main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anime

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by MysticTrunks01, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    Anyone know if this new one that was released, Escaflowne, is any good? I haven't heard anything but the comericials.

2. Sentinel_Vash

Sentinel_Vash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Its pretty good I am buying the movie and the series. I liked it

3. tx1573

tx1573 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    I have heard it is quite good have yet to see it though. Nice to know there are some other Anime fans on here also.

4. Sentinel_Vash

Jun 25, 2002
    Heck yeah. I love Trigun and DBZ(all of Dragon Ball ). Whats yours

5. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Yep, me likey DBZ (like my name doesnt give that away) DB DBGT, Trigun, Evangelion, Record of Lodoss War, Blood, Vampirehunter D Blood lust, Akira, Battle Angel, Robotech, Spriggan.. and on and on.

6. Sentinel_Vash

Jun 25, 2002
    What bout X mike :D

7. Gytheran

Gytheran Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    How can you classify a Saturday Morning Cartoon(DBZ) as anime?... please... :D

You're forgetting Macross Plus, Wicked City, Lain, Nadesico, BG Crisis 2040, Coyboy Bebop, etc. Anime Fan? hmmm... possibly. :)

8. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Gee, i dunno, perhaps because it is?

I didn't forget Nadesco, no matter how hard i try to.

9. tx1573

tx1573 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    My favorites are Riding Bean, Patlabor, Gundam, Star Blazers(just got the first series on DVD), Harlock!!!!, Robotech, X (it was okay seen better), Vampire Hunter D, and Guyver. I also can't wait for Dragonball GT!

10. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    I couldn't Stand X. I'm for this dragon "i'm for this dragon" Then we must fight! ya ya ya... ugg we kille each other! repeat 6 times. And then the much Anti-climactic battle ever! I really wish i could have that hour and a half of my life back *glares at Otto*

I HAD the whole DBGT series on tape dubbed, but SOMEONE THAT SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS *glares at Otto* had there dumb dog pee on 5 tapes and ruin them. Be he is still going to replace them... or i'll take his thumbs in payment.

11. Sentinel_Vash

Jun 25, 2002
    DBZ sat morning cartoon ok if that were true. The same could go for Cowboy BeBop, Outlaw Star, Gundam, Akira need I go on. The only channels I have ever seen dbz on was Cartoon Net and what is now UPN and that was back in 95 and it was on sundays. DBZ really got the whole anime thing rolling again after the the movement died in the mid 90 because no one was watching it...By the way Joe didnt I get you hook on the anime kick anyway with Macross Plus!

12. Gytheran

Gytheran Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    Oh, sorry... Sunday morning cartoon. :) I don't ever remember seeing Cowby Bebop on UPN on Sundays though...hmm... I could have sworn the only place it is shown is in this certain slot of programming called 'Adult Swim' which is shown around Midnight to avoid the younger crowds... :D BTW I was joking... Otto, you know I like the Freeza Saga. I just hate being forced to watch it on the Cartoon Network. Battles turn into weeks/months long.

As for being hooked on anime? Macross didn't do it for me... I got hooked back in October of '99 when I saw Akira again with my Tech-School roommate Ron Bianci. The first time I saw Anime was when on the Sci-Fi Channel when I was in Alaska. I believe I saw Akira, Heavy Metal, and a couple others.

Yeah, robotech is Anime (japanese animation), which is really the first I believe I've seen, but I don't *really* hold it in the same light as I do other, less-childish Japanese Animations.

You know, we could probably get an Anime night going at some point.

aarrgg... you guys have got me started on anime... must... stop... typing.

I'm looking forward to finishing Evangelion, Trigun, and starting Gasaraki at some point.

Mike, how can you diss Nadesico, the comedic space romance? It's like Evangelion/Macross meets Tenchi meets Gekigengar. Deifintely one of my favorites. BTW, How's VH D: Bloodlust? I hope it's better than the first, as I wasn't too impressed with it.

A couple good ones I've forgot to mention were 'Armitage the 3rd : Poly-Matrix' and 'Burn-Up W'.

Diss Nadesico all you want, but I can't wait for the English Dub of the Nadesico Movie : Prince of Darkness. I've got the sub of it I bought online and I already like it.

OK, I think I'm done rambling for now. If anyone is up for a night of anime... I'm definitely game.

~Joe

13. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Honestly the first Vampire Hunter D isn't on my favorites list, but Bloodlust is just awesome and blows the first one away.

