main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT: Posting in basher/gusher threads is a bannable offense

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by NathanDahlin, Oct 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Yes, you read correctly. From now on, in an attempt to quell the animosity and bitterness that seems to be an integral part of this years-long vendetta between fans, I will be issuing spanks for those who post in threads which contain basher/gusher fights, effective immediately.

Even if you're just a passerby who shoots off one comment in such a thread, you may face penalties. These kinds of threads will either be closed or they will drop, undiscussed, in the thread listing within a few minutes. They will no longer occupy most of the front page. I'll see to this.

I realize that there's no clear-cut definition of what makes a thread a basher/gusher battleground, so I'll leave you with this rough defenition:
    If I see a thread inhabitted mainly by a handful of bashers and gushers exchanging comments, I will lock down the thread and issue spanks to the participants. These spanks will go into their "log" and each offense will result in a longer ban time.

It is entirely possible that some of you will rack up month-long bans. If this happens, I will have no sympathy for you. I realize I will get a lot of grief about this new policy, but I'm willing to accept it as the price I have to pay in order to bring this forum back to its "glory days", if such a time ever existed.

You'll be surprised at how many users' "affiliations" I can remember and I have the ability to check IP addresses to determine if one of you is using another little-known alias, so I will have no difficulty in "smoking you out". Attempts to circumvent my attention with alternate usernames or threads inhabitted by more than a handful of users will be dealt with severely.

This is your final chance to show that you can be respectful and courteous to your fellow fans. Thank you for your time and may the Force be with you! :)

Locked while new policy is considered.

2. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    Edit- probably not a good idea.

3. XackAttack

XackAttack Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Better post this in the Announcements section of the forums.

4. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Does that mean that I count post in the Defence Force thread anymore, as I'm a basher? Also, there was a thread around last night which became a bit of a flame war, that I'm afraid to say I was the main participant of. I'll try to behave next time, Nathan, but I'm admitting that now incase it get's upped, and you see it and decide to ban me. So, this way, you can ban me now, without banning me later on! Then everyone will be happy. Except for me, of course!

5. Nrf-Hrdr

Aug 3, 2000
    You could call this the 'final solution' to the problem, ho ho.

6. Mannequin_Skywalker

Mannequin_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2001
    I agree but we hope that a bit discretion is used too since many
    of the flamers are not intentional and just want to prove their points
    with evidence from the movies, when that cannot be carried out properly,
    the forum would've lost much of its purpose now, wouldn't it? We hope
    common sense prevail when using the banning powers that be.

7. mithmaster

mithmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2000
    "You could call this the 'final solution' to the problem, ho ho. "

Indeed.

Heil Nathan!

8. TravCon12

TravCon12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Sounds like a good thing to me, I used to love the days when the TPM forum was for good old speculation and other fun stuff before, the dark days.

I know I have contributed to some of the flaming as of late, as I believe part of what brought this on was TJ and I getting into it.

But alas this will put an end to it beyond my own resolution to stop wasting my time in hopeless causes.

9. Nrf-Hrdr

Aug 3, 2000
    Wow, a kindred spirit. Who'd have thought it?

"This is your final chance to show that you can be respectful and courteous to your fellow fans."

Out of interest, what happens if we don't take our 'final chance'? Does it involve gas chambers, or will a simple shot to the head suffice?

10. TPMrules23

TPMrules23 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2000
    I post in the Basher Sanctuary all the time. This sucks.

11. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    And TPMrules23 posts in the Basher sanctuary are usually very interesting indeed.

12. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    And have tons of Natalie pics!

The last basher-gusher argument I had was like 2 years ago. I don't think bashers and gushers really fight anymore. We find common ground in things like Natalie AOTC pics ;)

13. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Yeah, TPMRules23 is both my Basherwan Apprentice and Sock Puppet!

Surely what is in question is contributing to threads that have devolved into basher/gusher wars...

Please assuage my fears that simply posting in threads contrary to one's usual position isn't the bannable offense...

