main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Announcement: some minor good news, and some major not so good news

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    First off, as you are probably aware, it is now April 1st in some places in the globe. We the Mod Squad actually had a really funny prank ready to pull this year. The only good news I have to report here for you guys is that we?re not doing it. The plan was for the oldbie moderators like Raven, Genghis and co. to suddenly demote everyone in the Mod Squad who was promoted after 2003, and then we would have promoted Old School moderators to pick up the slack for the day. It would have been a blast from the past, made for some funny moderator rants in Communications, etc. Well, we thought it was a good idea, but you?re probably groaning just reading this, so consider yourself lucky: we?re not doing it.

Which leads me to the bad news.

Due to a number of recent problems with the moderation of the forums here at TF.N regarding Revenge of the Sith material, LFL has demanded to take a more proactive step in dealing with spoilers here. To that end, they?ve demanded the ability to moderate the 3SA forum themselves. They have complained about how we?ve handled things like extracts from the novelization, scans from the graphic novel, audio clips from the novel, and several other sources. Essentially, they think that we?re too loose towards spoilers. The argument that some other sites are apparently getting away with a lot more isn?t washing with them; their counterargument is that since we have the higher traffic, it?s here that they need to be. With less than two months until Revenge of the Sith reaching the big screen, they don?t want this site throwing monkey wrenches in their marketing campaign. They want control of things in 3SA by April 2nd, when most merchandise goes on sale, and they wanted in before that to head things off as much as possible.

To avoid conflict with LFL and over protests by many members of the Mod Squad, site ownership has acquiesced, and several LFL employees have registered and have been or shortly will be promoted to moderator. They won?t be part of the Mod Squad, though they?ll have access to the 3SA specific private forum. Several 3SA moderators have registered their disapproval of this move by LFL and TF.N administration, and several YJCC moderators have been particularly vocal in their support of 3SA moderators. As a 3SA moderator myself, it?s my hope that the other 3SA moderators will choose to stay on and do what we can on the inside. I know that I regretted it when I resigned a year ago, and I?m not going to make the same mistake again. This too shall pass.

It is the hope of the Mod Squad that after ROTS LFL coverage will no longer be necessary that these moderators will allow themselves to be reinstated. LFL has also registered complaints about the fan fiction forum, and at the very least that forum will see some major changes with regards to what is acceptable and what is not. At most, given LFL?s stance towards fan fiction, the forum may be shut down. It is the hope of the Mod Squad ? and the fan fiction moderators in particular ? that this will not come to pass, but we unfortunately cannot make any guarantees in this regard.

The new LFL moderators will be aiding with the moderation in 3SA, and the Mod Squad respectfully requests that all users cooperate with them. Though the primary focus of their moderating will be within 3SA, they will also be moderating against spoilers outside of 3SA.

So, you get out of one sort-of-funny joke because we in the Mod Squad aren?t really in the joking mood right now. If anyone was eagerly awaiting a big dumb fun joke on our parts like in years past, we?re sorry to disappoint. There is one joke that Raven still thinks is worth pulling as it?s just too good to pass up on and he'll regret not pulling it later if he doesn?t, and he?ll be changing around the main banner a few times throughout the day tomorrow to his favorite banners, but there is no overarching forum-wide joke this year. We're very sorry if anyone was hoping for something, we?re not really in the mood for jokes.

DarthSapient and Raven.

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I love how you guys cut me out of the loop on this announcement. I am the PR admin, after all.

Thanks for nothing.

Kimball Kinnison

3. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    This is crap!

It's like Palpatine imposing the Regional Governors on the galaxy! Or Palpatine requesting emergency powers from the Senate to counter the increasing threats of the Separatists. Whose to say that these LFL moderators would even give up their moderator powers after the crisis is over. If anything, the precedent offered by LFL in similar situations is that they will retain those powers and transform this into an Empire once the conflict is over. No way in hell I am as stupid as Jar Jar Binks here.

Wow! I am just stunned with LFL's request and I don't blame the mods from wanting to resign in the face of such an unreasonable demand. LFL would basically be coopting tfn into a subsidiary of LucasOnline. That's bloody ridiculous, IMHFO. I am just shocked and amazed at the audacity of LFL. :mad:

4. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    hahaha, call him a miserable *******

dkt

Strilo edit: I don't care what is going on, the TOS still applies.

5. _Equilibrium_

_Equilibrium_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2004
    LFL is uptight about FAN FICTIONS ?

When on earth did that happen

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
  7. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Forgive me for being a bit skeptical.

There is no way LFL is going to moderate these boards.

I can't seriously believe that.

This has got to be an obvious April Fool's Joke.

8. _Equilibrium_

Jun 26, 2004
    Yeah that is true Darth Mischievous

This is a fairly HIGH CHANCE of being an joke

9. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Damn right, [face_plain].

This is no joke. Not with all the drama. LFL is alive and well on the boards.

I am just waiting for the death star to appear around the corner...[face_plain]

10. _Equilibrium_

Jun 26, 2004
    I do NOT see how LFL would get all crazy over Fan Fiction especially seeing how HS NOT had fan fiction contest & whoever had the best Visited the set while they were filming ?

This has to be BS

11. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    come on guys, get over it.

dkt

12. joehahn000

joehahn000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    How can LFL mod our boards. As everton said: [face_plain]

________Ignore LFL's Requests!_|__________|_

/,,/
    Rock on!

13. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    If this isn't a joke, I'm probably leaving the boards.

________Ignore LFL's Requests!_|__________|_

14. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Haha. LFL taking over even the forums.

15. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Hm.

This does concern me.

16. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    http://boards.theforce.net/users_new.asp

look at the new mods.

This is ridiculous.

I am going to remove my icon and sig in protest [face_plain]

17. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Would someone stop dkt and his calling all of us bastards? Why don't the mods do their jobs?!

18. lori71

lori71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    And what happens when they discover that they can't do a better job? Shut it down?

19. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    _Equilibrium_ posted on 3/31/05 9:38am
    I do NOT see how LFL would get all crazy over Fan Fiction especially seeing how HS NOT had fan fiction contest & whoever had the best Visited the set while they were filming ?

This has to be BS
    [hr][/blockquote] This is not BS. A LFL employee just locked a thread in 3SA. The regional governors are in place and the MS is ripe for dissolution once the death star is ready. [face_plain]

20. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    It has already begun folks.

Click this

http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=1174127

His first post was trying to figure out how to lock a thread in "this damn place."

[face_plain]

21. _Equilibrium_

Jun 26, 2004
    That is alot of new mods Ei

22. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    If they want to moderate the 3SA themselves you should teach them how to lock threads. One of them had a problem already.

I wish it was a joke, this sucks.

23. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    EagleIFilms posted on 3/31/05 9:39am
    Hm.

This does concern me.
    [hr][/blockquote]

TOLD. YOU. SO.

[hl=black][color=red]I encourage everyone to remove their icons and sigs in protest of the new LFL management[/color][/hl]

24. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Are you ******* me Sapes?!

Oh well, I know everything anyway. I'll just socialize in the Golden age. [face_plain]

25. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    This is rather funny how some of you are buying into it...

hehe

I'm rather enjoying it.

:)

This is an April Fool's Joke, people. They do it every year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.