Announcing the JC Focus Group

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've read some of this thread,and it sounds like a good idea to me.I like the idea of disscussing how to inprove the boards,etc.I'd be glad to help out in any way I can. :)
  2. Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think the main problem people are having with this, is that they are seeing through eyes that have expereinced the mod squad and the AC and their automatically uses that as a basis when they think private forum.

i concur and stuff.

The idea that these discussions need to take place in a private setting and only among certain individuals is what comes across to me as self-important and a completely unnecessary precaution for this Star Wars messageboard. We're not talking about matters of life and death here, we're talking about Star Wars, and how to make an online community of Star Wars fans the most fun for everyone involved. Sure, all of the issues being discussed in these focus groups won't effect all of us, but all of them will effect some of us and some of them will effect all of us. For me, that's a good enough reason for us all to at least have the opportunity to know what's going on.

i couldn't disagree more. and you act as if you've forgotten the countless times i've explained why the privacy is necessary. yet yourself and others keep coming back and saying things like "there's no need for privacy". yes there is. why? I'VE EXPLAINED IT MORE THAN ENOUGH TIMES.

I've said before that I do understand the desire to have more intimate and focused discussions in a smaller group of people. I don't have a problem with that.

your criticisms of the privacy factor contradict this.

Okay, why excatly? I know that you're baffled by the fact that I can't grasp this, but maybe some more concrete examples would help here.

i've past baffled and i am rapidly approaching perplexed. however, there's an intersection up ahead, where i might feel compelled to make a left onto aggravated.

In fact, it seems like the AC has been more or less operating as an FG for awhile now because the AC I knew was shut to anyone aside from mods and elected AC members.

exactly. i asked to have access, a few weeks ago, so that i could discuss my ideas with the ACers and mods, and at the same time this actually acted as an example of a focus group. and i didn't want to discuss it in public because i knew there'd be too many people butting in, derailing, confusing things, being stupid, being disagreeable, being judgemental, etc. etc. etc. this way i was able to discuss my ideas with only the people i wanted to discuss them with and in a private setting.
  3. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I really think these discussions should be in an open forum. The same arguments, thread derailing, noobs, etc. could be made about any of the sensitive topics in the Senate. With proper Moderation this would not be an obstacle.
    Also to prevent this from becoming a joke, as the AC was seen by many to be, placing it in public view would allow many regular users to actually "see" something being done and have a feeling that people are arguing for or against something that will benefit the boards.
    It also will no doubt set the standard format for how administrative discussions should grow and thrive that could be a model transposed here.
  4. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4

It will not be in an open forum. I can guarantee that much.

UKS
  5. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    PiaS: but it doesn't require demand. if there's no demand then it won't be used, it will just idle.

i can understand that, i'm talking about demand overall, like in 6 months time, a years time, will there still be enough discussions to discuss? i'm just questioning whether there's enough point to the system in the first place. and i won't know that until i see it operate first.

another great use for the FG is for when someone has a really swell idea they wanna pitch.:D

couldn't pitching of ideas just be handled in Comms? if you have an idea, what are you going to do... pick 5 or 6 people and see if they like the idea, too? why not just post it in Comms and see if 25 people like the idea?

right, and the people concerned are the people who are involved in the discussion, not the crowd banging on the door.

hopefully, yes... however that's assuming people will be bothered joining up to such a system.

if something profound or important to the community is said by anyone in any FG then it will be repeated in comms.

which is good... however, when it gets taken to Comms, will people be able to comment on it then?

like i said, i'm just raising these points as random thoughts... i haven't seen the system in play yet.

the issue rests on the points being discussed (could it just as well be handled in Comms? -- i think for 95% of stuff, it can be, thus, ANY extra forum or extra discussion with less people is thus extraoneous)

what i don't want to see is this FG forum affecting the comms forum negatively. negatively in that it takes away discussion from a lot of people, just because some think they can't handle it, and moves it to a small group of people, people who can be bothered joining up and discussing something with a few other people in a private forum. sure, it might help, but is it necessary? the necessity of all this is my main beef, and, like i've said many times, i'll have a better understanding of just how necessary it is, and what benefits it offers and what negatives it creates once it's active.

any idea on when this is going to launched? maybe there should be a trial run first.
  6. Crimson Force Ghost

star 4
    This sounds like a giant waste of time and board resources.

If the Owners had any balls, they would lay down their rules and put them in concrete, into an "as is" type of agreement.

What we have here is way too many people pissing and moaning about every little thing, and now new things need to be created so it can be discussed; like the Modsquad and the AC. But now those things don't work, so we'll create a new thing so other people can discuss what's being discussed.

