main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT: Posting in basher/gusher threads is a bannable offense

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by NathanDahlin, Oct 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HighWiredSith

HighWiredSith Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    Social control, censorship, banning...is all this really necessary? This is just me, but the only thing I think someone should be banned or punished for is making physical threats against another poster, wheter implicit or implied or outright spamming (creating nonsensical, off-topic jibberish to clutter boards and intterupt threads). One of the unwritten rules of a free-speech deomcracy I think we have lost in our politically correct age is the basic idea that you don't take things pesonally and don't consider differing opinions as personal attacks on your character. An example, someone referred to a statement I made is "childish." I didn't assume for a minute that this poster was calling me childish, assuming instead (and correctly I might add, I hope) that his or her statements were directed at my own statements and not me personally. Come one guys, this is an anyonymous environment. We aren't standing in line at the bank or hanging out a pub. I don't look like Grand Moff Tarkin (okay, I do look a little like him) and not a single person in this forum would know me on the street if they saw me. In this light, taking things personally and getting mad and spewing rage initiated hate is just silly.

2. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I for one don't enjoy being insulted- whether I think it's personal or not, whether I think it's someone who knows anythign about me or not, I don't like it.

But I don't come here to make friends- I come here to avoid work and talk about Star Wars. And that's a lot more fun when it's a constructive conversation instead of "DUUUUUUHHHH! Everyone knows LOTR is better than TPM!"

Also, remember, not everone on the boards is a grown-up...

3. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    CBJedi: Can't you start a new thread on this issue, or at least re-edit the title and opening post? ND's statement hasn't got any less misleading over time.

4. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    You mean no one still understand what the actual policy is?

I'd agree with that.

5. TravCon12

TravCon12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Could we possibly get a moderator to change the name of the following thread:

"The New Abridged "Official" TPM Forum Dictionary"

It has become little more than a new home for posts that were going into the recently locked B/G threads.

The possible addition of the word "Basher" would allow everyone to initially notice that the thread is more of an editorial and not a general consensus, or "official" thread.

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Sounds good to me, CB.

7. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I think this needs to be upped, what with all the new forum members joining lately. Kids these days . . . :)

8. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    ...said Duckman who is officially calling it quits.

;)

9. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    What...what means ban?

10. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    ...said Duckman who is officially calling it quits.

Again? See you Friday, Ducks...

11. Rupert_Pupkin

Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    I'm an Episode 1 basher and I always will be. Don't spank me because of it.

12. TadjiStation

TadjiStation Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    I got REALLY scared there for a moment, when I saw this thread at the TOP of Page One. Thank God I looked at the dates of the original posts.

;)

13. Ulaleros

Ulaleros Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    i've never understood what the big frickin deal is if two people wanna duke it out verbally. nobody's getting hurt, and its a free country after all. what harm is a good argument anyway? and if you dont choose to engage in the argument, do the posts of two people arguing personally injure you? why pay attention to them? whats the big deal??

14. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm hearing some incredibly strange stuff which seriously is beginning to sound like the terms of tyranny!

When I first got here everyone who posted was basicaly a fan who liked or disliked TPM - no "Bashers" or "Gushers" - everyone was a FAN! Now, its Bashers are not really fans and Gushers are! ..Why? Earlier I read a statement from a moderator which was the most bizzare thing for someone in such a position to say considering the judgemental stick they obviously have the power to hit you with if they misinterperet or simply do not agree with anything you post. Basicaly it was questioning why so called "Bashers" spend a couple of hours each day posting what they hate about the film.

I'll let you into a secret.. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BASHER OR A GUSHER!

Everyone who posts here is a fan, be he disgruntled about one episode of the other two or three films of his beloved saga or a happily-loving-every-episode-made fan! The only thing that makes these silly arguements look like a war to all on these boards including the fear building in the Mods is the fact that they've allowed the one silly name calling above all other non-permitted silly name-calling to go unpenalised: "Basher" and "Gusher".

Step outside the forum and the average Joe-Public will just put us all down to a bunch of SW fans arguing about a subject we like too much!

And so what if a debate turns into an arguement? A swift post by a Mod warning everyone to "chill" isn't enough to all parties? Why the banning? Can you imagine Congress or the houses or Parliament actualy getting through any debates if everytime a member called another a name or argued against something that the PM or President was for, got banned for a month? They'd be no one left to debate in the seats of the opposition and what would you call that, Facism? If those well paid, well educated and far more important issue debating politicians can't go through a day without calling each other names and arguing like madmen, then why should we be so strict on ourselves and expect any less? We are not robots or unruly children in a class not paying attention to a valuable lesson, we're human beings and individuals with an opinion to express!

I can understand WARNING members over name calling and even banning them and the parties included if it gets persistant, but outright banning over a debate that's for and against a film sounds extremely silly! Debates can be straight forward, they can get hot and debates cool down; that's the way human being have been doing it for centuries. If you want to try and force everyone to play like Ewoks then you seek the impossible and all you will achieve is a lot less members posting here due to them all being banned. Eventually members will move to another popular forum where people can debate like human beings without worrying about being banned and this site will lose a lot of hits!

If you want to ban something, ban the silly terms "Bashers" & "Gushers" and also the crazy notion that those who didn't like a majority of TPM are not SW fans anymore and simply come here to ridicule those who did. That may actually stop a lot of name calling that spawns of every mention of "Basher" and "Gusher" and lead to more interesting debates by all.