14. Arsenal1234

Arsenal1234 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    Chill with the Nazi imagery, or it's lawsuits for all of you! ;)

15. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    Me and Oakessteve live in symbiotic existence. He posts funny stuff in the Natalie thread, and I post weird stuff in the Basher thread. Without basher-gusher interaction, life could not exist, and there would be no knowledge of the Force.

16. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    Besides, when was I tagged as being a gusher?! When have I said anything positive whatsoever about TPM, Natalie Portman, or anything that has to do with it.......

17. Nrf-Hrdr

Aug 3, 2000
    Seeing as Nathan is now memorising all our viewpoints regarding TPM, and taking them into account when dealing with us, why don't we take the idea to it's logical conclusion and make public all notable aspects of our personalities, physical appearences and backrounds, so we can all be treated 'appropriatly'?

18. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    NathanD's idea here is a pretty good one, its just at first it doesn't sound right, you have to read the fine print. Hopefully it will never come to someone being banned.

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Nrf Herder I find your WWII/Nazi comments and comparisons to be highly inappropriate and VERY offensive. I don't believe a little good behaviour request in a Star Wars forum is something on the level of the Holocaust.

20. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Problem:

Aside from the defense forces/sanctuaries, how the hell are you supposed to tell what a basher/gusher thread is?

Some threads start out innocently, proposing a legitimate question. But they then quickly turn into a bashing/gushing war

No doubt there will be some border-line threads that will sound like either gushing or bashing threads, or will be accused of so by a party that doesn't agree with the idea of the thread.

For example:

"The complex plot workings of TPM" might be accused as being a gusher thread.

Whereas

"Plot holes in TPM" might be accused of being a basher thread

But, really, both could be neither

21. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    Bravo. I feel this new law is an enterpirse worthy of our eyes and ears! It will lead us to peace and understanding in the postings to come.

IT's EKSPECIALLY GOOD CUZ NOW ALL THOZE STPID BASHHERRS WILL GET BANNED WHEN THEY SHOOT THEIR BIG FAT MOUTHS OFF WITHOUT EVEN THINKING!!! CUZ THEY ALL SUCK THE BIG ONE!! AND TPM RULEZZZZ!!! AND ANYONE WHO DOESN"T THINK IS SO IS SO LAAAAMMMMEEEEE!!!!!! AND I RULE!! I'M THE SMARTEST JANITOR ALIVE!!!!!!!!

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Nrf Herder I find your WWII/Nazi comments and comparisons to be highly inappropriate and VERY offensive. I don't believe a little good behaviour request in a Star Wars forum is something on the level of the Holocaust.

------

Actually, that sly reference was a nod to the bombilation going on betwixt Aldera.Net and The Force.Net concerning this picture that was posted at the above-mentioned site (minus some Photoshopping to change certain elements).

Much mirth and merriment ensued.

23. Nrf-Hrdr

Aug 3, 2000
    Less of a good behaviour request then moderators giving themselves free riegn to do whatever they want. I mean really, I'd challenge anyone to find a more imprecise rule then: "If I see a thread inhabitted mainly by a handful of bashers and gushers exchanging comments, I will lock down the thread and issue spanks to the participants". If someone followed that rule accurately, they'd lock every thread on the board and ban every member.

And obviously some dumb new system on an internet messageboard isn't exactly on the scale of full blown fascism, but check out the Dictionary.com definition of fascism:

"A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism."

Convert that into messageboard terms, and it seems quite familliar, no?

Edit: LOL Leda! I'd never even seen that picture before!

24. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Here is something I don't think people realize. This is not a democracy. This site is run by a few people. Call it an oligarchy if you like. It's policies and rules are NOT something that are up to the masses of people who come here.

You wanna whine about your freedoms? OK you are FREE to go elsewhere if you don't like the rules. No one is twisting your arm to stay here and post. Go to other forums if you don't like it. Stop going to forums altogether if you don't like it. but stop expecting the world to revolve around your needs wants and expectations.

25. Arsenal1234

Arsenal1234 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    "A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism."

Hey, that sounds like every parent I've ever known.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.