Shigofumi

Three newer ones that are brilliant.

Plus, if you want comedy, can't go wrong with Hayate no Gotoku (Hayate the Combat Butler), Lucky Star or Minami-ke.

9. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I think this might be the place to ask this question: is Code Geass any good? I've been looking for a new anime series while I'm waiting for Gundam 00, and I've read some good things about Code Geass. Does anyone have any opinion on the show?

10. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Code Geass is quite good and entertaining (it's basically Death Note meets Gundam) however the second season was a... disappointment.

11. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    A FABULOUS and hilarious disappointment.

12. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Azumanga Daioh

Probably doesn't fall under what you are looking for. But it's great for a laugh.

~PK~

13. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Since it's currently rated #2 on Anime News Network (out of 3000 different titles!), I'll take your word for it.

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm making an effort to find Anime that looks interesting to me. Appleseed Ex Machina was basically what started me on this path, though when I went looking for the original Appleseed I found I didn't like it. Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood + vol. 1. They were decent - Blood + being better. But I can't find volume 2 anywhere. Volume three, easy to find. Volume two, not so much. Next, I decided to try Gundam. Starting with Gundam Seed. We'll see how that goes.

15. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Gundam Seed is by far the best of the Gundam series (that I have seen; still waiting on Gundam 00). You should enjoy it a lot.

16. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    You really should get some of the Universal Century era Gundam series. I always say start with the originals when you can. MSG may not be pretty by today's standards, but it is really fun series. And that's where most of the tropes of the franchise began. Zeta Gundam and ZZ Gundam are also fun series, just don't expect ZZ Gundam to be the same tone as Zeta and you should enjoy it just fine. But, I'm a big fan of the character Haman Karn...which may be another reason I forgave ZZ Gundam's flaws so easily.

But seriously, try to get copies of the original series and the spin-offs set in that timeline. SEED is good, but it's not going to replace the originals. Oh, and if you value your sanity stay away from SEED's sequel.

17. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Yeah, SEED Destiny wasn't so good. It was watchable, certainly not the worst in the franchise. I actually enjoyed it more than Gundam Wing. Wing seemed so random in places that I very nearly did lose my sanity!

18. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    I know a lot of people are going to jump on me for being "mainstream" (you know, since you need to like the more obscure anime in order to be "edgy" and "cool"), but I really suggest giving Dragon Ball a try. It's 42 volumes of good, brainless fun. If you aren't uppity about something insulting your intelligence, and you're not afraid to say things like "ZOMG TAT EXPLOSION IZ KEWL!!!!", then it will be a worthwhile experience. Trust me.

19. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Sometimes, you need a show like that. Something you can just sit back, watch, and admire the... artistic explosions...

Oh, come on, destruction is always a good thing!

20. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I got annoyed with the first episode of DB being mostly about some girl trying to get some privacy and ending up dampening herself at the end of the fight because she couldn't. That cost the show any attention I might have been willing to spend on it.

21. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    That's why I suggest the manga over the anime. It doesn't drag nearly as badly and if you want to skip some parts, it's much easier to turn a page than to fast forward to some unknown point. At least, that works until you get to Dragon Ball GT. After DBZ, the manga stopped and the anime continued for 64 episodes before being cancelled.

22. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    Space Battleship Yamato/Starblazers was my favorite cartoon as a kid. It's pretty much the only anime that I REALLY want to see as a live action movie. I would recommend the first two seasons.

23. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    ooo what a great resource this has turned out to be!

One thing is though I found Deathnote a bit weird. I couldn't decide how I felt about it after 3 discs but i just can't get hooked on it. I know a couple of people who absoultely LOVE it though. I alsolike Fruits Basket but by what you guys seem to read//watch I don't think it will be your thing.

24. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Can't recommend Cowboy Bebop highly enough, even if it is redundant at this point.

I'm sorry, but I have to make one HUGE correction here.

The english dubbing of Cowboy Bebop is, in fact the correct version (this is official, not fanboi ****ing) As strange as it may seem, the voicework originally done for the Japanese language version is not as high quality, nor are the voices accurate to the characters. The English version is, according to the director and the creator, the REAL and proper version.

Nobody should ever go into Cowboy Bebop with the mistaken assumption that the Japanese language track is correct. This may be the default case for almost all anime, this is the one case where it does not work. While not bad, the casting work that was done for the Japanese track resulting in very generic voices, and they did not align with the characters presented in the story (It's pretty obvious even to the untrained ear that the entire cast on the Japanese track consists of middle-aged Japanese individuals, who were struggling to portray a diverse, multi-ethnic cast of variously-aged individuals) The director went to great lengths to ensure that the voice actors for the English version were properly cast, and accurate to the characters. They accomplished this for the English version, and totally knocked it out of the park in terms of quality and delivery, too.

English Cowboy Bebop > Subtitled or Japanese Language Cowboy Bebop.

Don't watch the Japanese version, at least not first. You'll lose so much in the process.

25. Korppi

Korppi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    How about Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu Weed? Watch Nagareboshi Gin first before Weed though. Nagareboshi Gin came first and the story happens before Weed(Gin being Weed's father). It's an Anime about dogs. None of the DVDs are out over here and it has never been dubbed so you either have to watch it online or order the DVDs in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.