main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT: Posting in basher/gusher threads is a bannable offense

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by NathanDahlin, Oct 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    My favorite veiled insult is when someone you don't like phones you up and you say:

"I can't hear anything."

When they ask why, you reply:

"Because there's a dead man on the other end of this line."

Gets em every time :)

Anyway, shouldn't posting in this thread be a bannable offence?

:D

2. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    Duckman!!!!

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    "Is it this forum's nature for a thread like this to be so long?"

"No, I sense an unusual ammount of fear for something as trivial as this new policy."

8-}

4. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    I wasn't offended but since you are the one arguing for members to sugarcoat all their responses, I found it odd that you were not taking the same care.

I never said anything about sugarcoating responses. What I said is that making a blanket statement without any supporting evidence is not the way to engage in a discussion. What I said is that if all you (and by "you" I mean forum goers) want to do is state your opinion then a discussion is not the place for that.

Now my argument is not that hard to understand (but apparently easy to intentionally misunderstand) so if you have any more questions then review my postings in this thread.

Good day.

5. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Stating opinions is PART of a discussion. Even if the person stating it merely dumps it out there like a sack of potatos and doesn't support it with anything, it invariably generates discussion amongst other participants. I've seen one poster toss an opinion out there and then a second poster "alley-oop" it with his/her secondary explanation on MANY occasions.

It's just part of how discussion forums work.

6. Bud Frescoe

Bud Frescoe Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2000
    " ... and I have the ability to check IP addresses to determine if one of you is using another little-known alias, so I will have no difficulty in 'smoking you out'."

Anyone wanna clarify how this works? Because not too long ago Nathan banned me for posting as "Darth Maul's Toothpick" or something, when I was doing nothing of the sort. When I wrote to him directly, his response was "your IP addresses were the same, don't even bother denying it!" and then refused to explain anything further ...

7. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Each computer has an IP address which gets assigned when you connect to the web. In most cases, it's a stable address, but depending on your connection (such as AOL), it could fluxuate from time to time. Anyway, an admin can check an IP address to see who a user is, if he knows what IP address a user has (we use this technic at my place of work to monitor our clients traffic).

Bud, is it possible you were posting on a computer another forum user was using? Or, do you AOL?

8. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    DS, don't forget about dynamic IP addressing. I'm not totally sure if the IP's can be repeated, but it doesn't seem out of the question.

9. Darth_Nemesis

Darth_Nemesis Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    That has to be the dumbest rule ever, isn't there a right to free speech?

10. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    What rule are you talking about?

11. Darth_Nemesis

Darth_Nemesis Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    Announcement:posting in Basher/gusher threads is a bannable offense.

12. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    We are a little past that right now. The few pages after that post pretty much explain everything. Basically, if you are a troll or you flame people, then you will get banned. If you have any questions, pm cbjedi and ask him. :)

13. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Mountain Man

"I never said anything about sugarcoating responses. What I said is that making a blanket statement without any supporting evidence is not the way to engage in a discussion. What I said is that if all you (and by "you" I mean forum goers) want to do is state your opinion then a discussion is not the place for that.

Now my argument is not that hard to understand (but apparently easy to intentionally misunderstand) so if you have any more questions then review my postings in this thread."

What Patrick Russell said.

14. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Quote:
    "So cbj is the new Sherif[sic]? Congrats and let the good times roll." --Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Yeah, he's the Sheriff of Nottingham...and I'm the evil Prince John who tells him what to do. [face_laugh] :p

Bud Frescoe, if it's any consolation to you, I believe that you aren't Ric Olié's Hairdresser anymore.

The reason I didn't believe you before, was that there were two users on your IP address, the guy I accused you of being and that same guy's sockpuppet, RicAstley.

See, what happened was, Hairdresser got banned for trolling. He then came back under the username RicAstley. We found out, and confronted him about it. He denied it in much the same way you did in your e-mail, but we pressed him and he finally admitted that he was who we thought he was.

When you denied being Ric Olié's Hairdresser in the same way that RickAstley denied being Ric Olié's Hairdresser, I jumped to conclusions and assumed that you were him and that he was up to his old tricks and I'm very sorry about that!

By the way, I remember you said you'd tore your hamstring around that time. I hope it's better now! :)

15. Ethril

Ethril Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2000
    That's not really the proper grammatical use of the word "vendetta", Nathan.

16. Ethril

Jun 24, 2000
    Nope, not really.

17. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    I think we should have a forum where we can vent and let off steam, before we all explode. CBJedi's Hive of Scum and Villainy was a cool place, but it never really took off.
    What would be the harm in having a basher/gusher forum where everything was allowed, bar swearing and death threats. If people didn't want to be insulted, they wouldn't have to go there.
    I like being insulted :D

18. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Doncha think if Ethril had a life, he'd be off dating Christensen right now, instead of on the internet ;)

(BTW, did you know he still lives with his parents?!? :eek: HAyden, not ethril ;) )

19. Ethril

Jun 24, 2000
    Yeah, Hayden still lives with his parents, which just increases his cuteness level exponentially [face_love]

Not that it had any room for increase to begin with [face_love]

20. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    My Mum is still bigger than your mum, so there.

21. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    Is there really any need to up this thread, given that the radical new policy ultimately had precisely zero effect on the forum?

22. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    uppers

Hmmm, I'm seeing a trend here.

23. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    I won't get banned if I post in this topic, will I?

D'OH! I already did it. :)

24. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    SO that means the Basher Sanctuart and the Gusher Sanctuary and the basher GusherSanctuary and the Gusher Basher Sanctuary get closed?

You know, sometimes more info is sent out by the titles of threads than by any 'policy'.

25. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    But the basher sanctuary is a basher thread, and the gusher sanctuary is a gusher thread. Not Basher/Gusher threads...

Not sure about the supplementals though, although I'd be sad to see them closed. (Well, the only one that gets posted in, that is...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.