Uggg... i can't even think where to begin why Nadesco is bad. Poor animation, no original story, not even the "humor" is funny. I don't blame Otto for selling his copies, i would have given them away.

DBZ is hard to watch on CN, thats why we get the tapes and DVDs ^_^ MAJIN BOO RULES!... man that was sad.

14. Sentinel_Vash

Jun 25, 2002
    The first time I remeber watching anime was well Robotech and Ramrod, but it was on scifi channeland that was about 92. they showed Venus wars, Tank Police, and Akira and some others that I wish I could find but they are not out there on dvd yet all but Akira. SSJ3 Goku is the SH!t

15. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Bloodlust was quite a bit better than the first D. the story is told better for one thing. Still the traditional big gaps in the story as most anime has but overall much better in pacing and tone and overal storytelling.

Two series as a kid got me started in Anime... Gatcheman or as we know it Battle of the Planets. and Space Cruisier Yamamato or Star Blazers...the name was changed in the states for obvious reasons hehe. More than any other series when I was a kid Star Blazers was the thing. i didn't discover Robotech till late in the game and even now really only the like the original macross saga and not the ones that come after that. Akira has never really impressed me. Would rather watch Ghost in the Shell.

I also grew up on the first wave of Live Action Japan shows Ultraman, Spectre Man and the like.. the original ultraman not the one that hit not to many years ago.

oh only one mention of Record Of the Lodoss War and no Ninja Scroll? <sniff>

16. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Oh yea, Ninja Scroll! I rented that years ago and loved it, but just never got around to getting it.

17. Gytheran

Gytheran Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    Quote:

Uggg... i can't even think where to begin why Nadesco is bad. Poor animation, no original story, not even the "humor" is funny. I don't blame Otto for selling his copies, i would have given them away.[hr]

Boy, you do have a strong opinion of it, don't you? What exactly are you comparing it to?

This is a quite accurate representation of the anime from theanimereview.com
    [hr]From a basic perspective, NADESICO looks and sounds great. The animation is definitely high quality, the voice acting (at least in Japanese) is good, and the quality of the newly pressed DVD is superb. But going beyond character designs, look, and more of your superficial qualities, NADESICO has something I haven't seen much recently, and that is a reckless disregard for the rules of anime. It takes the typical mecha show conventions and turns them upside-down. The show makes fun of the standards seen in many giant robot shows while using them for its own purposes. Meanwhile, the show can also quickly turn dramatic...this is a war, and everybody's at risk. One minute, you're laughing yourself silly, and the next, you're touched by something different. I haven't had this much fun watching a show since THE IRRESPONSIBLE CAPTAIN TYLER, while at the same time there's much more depth than your standard GUNDAM series.[hr]

Simply put, it's a fun anime. Other anime critics/fanatics also agree. At one time even Otto liked it a lot... who do you think introduced him to it? At one point he kept nagging me to get the rest of the series so he could see it, which is why I don't really understand why he got rid of his.

I've never met anyone with such a strong opinion against the series as you. :\

18. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    I know what i like and when i don't like something.. i REALLY don't like it. I didn't bother reading but the first sentance in the review though. Rule of thumb, critics get payed by the people that make the movie to watch it and give it good ratings, "professional" critics are crap. True in movies, true in anime.

I use friends word of mouth and my own gut instincts. Otto right now is on the line of wondering about his taste after saying X was awesome and some other piece of crap i sat through and wanted to turn the DVD into a coster by the end. (you know Otto, the one Barry and Jerod and I all turned to each other 10 minutes in and said, so is everyone as bored as i am? and we all were, but still watched hoping something would happen, and all that happened was that we converted oxygen into carbon dioxide while watching the clock above the TV... yea thats the one)

I like most Anime's but lets face it, when an Anime is bad.. it is SOOOoooo bad, like, Battlefield Earth bad. or worse.

Oh and Ed, you might want to give Akira another try, its recently been redone and the way they wrote it this time is more accurate and you can understand the story unlike the first translation back in the early 90's

19. Gytheran

Gytheran Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    :)

When I said critics/fanatics I was talking about friends I know who are BIG into anime... even more so than I.

20. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Hmmm... Well anything i say to that will not come out as i intent in writing so i'm not gonna :p

And Joe, why do you have "Stupid!" in your sig? LOL

21. Gytheran

Gytheran Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    That's Ruri's signature line in Nadesico, of course! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.