main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Animorphs] With Me (Tobias/Rachel)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by MarasFire, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Author: MarasFire
    Characters: Tobias, Rachel, Jake, Cassie, Marco, Ax
    Notes: This is my response to my Words! Words! Words! - The Shakespearean Roulette Challenge prompt:

"When you do dance, I wish you
    A wave o' th' sea, that you might ever do
    Nothing but that." ?A Winter?s Tale, IV.iv.159-161.

[i]"Just dance with me, Tobias. Please."

A slow song started. I was surprised. I actually knew this one. Goo Goo Dolls...

It's funny. We've been on so many missions together. Battled Hork Bajir controllers side by side. Saved each other's lives time and again. And still, after all that, it's something as simple as dancing that makes my heart pound.

Out and onto the dance floor. I slid my arms around her waist. Felt her hands on my neck. I let myself relax. Something I can rarely do as a hawk and an Animorph. I gave myself over to the moment. Let the music's rhythm lull me into a waking dream. ? [/i]Tobias, [i]The Illusion[/i]

[hr]
    It was a romantic getaway of sorts?getting away from it all. Still, the thought of chasing down supper and then eating its warm, raw, bloody flesh was not appealing to normal couples.

Rachel had a craving for squirrel, though, and didn't see the problem with killing them.

<They're just rats with furry tails.>

I didn't point out that most girls don't find rats appetizing.

Instead, I kept tracking the squirrel?that twitchy, alert male gathering nuts. I started angling toward it, trying to remain inconspicuous before diving in for the kill. Rachel, in the body of that attractive lady red-tail, was heading from another direction to cut him off. Before I was quite ready, she said, <Let's do it!> She went into a dive, her personal spotlight on her even as a hawk. Her beauty and lethal grace distracted me from the hunt.

I watched her go, fierce beak and talons sharp and ready, and I knew the squirrel stood no chance against the Warrior Princess. From my high vantage point in the sky, I was still able to see every detail. Her dive couldn't have taken more than seconds, but her rising thrill and anticipation were contagious. I had hunted for my meals for years now; only Rachel could produce pleasure in the mundane.

Her wings spread as she pulled up seconds before she would've hit the ground, her talons piercing through fur and muscle to bring the limp squirrel?dead from the sheer force of impact?back to our tree. Nuts, fallen from his mouth and bloodied from his seeping head wound, served as a temporary gravestone. It was a clean, natural kill. Not like mauling Yeerks in their host bodies.

<Ladies first.>

Rachel used her beak to rip off a sliver of squirrel flesh from its stomach. I followed suit. Our tree had more space than I was used to, even with two hawks and a squirrel squeezed into it. I started using cramped spaces so I wouldn't feel alone.

<I never thought I'd see you again.>

<Don't be silly, Tobias,> Rachel said. <I will always be with you.>

We took off, soaring through the sky. As much as Marco teased me about being a hawkboy, I counted my blessings. How many humans get to experience the exquisite delight in riding thermals, diving - the sky above you, the ground spread out beneath you - and then pulling up at the last possible moment? How many birds of prey appreciated the beauty laid out before them? How many fell in love? How many were loved in return?

I felt as though I had spent a blissful forever in the sky with her, but it had to have been two hours. Rachel morphed back into a human girl, probably the only one that any hawk found beautiful. She cradled me in her arms, carrying me with her. It should've been uncomfortable, but I snuggled into her chest. [i]Rachel[/i].

Before I knew it, she smuggled me into the high school and passed me to Jake right outside of the boys' bathroom. He had smuggled in an extra suit for me, while Marco had taken care of Ax. I changed with some consternation as I had to remember how to dress myself.

I followed Jake's lead, without even a wisp of

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Taking a moment to hug you for wonderfulness that is presenting an Animorphs story: [:D]

And this... wow. A dream of how life could be, but for the reality of one thing: Rachel...

Loved story, and good response to challenge. :)

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This was a wonderful use of your quote! I'll admit that I know little about Animorphs save the premise, but in the end I believe that it was wonderfully carried out - I loved the desciptions of flying, and of hunting(eww! :p).

And then the end was a punch to the gut. Yikes, but that was a powerful ending in very few words.

Really, gorgeous job with this. =D=

~MJ @};-

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    :_| :_|

Why'd they have to kill my favorite character? WHY???

Beautifully, beautifully done.

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Don't know Animorphs, BUT my latest thing is to delve into any fanfiction from any fandom without fear - and I'm glad I did! This is such a powerful, short viggie. The last few lines really punch it home for me. :_| Wonderfully done with the quote (and it's great to see you again, MarasFire! [:D] ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.