Announcement: Away Colors for Moderators

Discussion in 'Communications' started by rhonderoo, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. BKK Force Ghost

star 3
    Wouldn't it be less confusing for both users as well as easier for staffers [so they don't have to worry about switching up colors and such] to just have a thread here in Comms that was read only that listed all the current staffers and staffers on leave? To me it makes more sense just having a thread in which the first post is edited. Just make a thread in Comms and put a link to it in the Comms Index thread. I think the hassle of editing the first post of such a thread is far far better than adding yet another color and thus confusing people. I'm sure all staff have the ability to edit, so then the responsibility would fall to them to make sure that they added their name to the first post of such a thread as well as updating their title to "away".

Adding colors to a board system that already has far far to many colors to begin with would be a bad move.....but it's not the end of the world. In the end if a user can't figure out who's online to handle a problem then it's not really a big deal IMO, it's not like it won't get taken care of eventually by someone. It's not like the forums are going to be shut down forever because something didn't get edited or taken care of right away. This isn't brain surgery. :p

Plus if you PM'd most users around here they have absolutely no clue as to what all the colors actually mean. You've got blue, Red, colors with borders etc....I'd be suprised if you threw random PM's at users, especially newbs who would be the ones who would likely have the most problems knowing what staffers are "away" or not, knowing what color means what. I just think it makes more sense creating a thread in Comms, linking to it via the Comms Index thread which is a sticky, and leave it to the actual staffers to make sure they edit themselves in and out of the first post while also making sure their title reflects their status. Seems better than adding another color anyways. You could even dedicate one staffer whose job it is to update the proposed Comms thread when staffers go on leave.
  2. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    It's a uniform policy now. One which we can casually remind each other about when we know a fellow moderator is going to be away.

:)
  3. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Personally, I think it's a good idea and will cut down on some confusion when a moderator takes a vacation. I think it helps users who don't read MS Updates a lot, because they'll just see a mod's name in red, and have no idea why. My only concern was the actual color, green. But like rhonderoo said, a lighter shade will look fine.

4. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    "Cone of silence"... I like that. Don't let EV fool you, he gets paid to be our "rebel". [face_mischief] Can't have Comms getting TOO boring. ;)

To me it's very simple. If you see someone in red, they've stepped down or they are a game host of other form of VIP. If you see a green color, you know that mod is not active right now when looking through a thread or you see their name in their forum, but they'll be back. So you don't have to come to Comms and up the MS update and ask, "Did so and so resign? I see them in red?" You already know. They are green, so no they didn't. You've answered your question before you ask it. :) Then you also know that you'll need to PM the other mod in that forum or on that list, etc.

And as far as half the mods doing it, that's why it's now a policy. Just like having a background color. If they've told us they're away, we'll remind them to do it. And telling us they're away is standard. If a mod has the ability and is posting in their forum and checking MS, even on "limited" time (they are working doubles in RL and can't be on but thirty minutes or so a day, whatever...) They will not be green. Green means I am gone. They will keep their colors as it's not going to be THAT noticable and they can still "mod". We don't punch time clocks here and we don't have "set" schedules.

5. GIMERotic Jedi Knight

star 1
    OK, Roo: Break's over.
  6. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    But I'm having fun and haven't finished my coffee. :( It's too soon to go back to the JCC. :p
  7. Sad_Panda Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    "give it a rest, DA. policies like this are to DECREASE confusion, not add to it."

You gonna be the go-to guy that explains to the umpteen kids asking for assistance that, no, the green names in the Users Online aren't mods that simply like green undersnames, they're on holiday....which is the exzct scenario they have a problem with atm? And that no, they really are still mods with edit/delete/ban powers but refuse to help you because they're on holday and changed their names to green to demonstrate that fact?

Is that guy gonna be you e?

"To me it's very simple. If you see someone in red, they've stepped down or they are a game host of other form of VIP. If you see a green color, you know that mod is not active right now when looking through a thread or you see their name in their forum, but they'll be back."

So I take it there's going to be an agenda of "public education" for the average user who doesn't read Comms? Like, for instance, a fresh new sticky/announcement thread in every JC forum explaining the meaning of the green usernames in the Users Online list and a mention not to PM them when you need help? Because in all likliehood, that's the only way I can see the vast majority of users learning about this silly, random policy.
  8. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I say it should be. epic needs something to do, that whole JCC Tag thing was a mess. Just a mess.

Kidding, e. :p

A sticky isn't a bad idea. I certainly don't mind educating those who get it mixed up. But Comms is where announcements are generally made. We haven't put it in place, yet. When we get the first couple of mods going away, we'll see how it works out. I hestitate to agree with silly or random until we see it in action. If it doesn't work out and causes more confusion, I'll personally put it in my sig that I'm a failure as a human being. :p
  9. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    there will always be people who don't and won't know
    few people know the coloring regulations of FanForce (transparent background for ex-RSAs?)
    more people will now know that green mods are still mods, but just away (no more "oh noes, he was demoted!") and there is no such thing as a red mod

hey, does that mean ex-RSAs can have every color but green now? o_O
  10. Sad_Panda Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    A "uniform policy" sounds like it needs to be advertised in every JC forum to make sure there's no mistakes in the future, which is really what this policy is about, and it needs to be advertised especially so considering the vast majority of those in Fan Fic or RPG or EUC or Costuming or PT or The Senate or JCC will actually read this forum or this specific announcement thread.