Binary, I may consider your idea of only posting in the sanctuaries!

Welcome back Hawk, shame about your timing!

15. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Do I smell a little bit of political correctness here? Sounds like "basher" and "gusher" are becoming bad words.

16. Ulaleros

Oct 25, 2001
    nice post ceejay.

and, cbjedi, you still havent told me what the big deal is?

my point was, nobody gets "banned" in public for arguing, so why here?

and this may not be a fight club, but, you see, NOBODY IS FIGHTING. nobody is getting hurt, and there is no damage to property being done.

what does it hurt to let two people argue? it'll soon be over, and if other people dont want to read it they dont have to. in real life an argument can lead to a fight sometimes, but this is just a MESSAGE BOARD. my question remains, what is the big deal??

17. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Are people banned when they have an argument in public?

No, but they can be arrested for disturbing the peace :)

Since this topic is old, and since the Gusher/basher threads are still up-I think the world will still revolve.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think they just mean if you don't like something, you probably aren't a fan of it. To me, when you are a fan of something you enjoy it. If you are constantly dwelling on how much you don't like something, well that isn't a fanship. That is an unhealthy fixation on negative feelings.

Of course the only one who can say whether or not you are a fan is yourself. You are a fan if you say you are.

19. Sithchilde

Sithchilde Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    Not a very good definition of a fan, Go-mer. I'm a fan of Aston Villa (English football club) and, looking at how our season has turned out, there isn't much to smile about.

Look at it this way. Yes, I guess I could talk about the glory days of yore, when we were winning FA cups and the like, but really, it's our current form that's of most interest.

Similarly, whilst I'm sure the people who hated TPM would like nothing more then to pretend it never happened and instead dwell on the wonders of the OT, TPM is the most recent SW film, so naturally conversation will tend to revolve around it.

I'm guessing that wil change when AOTC is released.

On a side note, who the heck came up with these stupid "basher/gusher" labels in the first place, and why the heck would anyone want to label THEMSELVES in such a manner?

Weird.

20. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I'll let you into a secret.. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BASHER OR A GUSHER!

Well, I decided a long time ago that if I was going to take my Star Wars nerdisms the whole hog and go on the internet and talk about Star Wars, I was going to focus on the stuff I like. I couldn't see the point in joining an online community to moan about the flaws in one of my favourite things. Life's too short. Yes, there's things I don't particularly like in TPM, just like there's things I don't particularly like in the OT, or about anything else I can think of, but I choose not to focus on them because I simply can't see the point- either how it would be good for me, or how it would be good for anyone reading my post.

And that's how a Gusher was born...

21. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    cbjedi stole my quote.

This is a discussion forum, not a fight club.

:)

I, like many others, have basically given up on this forum.

I came here initially to talk about a new Star Wars film that I loved, but the constant negativity has chased many fans of the film from the very forum made to discuss it.

It's sad really.

I don't begrudge anyone their opinion on TPM. Feel free to dislike it all you want, but I came here to talk about a film I truly enjoyed with like-minded fans. Unfortunately, most of them have left.

22. Ulaleros

Oct 25, 2001
    i dont think arguing classifies as disturbing the peace. otherwise half the population would be in jail. and even if it was disturbing the peace, it would be because it offends other people serenity because it LOUD. there is no volume on a message boards. its just written words, its not disturbing any peace, and its not going to lead to any fights.

23. grayson

grayson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 1999
    I believe this thread started during a time when almost every topic on the front page had devolved into a basher/gusher fight. So, it was almost impossible, at that point, to really have a discussion on the board about anything other than TPM sucked/TPM rocked. That is what this thread and policy, IMO, was meant to stop. You can say, "you're wrong." But you can't say, "you're wrong, and ugly." :eek:

24. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Come on, folks, get a clue here. This isn't hard.

First off, they're not being tyrants. This is a PRIVATE message board, as in it's owned by someone and they can run it AS THEY SEE FIT. Perhaps when you are faced with the idea of running your own forum (and paying for it), you will realize that it's your rules that matter, and no one else's. As long as they're not breaking any APPLICABLE laws, they can make the rules as inflexible or fluid as they wish.

Furthermore, the reality that our basher/gusher sanctuary (as well as the debate-oriented supplemental) threads do currently exist now points to the fact that we're not in danger here. Look at the dates on the starting posts. This has been a rule that's run for some time. Duckman simply chose to up the thread as a reminder to others.

So, PLEASE simply take this as a reminder of a rule already set in place, and move on. You will be banned for posting in a manner that does not follow the posting rules. It's their board to do with as they see fit, and frankly, as a non-admin board user, I don't see what the problem is. They aren't hard rules to follow, and they're designed to encourage more constructive sorts of discussions, as opposed to flame wars.

I know I speak for the majority here when I say that I won't come to forums that are a cesspool of flaming and immature people posting whatever the heck they want. I can go to playgrounds for that. They're just protecting the integrity and reputation of their boards, and the rules plainly reflect that.

I won't issue a blanket statement saying that I will always agree on some of their policies, but this one I'm in total agreement with, as are most of the members of this forum.

25. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    How about "You're wrong and your mother dresses you funny"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.