main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD ANNOUNCEMENT: Changes to Lit Stickies

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Aug 21, 2013.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Some of you may have noticed the bulkiness of the sticky section here lately. The stickies take up a large portion of the top of the page, and it's been compounded by the fact that the new system does not allow us to set an expiration date for sticky status as the old one did -- meaning that sometimes comic threads get lost in the shuffle and stay up past their weekly expiration date, adding to the clutter.

In order to declutter the page, the moderating team has decided to make some changes to the handling of stickies. Book releases and comic releases will still get stickies, so there's no change there. The TPB Thread, however, is being destickied. It's an excellent thread, allowing people to discuss trade releases in one unified spot, but we felt that it didn't need to be stickied for people to see it. It should still get traffic as a floating thread and remain easily findable and accessible, especially given that we now have a search feature that works in the event that it does drop off the first few pages. I encourage everybody to use it, as it's a great thread, but we didn't feel that it needed to be stickied to perform its job for the community.

The other major change is that our two main reference threads, the Rules thread and the Release Date/Index thread, have been reconsolidated in one Reference thread. The Rules thread gets no real traffic, and since the first post is its only real purpose, that post can sit alongside the index and the list of release dates without interference. It's a de-cluttering consolidation. For the moment, the What to Read thread has not been consolidated, as it gets its own traffic and discussion of release dates and reading advice doesn't need to mingle in the same thread. That will be unlikely to change, but if there is still too much sticky clutter, we do have the option of merging it or de-stickying it and letting it float, which it should do given the frequency of what-to-read-advice threads.

That's the news; it's a minor reshuffle but we thought you deserve a heads-up on the tweaks to the forum. Your comments are welcome.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I think this is a good idea. It does help to bring down the 'clutter" a bit. I do have a question though: Is it possible to put more threads on each page as we did before the move? I haven't been able to figure out how to do it, if it is possible. While having more threads per page wouldn t cut down on the clutter, it would allow more threads to be seen on the first page, which I liked.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Unfortunately the number of threads per page is a system setting in the current Xenforo version. If they change it in a future version we'll be sure to announce it in Comms.

4. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Thanks, LAJ!

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I think we should sticky this thread. For the sake of irony.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I was just driving by and notices that the rules post seems to have been cut off. The fact that it has been edited this year suggests that the problem is not the lingering truncation issue from the move.

7. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    As a small-screen netbook user, I heartily approve. =D=