Can I be on the JC Decisions Panel to discuss the Focus Group, who is discussing the Advisory Council, who discusses the Modsquad; when it is created in 2 months?
  7. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I think fewer people complain about AC-FG-MS-type things, than about what would happen if Josh and the Admins would do whatever they read in their alphabet soup. I saw message boards where the members have no say and they're annoying and cruel. JCers couldn't cope with such a message board. I have about 30 posts in one of those other message boards. I have a thousand times more posts here. There I count as more of a spammer than here. Imagine that.

Comms is a place to try and have a say, yes. But other means were, are and can be helpful, too. Also, Sape read the letters F and G after he ate A and C in his alphabet soup.

(EDIT: Oh, and Gandy, the thing with the icon wasn't funny.... okay, maybe funny, but cruel. Especially to me. :_|)
  8. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    DA...
    "That sounds good then.

In fact, it seems like the AC has been more or less operating as an FG for awhile now because the AC I knew was shut to anyone aside from mods and elected AC members.
    "

Exactly. We did make some revisions to the structure of the AC, allowing it to better serve the community, but at the conceptual level, it's still got the same goal.
  9. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    TwilekJedi, not sure what you're referring to regarding the alphabet soup. :confused:
  10. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    And I'm not sure why you look like G-S (and now GriffZ), so we're both confused. Yay. It was only an unimportant lame attempt at a joke :)
  11. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Isn't everything this group is supposed to be about achieved in Comms?
  12. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    I like this idea its a good idea.

I love focusing on problems

13. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8

Not really. A focus group would be a group who all have the same general opinion about something, and then discuss it with the mods. Comms is where people with opposing opinions argue stuff and the mods post their opinions. At least that's how I understand it.

Edit: And a lot of people seem to have problems figuring out how members are "selected." The member has to volunteer him/herself for a discussion. Mods can't read your minds, people, and therefore you have to bring up the issue yourself.
  14. Crimson Force Ghost

star 4
    A Focus Group is a tool used by marketers for a company, where they get a small group of consumers together and they try out products from the company and give their feedback.

FYI
  15. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    JC Focus Groups, uhm? Sounds like a new source of internet drama to read in the forthcoming future
    [face_mischief]

Ah, but seriously, this idea has merit. I'll be interested to see how it plays out. Hopefully, it will be productive.
  16. Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A Focus Group is a tool used by marketers for a company, where they get a small group of consumers together and they try out products from the company and give their feedback.

FYI

um, there's more than one definition of the term 'focus group'.

FYI
  17. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Right. One more in line with what such a group may be at this site is that it will act as a sort of council that is advisory in nature.
  18. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    One more in line with what such a group may be at this site is that it will act as a sort of council that is advisory in nature.

No, it will not act as a council that is advisory in nature.

"Advice" may be an occasional part of a Focus Group, but the discussion and resolution of issues is the primary goal of the Focus Groups. Not advising.
  19. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    how would we know that there is a focus group forming? j/w
  20. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The technicalities are still being worked out, but we will definitely have to have public announcements when new groups are formed.

To paraphrase myself, not necessarily. I agree that we can do a lot more in Comms, and the FG will be an extension of that development. By its nature, Comms will always attract open discussions, and the focus groups will be aimed at collecting more charged opinions from people with a strong interest in one particular issue.

I think too much emphasis is being put on the name of the project. We're not trying to sell shampoo here. ;) Forget what you know about marketing and random opinion sampling, since that isn't the aim.
  21. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    the focus groups will be aimed at collecting more charged opinions from people with a strong interest in one particular issue

So your saying when there is a discussion in Comms that is of particular interest to the administration, the posters that have put forth the best arguments one way or the other in said forum would be harvested to participate in a more isolated debate in a private forum on the subject?
  22. Crimson Force Ghost

star 4
    "um, there's more than one definition of the term 'focus group'.

FYI"

You were saying?

A focus group is done for research purposes, *mainly* for marketing purposes.

Wasn't aware the posting requisites were that you have to be a complete tool about everything.
  23. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    Crimson: Marketing is part of what a focus group focuses on, they focus on the competition and prices in the market but they also focus on what they can do to change the company for the better which is the aim of the focus group is to change the JC for the better.

Thanks Mara

Bane, according to the front page they will be letting people volunteer for the focus group not the other way around.

24. Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    crimson person, i wouldn't be calling someone else a tool if i were you. and it's not my fault you don't understand the uses of the term 'focus group', despite your ability to copy and paste from the dictionary.
  25. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    After re-reading this thread i see the AC is effectively gone as of when this thread started.
    Any reason people are still sporting AC Member titles?
    I only ask because I predicted these would be very hard for some to give up and if the AC really is over, perhaps I was correct :D
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.