Are all those JC mods and managers ready to actually do something in unison, to take action based on their own MS decisions (or their non-decisions, as the case may be?)?
    Are they even capable of it these days?

"more people will now know that green mods are still mods, but just away (no more "oh noes, he was demoted!") and there is no such thing as a red mod"

lol how do you figure they'll know that?
    When they ask you for help and you say no cause you're on holiday?
    lol
  11. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Senny, you just like doing this, don't you?

[image=http://uplink.space.com/attachments/407643-can_of_worms.jpg]

:p
  12. epic Ex Mod

star 7
    no, but i was the guy who'd made that post whilst his colours were green thus making an oh so comical comment and i was waiting for you to come back but you didn't so i gave up on the joke and went back to white like an hour ago and now you're here and oh it's all over now

/tear
  13. epic Ex Mod

star 7
    say what you like about the GAUNTLET but that TAG game was ROCKIN'.

sorta.
  14. Sad_Panda Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    [face_wipes_tear_away]

I would have lol'd :p
  15. epic Ex Mod

star 7
    let's never fight again!
  16. Sad_Panda Jedi Grand Master

star 1
  17. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    DA, you're breaking my heart. :( [face_mischief]

On how they'll know, I'd say they see the green color and pm another mod. If not, when it's not answered in a day or so, they'll know. ;) That's why I made this post as an announcement vs. just a blurb in the update, so folks will see and know that if they've pm'd a mod that's showing green, it won't be answered until they are back, they can wait or choose a mod that's online.

Comms is where we update users. It's a user's responsibility to come and find out what's going on in their JC if they care enough to do so. I really don't think it'll be a big issue, but as always, any time spent with DA and epic is quality for me. [face_love]
  18. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    Yes. As a uniform policy it affects all moderators and it will be followed. It's not a big change though so it'll be easy to remember. If not, a casually reminder will ensure that it's being followed. As far as being advertised, since we're changing our titles to explain the reason we're green, there's no need to really "advertise" it extensively I think. You might have a point though if it comes down to that.

And yes, we are ready to do something in unison. :p
  19. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    So red still = ex-mod/game host/VIP whereas green = still mod but on more than usual reduced time?

Sounds simple enough. :)
  20. Sad_Panda Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    "...since we're changing our titles to explain the reason we're green, there's no need to really "advertise" it extensively I think. You might have a point though if it comes down to that."

Title don't showup in the Users Online list when the kids are in need of emergency help against a troll/spammer/flamer/whatever and your on-holiday username shows up.

How do they know to contact someone else unless:

a) they've read this thread (which...let's be honest...they haven't)
    b) they already know you're on holiday
    c) you reply to their request telling them as much

Of those three options, I don't see any helping anyone except for excusing mods (with active edit/delete/ban powers no less) from forwarding the request on to "not on holiday" mods and NOT replying with "I'm not demoted just on holiday" messages. This policy doesn't help users at all, it just gives mods another reason to be complacent in their responsibilities.
  21. Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod

star 6
    Title don't showup in the Users Online list when the kids are in need of emergency help against a troll/spammer/flamer/whatever and your on-holiday username shows up.

Mods on leave normally wont show up on the online user list anyways.
  22. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If the primary concern is that people will know that said mod isn't here then isn't the best color choice red since that is what everyone associates with retired mods? The casual poster will see a red mod and be like "Well that person can't help me" while the forum regular should be aware that said mod is away. I'd much rather have someone think I was demoted than go "green" (which I won't I plan on sticking with teh red or not even changing) as that just creates more confusion and is another silly rule.

Senny does have a point about the green RSA thing.

I don't see how going from "Red" to "Green" is a way to slack off.
  23. England Jedi Knight

star 3
    That's a ludicrous statement. The policy was obviously intended to help. You may have issues with it's usefulness, but suggesting the motivation is a desire to slacken off is a cheap shot and to me reveals the true intent behind this argument... to undermine as much as possible a wholly well intentioned (but not perfect) attempt to resolve an ongoing issue. Attack the policy if you absolutely must, but don't make such a stupid claim regarding its genesis.
  24. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Okay. I think I'm officially becoming impatient with this now. We've gone on long enough about a policy that hasn't been put into place now for a good day or two and while I've enjoyed the conversation, I'm not going to keep belaboring this issue any more and I don't think any of the rest of us need to. Let's wait to see how it actucally works out before we complain anymore, shall we? EV, I'm pretty sure we can count on you to stick with the policy if you are supposed to. ;)

Thanks for the wonderful ideas, comments, suggestions, and input... we value them and as always will take points raised here into consideration. :)
  25. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    I have been a user here for over 3 years, and I have also seen things. Namely managers who are on vaca or limited time, and have not changed their colors. It sucks to send a PM to a manager who's colors are normal and then find out after a few days of waiting and a PM to another mod in the forum that said person won't be back for a while.

It isn't that uncommon in some forums. ;)
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.