main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Annihilation: Cosmic Marvel Storytelling!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Raven, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

When the likes of Thanos and Galactus are in a story and aren't even the toughest people on the playing field, you know it's big.

Annihilation and Conquest are pure storytelling gold. Much like the Green Lantern Corps running at DC at the moment, Marvel's cosmic series is one of the best things going in comics right now. It's epic, it's awesome, great characters, great story, good, beyond good and evil, rebel alliances against unstoppable evil fleets, and other levels of awesome. If you're a fan of Star Wars, then IMO you owe it to yourself to start getting this series.

For myself, I'm a particular fan now of Nova and of Quasar. I knew virtually nothing about those characters previous to picking up these books, but now they rank as some of my favorite characters in comics. Also, Drax. Drax is pure awesome.

Anyone else reading this?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Drax, who may or may not have a past in destruction? Or am I thinking of someone else?

3. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    That'd be the Drax in question. He destroys stuff good.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Except he's now slightly (actually totally) different to how he used to be.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Annihilation got me into Nova, one of my new favorite characters. He's essentially Marvel's answer to Green Lantern, except that the entire Nova Corps except for him has been wiped out. As a result he has ALL of their combined power. Very cool stuff.

6. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Nova is great so far. I'm really enjoying where it is right now, especially what with his power levels down and his old friends after him. A major problem is that my local dealer doesn't stock Nova so much, which made it tough to track down the issues that had gone by before I discovered Annihilation.

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I came late to the Annihilation party, so I've been collecting them in TPB. And it's definitely one of the best and cohesive story arcs that I've read. I've got to say that the best part of it for me is the use of so many of the smaller and lesser known characters, in the process making them all that much more interesting.

8. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Annihilation: Conquest (part five of six)
    Oh, he's down with it. It was his idea. The way he put it, if I recall it right, was "I AM GROOT."
    This week, the whole Ultron/Quasar/Adam Warlock section didn't really feel like it went very far. Obviously, Ultron taking over Adam Warlock's body counts as a pretty huge plot development, but it really felt a lot like things moved forward. Yes, we got to see how Ultron has planned everything out, how he's evil and all, but I was honestly disapointed for the first time in a little while. Maybe it's just the natural letdown of switching from the hardcovers to the singles. Hopefully not. Fortunately, the Starlord portion was darn cool. That whole bunch of crazies is just good honest fun, and the way that they always seem headed for disaster is funny.

9. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I've scene the trades around and i've been interested in picking them up, but they are a bit expensive. I'll porbably get them some time soon. I'm interested in Nova. He seems like a cool character and his book is nicely drawn.

10. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i really enjoyed the starlord parts of the story so far.
    mostly because they've revived bug, rocket racoon, and captain universe. some of those old mantlo characters really die hard.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I started reading the first Annihilation trade (couldn't finish cause I had to sell my store's copy ;) Gonna order more in) and dug it- and after finding out the Phalanx are involved in Conquest, my interest is further piqued (Phalanx Covenant was one of the big X-crossovers that happened back when I was really into the X books in the 90's, so there's a nostalgic lure there).

The series also has the most gorgeous series of covers, like ever.

Hopefully I can can get caught up for Guardians of the Galaxy.

12. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Agreed.

It marked the only time I've ever picked up a book from the strength of the cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.