main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Teegirloo, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I read Anne Rice's books on the Mayfair Witches a long time ago. It was actually the first time i really sat down and read it captivated me like nothing else since then i was hooked. There are three books that i know if there is more please let me know. The first one which is my favorite is called The Witching Hour followed by Lasher the last one is my least favorite is called Taltos. Has any one read these books if so what did you think?

If there is another thread on this go ahead and lock this one.

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I've heard about this books, but I haven't read them so far. What is the story about?

3. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    It's about thirteen witches of the Mayfair line in New Orleans, Louisiana. Being nominated by their mother before them, they inherited more than just the riches and control of the family, they inherited Lasher, the family spirit.

Suzanne of the Mayfair called the Spirit of Lasher, not knowing what she was doing. Doing her bidding for her and doing what he deemed best, led to her death, leaving her only child Deborah orphaned. At twelve years of age, Deborah took control of Lasher, as it would always be with each generation. Lasher would appear to each baby girl and upon her seeing him, would be declared the next witch or legacy beneficary.

Each witch handled their reign and time with Lasher differently. Some loved it and gained all they could from it like Deborah and others suffered greatly from his presence, like Deidre. What they all did not know, was that they were all a part of his cunning plan to create a witch strong enough and powerful enough for him to pass through and become flesh ... the thirteenth witch is what Lasher needed.

It's been awhile since i read it so i forgot alot of it but thats the basics it's a great trilogy the first is the Witching Hour, Lasher is second then the third Taltos.

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I don't remember much, except that I liked them. I think the first one especially because afterwads things get so weird and twisted.
    Still I read every one of them, even when she hooked them up with the vampires.
    Maybe this was not the most wise move, though some connections worked out just gorgeous, IMO.

What do you think of the mixing of the two?

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I loved the Witching Hour--the whole timeline/chronology and how the Mayfair family thrived through the centuries, also how the story unfolded as such a mystery. The whole thing with Lasher was creepy, but worked within the book. What I didn't like were the sequels, which I thought were too bizarre. I feel like she really ruined the storyline with those. I would recommend the Witching Hour as a stand alone book, but not those afterward.

6. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I agree that the Witching hour was the best though i liked Lasher but Taltos wasnt as good i was disappointed. The Witching Hour should just be read alone i think it's excellent and delivers the most quality than the others.

7. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I remember Anne Rice saying the a Witching Hour TV movie was in the works.

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    The witches trilogy: The Witching Hour, Lasher, Taltos are some of my favorite books, and are the only books by Anne Rice that I've managed to read through (can't get into the Vampire books for the life of me.)

The Witching Hour was a VERY frustrating book for me, mostly because I fell head over heels for Michael and Rowan - then right as we're getting into their blossoming love - Rice dumps 700 pages of witch family history right into the middle of the book! I could've SCREAMED I was so ticked off :mad: I forced myself to read it all because I was ticked off at Rice. Then you get a few pages of the happy couple - horrible things happen - the end.

GRRRRRR!

Lasher and Taltos make enduring the family history section in Witching Hour worth it. These 2 books take off where WH left off and lead you on a wild adventure.

Apparently she wrote several cross-over Vampire/Mayfair witch books also - I haven't gotten around to reading them though. Are they good?

(Reminds self to pick up books and re-read them all.)

I also head about a Showtime movie or tv series based on the Mayfair witches, I don't know whatever happened to it though :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.