main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Anime] We Need a Support Group Too

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by blubeast1237, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Hey anime peoples!

I hope you share in my excitement in that now we have a forum well we can spread the disease that is anime to the people of TF.N.

I think we should start off by sharing our favorite animes because there are so many of the damned things.:p

Name: Full Metal Alchemist
    Creator: Hiromu Arakawa
    Description: Its about a boy named Edward Elric and his brother Alphonse who lost their limbs while attempting to bring their mother back to life. Now they search the earth for the legendary "Philosopher's Stone" that will grant them the necessary power to get their limbs back.
    Links:Its a manga too.

Any other anime fans out there?

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm not overly familiar with most anime, but I have seen all of the episodes and the film of Fullmetal Alchemist. Gotta love Ed.

"I'M NOT A SHORTY!"

:p

I found an icon with Winry on it a while back, I should have saved it, but it was so appropriate for her. It had a caption: "Boys are stupid. Throw wrenches at them."

[face_laugh]

The other anime that I've seen is Fruits Basket.

3. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
  4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Ah, did not know that. ( :oops: )

Thanks, lazy. :)

Is that on the Disallowed Works list?

5. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    So, do ya'll think if done right, anime FanFics could work out here?

-B-

6. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Sure they could... :)

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It is now. Thanks for finding that. :)

8. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    *CHecks disallowed works list*

Good. Astro Boy doesn't seem to be up there, which means he's open for FanFicing, if that's a word.

I know of Astro boy, his design fascinates me, but isn't he like a robotic pinocchio?

-B-

9. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Something like that...

Wikipedia Astro Boy Article

Its focus is on the adventures of the titular "Astro Boy" (or simply "Astro"), a powerful robot created by the head of the Ministry of Science Doctor Tenma (dubbed Dr. Boynton in the first series English anime and Professor Balfus in the Canadian dub of the second series) to replace his son Tobio (or Astor Boyton III in the first series English anime, Toby in the remake of the first series English anime). After Tobio died in a car accident, Dr. Tenma built Astro in Tobio's image and treated him as lovingly as if he were the real Tobio, but soon realized that the little android could not fill the void of his lost son, especially since Astro couldn't grow or express human aesthetics (in one set of panels, Astro is shown preferring the mechanical shapes of cubes over the organic shapes of flowers).

10. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    Just posted one now....feel free to use it as an example of how they stink or rock....I'll just be happy if a person has read it.

11. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Have to admit, I'm totally a big fan of anime/manga.

FMA is one of my favs, Saiyuki and Saint Seiya are as well. Both have such awesome characters, even though SS is suited under the 'five boys saving the world by their gifts' cliche. ;)

12. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Probably not the most amazing series I've ever seen, but I write a whole mess of Sailor Moon OC fanfiction. Silly, but a great show.

13. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Ummmmmmm . . .

Sailor Moon is published by Kodansha, which is on the disallowed list.

Is it just me, or am I mainly a bearer of bad news in this forum? [face_devil]

- lazy

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Is it just disallowed for the boards, or for fanfic in general? Because there's a metric ton of Sailor Moon fanfic on the internet. [face_plain]

15. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    RK_Striker_JK_5: Is it just disallowed for the boards, or for fanfic in general?

Fanfic in general, I'm afraid. But frankly, I don't think they're actually serious about enforcing their copyrights on overseas fan sites - or Japanese ones, for that matter. Like you said, there's a metric ton of stuff out there and some of it should have come to their attention by now.

Still, NSWFF rules are what they are and Kodansha has stated in no uncertain terms that fan fiction isn't allowed. Sorry.

- lazy

16. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Not at all. You're the... um... ah... Highlighter of Unfortunate Information.

Sounds more official that way. :p

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah, a bearer of bad news. [face_plain]

18. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm surprised to hear that we're not supposed to write Sailor Moon fics.

Stuff that I like:

Death Note
    Bleach
    Fushigi Yugi
    Strawberry Eggs
    Ranma1/2
    Inuyasha
    or anything else by Rumiko Takahashi for that matter
    Neon Genesis: Evangelion
    Spirited Away
    Digimon

anyhow, it's a shame that college and work put a major stop to my TV/DVD habits.

19. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    Awesome, someone else who likes Death Note and Fushigi Yugi. Just got into those series myself this year. :)

20. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    same here. Like I got into fushigi yugi while going thru the library to see if I could find anythign that looks neat and girly and death note's just popular overall around campus.

21. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Hello there! It's me, the Bearer of Bad News. [face_devil]

1. Fushigi Yugi

As you can see, it's published by Shogakukan.

2. Rumiko Takahashi

. . . um, sorry, wrong link. Rumiko Takahashi at Wiki Japan

Practically all of her works are published by Shogakukan. Please go find someone who can read Japanese in case I fall prey to the urge to lie through clenched teeth.

3. Everything else on the list

These seem to be fine. :)

- lazy

22. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    Just a thought, I know we can't write ff about them, at least here, because goodness knows how anyone is going to stop the wheels at like ff.n. :p But we can still discuss such, right? Last time I checked, discussion wasn't part of the taboo strip. Though thanks for letting us know when things are on the list. :)

And back on note, Deathnote does seem to have hit the mega popular lately. Probably the whole regilious/gothic/mind tingling sense of it all. ;)

23. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Neon Star: But we can still discuss such, right? Last time I checked, discussion wasn't part of the taboo strip.

Um . . . but we already have the SF&F forums and the Amphitheatre for non-SW story discussions. I don't see why we need to discuss disallowed fandoms here unless it's about writing fics.

- lazy

24. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    because we were fans before we became fanficcers lol and so I'm all up for discussion.

25. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    lazy, you say Kodansha disallows Fanfic, yet Mahou Sensei Negima is published by Kodansha, and at Comiket there was a load of doujinshi for it. Surely they'd crack down hard on doujins (which the authors actually get paid for) before they even come near English fanfic.

(and I would read through everything, but my kanji skills suck :p )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.