main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Announcement: Boston Rebels Website!

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by starwarschick14, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I have fantastic news! Our newest member, Kaylle, has the web skills necessary to build us a website. This is going to be a group effort! I'm counting on you guys to help me with the content aspect, and Kaylle will help us put it all together. I used the $5 in our meager treasury (which was contributed by Richie back at Super Megafest, thanks again!) plus $4.20 of my own money to register the domain, and Kaylle is being extremely generous to host it on her server. More details will be announced soon as we get more time to work out some initial setup.

http://www.bostonrebels.com

Everyone please thank Kaylle for contributing her time and server space to something so great for our group! I'm so excited about this! :D

Please feel free to post any suggestions for content on the site. :)

2. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Remember to never bash the mods. ;)

3. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Or have them think you did. ;)

4. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    YEAH!!!! A new website!!!! :)

5. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    It'll be good to have a new site to go to. Will it have some of the features that some of the other groups sites have, like it's own message board?

6. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Very cool indeed! :D

7. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Thank you Kaylle. Can't wait to see the full site when it's up. And don't forget, you have DW's help w/ the graphics if you need it. ;)

8. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I haven't talked to Kaylle about having our own message board yet. Of course that's our ultimate goal in having our own website, but it's not a simple process so it will probably be one of the last things we do, if ever. We'll keep you all posted though. :)

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Rosie

Many message boards nowadays run on the phpBB script, which is free, relatively easy to set up, and easy to maintain, as well. If Kaylle wishes, I could direct her to my squadron's commanding officer, who runs the CommNet board on the Morning Star's site. He should be able to answer any questions she may have by email. :D

10. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    She may even know how to do that stuff already, I don't know. But thanks for the info! Hopefully something will come of the idea. :)

11. Kaylle

Kaylle Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2004
    Sorry! That's what I get for not checking this thread ;). I can put up a board with very little trouble, if I remember correctly (I had one on another site of mine, but took it down because it wasn't getting much traffic). But I'm not sure why we need another board if we already have one here?

But, as I said, it's very little trouble so I'm game if people feel there's a need.

Kaylle

12. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    The advantages of having our own board is that we'd be able to run it by our rules. Since you're new, you're blissfully ignorant to some of the crap that goes on around here sometimes. The stories I have to tell you... ;)

We'd also be able to organize things better, different forums and such. Buying/selling/trading. Places for more private discussion among members of the group, which trust me, is needed sometimes. It will be a better way to communicate with everyone.

I can talk to you about this soon (I'm having a stupid bad and crazy week) to run some ideas for it by you. Glad to hear you have some experience with it! :)

13. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Oh yeah, I could tell you some stories as well, when you post on several FF boards you see some crazy things going on sometimes.

14. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Even some of us that have been around for awhile are unaware of a lot of what goes on here...

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    In case any of you promising web developers are looking for something new, ESPN.com is hiring. I caught the ad out of the corner of my eye this afternoon and figured I'd drop a link in here.

16. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Kaylle & Mike

Almost forgot about it today, but I did want to get the link to the Morning Star's site up. It's actually in my signature, but it's worth repeating here:

http://www.crs-morningstar.net

The only problem is that much of the Morning Star site is done with PHP code, which I don't know if any of you two know, but it gives you an idea of a design that I think is good.

17. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    i agree, phpbb is the way2go... though it had recently been ha><ored pretty bad.

18. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Mike recently finished the first graphic for our website message boards:

Main Board Graphic

I think it looks fantastic! Please post your feedback. Thanks again to Mike for creating something so awesome. :)

19. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Good work as always, Mike. :)

20. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    I was expecting something that incorporated the T-shirt logo, but this is fine, nonetheless. Good work, Mike! :D

21. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Well, we're working on revising a specific template for the boards, so there was a certain look we were going for as a result. Variety is a good thing anyway. ;)

22. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Spiffy! Looks sharp and easy on the optical sensors.

23. Rogue-Girl

Rogue-Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2002
    I like the graphic. You don't want to overkill certain logos etc. imho. :) Great job, and I can't wait to see the new website.

Any idea what sorts of features it may contain?

24. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Unfortunately Kaylle, Mike, and I have been pretty busy, so not much progress has been made. Once this semester is over I'll have more time to devote to developing the content and asking for feedback from you guys. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.