main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Announcement: Away Colors for Moderators

Discussion in 'Communications' started by rhonderoo, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    rhonderoo did say that the mods can go for a darker green if they so desire.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That shade of green is blinding because of the color of the boards. We've decided that whatever shade of green looks best with the board(s) that the absent mod is moderating should be used.

3. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2006
    "Such an intractable position is utterly unworkable, Jeff; if a mod has to take 2 weeks off to organise, say, a funeral, or go on honeymoon; and for reasons beyond their control they have to extent that absense, we're not going to punish them for it - and why should we?"

Too many big words.

When a mod goes on holiday/short break/whatever they should be dropped to VIP by an admin so nobody can use their accounts for naughtiness (so many little brothers floating around the place you understand) then knocked back up when they return. IMO this green thing is just a bit silly because there's really not much reason for it, aside from current mods wanting to maintain their identity and not be lumped with ex-mods.

4. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Sad_Panda, if that is indeed your real name ( :p ), as far as I know, no-one in the MS really cared about the red colours not distinguishing them from VIPs. This policy was, as far as I know, a direct result of users contacting us about how confusing it became when mods went away.

Also, I don't think anyone who was around during Wisegate could cope if the 'away' colour was black.

5. Sad_Panda

May 4, 2006
    "This policy was, as far as I know, a direct result of users contacting us about how confusing it became when mods went away."

Why are they logging in so often "on holiday" that they're getting kids PMing them from the Users Online?

Seriously, non-event.
    Send a courteous reply PM and forward it to someone who can help.

What's the next problem I can solve?

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    my hair feels so lifeless and dry, what can i do to revitalise it?

7. England

England Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2004
    If I was away from being a regular JCC presence for a few days, I often found the urge to 'have a quick look' too strong to resist, and it only takes one logon and one person to check who is online for a PM to be winging its way into your Inbox. You can't check the MS without logging in.

8. Sad_Panda

May 4, 2006
    "If I was away from being a regular JCC presence for a few days, I often found the urge to 'have a quick look' too strong to resist, and it only takes one logon and one person to check who is online for a PM to be winging its way into your Inbox."

Then you send a courteous reply and forward the message to someone who can help, as outlined above.

You can't check the MS without logging in."

If you're dropped to VIP you should be removed from the MS allowed-users list as well.
    So your account actually can't look at MS while you're on leave.
    Less reason to log-in on holiday, yes? ;)

"my hair feels so lifeless and dry, what can i do to revitalise it?"

Deep shampoo followed by a rinse and leave-in conditioner treatment.
    For you I suggest...extra body.

9. England

England Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2004
    I was just saying why I thought a mod could all too easily show up on the users online thing, even though they're technically 'away'.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The idea is that if a mod is on vacation for a week or two and will not be active at all, their name will be changed to green and 'absent' put in their title so that if someone needs a mod, they can choose another one.

It's too much of a hassle to VIP and un-VIP people, and can make some users think that the mods have stepped down. Mods were changing to red, but there were questions from people who thought that because they were in red they had stepped down. This is to cut down on the confusion.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    DA,

Whilst I'm shocked you disagreed with something we did, I should point somethings you overlooked. For example, we wanted it to be clear if an issue arises Moderators in green aren't likely to respond quickly as they're on reduced time. As was stated.

It helps as the first question anyone asks when they see a name in red is "Did you step down/get demoted". There's no confusion between active-but-absent mods, and ex-mods, with this new colour.

E_S

12. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    The idea is that if a mod is on vacation for a week or two and will not be active at all, their name will be changed to green and 'absent' put in their title so that if someone needs a mod, they can choose another one.

Yep, got that in the opening post ;)

"It's too much of a hassle to VIP and un-VIP people...."

Which you, as a mod/manager don't evern do in the forst place.

"....and can make some users think that the mods have stepped down. Mods were changing to red, but there were questions from people who thought that because they were in red they had stepped down. This is to cut down on the confusion."

There's no distinction now between mods on holiday and mods on duty.
    Is there a standard response generator for "why is your name green?"
    Just another layer of silliness for people to feel liek they're doing something when they're not.
    And now the security of your mod/manager accounts are compromised permanently because, while they're not being used, they still their edit/delete abilities attached. I look forward to seeing how that pans out.

"DA,"

OMG called me out you're way too hardcore how's WoW going for you?

"Whilst I'm shocked you disagreed with something we did, I should point somethings you overlooked. For example, we wanted it to be clear if an issue arises Moderators in green aren't likely to respond quickly as they're on reduced time. As was stated."

You only hear from me when you make dumb decisions. And as I covered back up the page, how do you expect the 99% of kids to distinguish between the rainbow of colours you've decided to put on different situations modsmight might be? Shold they change their name to purple if they're moving house? To orange if they're having computer troubles? To sky blue if they're going to a funeral? To goldenrod if they're getting married?

"It helps as the first question anyone asks when they see a name in red is "Did you step down/get demoted". There's no confusion between active-but-absent mods, and ex-mods, with this new colour"

No, I'm afraid it's a case of people assuming you've changed your colours to green because you like it. Nobody is going to know you're absent so the entire concept of stopping people from asking you for help when you're away is irrelevant. And really, if you have mod powers attached to your account then you should respond to a request for help even if you ARE on holiday.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If it's a dumb decision, then why is it most people are "Yep, got it, thanks" with no associated dramas?

E_S

14. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Cause I think it's a dumb decision and I think I'll tell you so.
    That's what Comms is for.

:)

15. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm not even sure why this is even remotely a big deal, or even worth the finger strain to complain about it.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I guess I just don't share your lack of faith in the JCC users, DA: I'm sure they figure out quickly that green means "away mod" (and that entails a variety of reasons) really quickly...

But, what RS said.

E_S

17. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    "I'm not even sure why this is even remotely a big deal, or even worth the finger strain to complain about it."

Might be a relevant question to ask to whichever hard-pressed holidaying mod raised the issue in MS in the first place?

18. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay, everyone. Good decision, bad decision...it's made and we're going to at least try it out for awhile. The mod power thing while away for longer periods of time we'll discuss as its a good point. But then again, no one should be changing colors if they are going to be around at least once a day. That's a little unnecessary.

And as always, thanks for the input, DA, always a pleasure. ;)

19. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I actually think DA is right. . .

20. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't think a different color will clear up that confusion, it would be more effective to simply ensure that mods or managers actually change their colors when gone. It is fairly common to see a mod or manager who is "out" for a few days or a week do nothing in regards to altering colors so IMO it does not matter if the color is red or green or mauve, if 1/2 the people don't change the color to begin with whats the point?

That is not to say that everyone falls into this catergory, there are a lot of managers who do change their colors, but there are just as many who don't bother with it.

21. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Well thanks for breaking the MS cone of silence ;)

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    give it a rest, DA. policies like this are to DECREASE confusion, not add to it.

23. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    lol at Septic

24. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    So how does adding a color that only 1/2 the mods and managers will utilize decrease confusion, from my experience the confusion stems from managers not changing their colors at all. Using the color green instead of instead of red would only decrease confusion if all the managers actually use the system, which they don't.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I've been a mod nearly a year now, and there are some mods I've not seen be away...

Hence, why they're not using it?

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.