main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Announcing the JC Focus Group

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    One option that has come up as a compromise (and that is technologically feasible) is to make them read only after the group has finished, and move them to the Inactive Forums section of the board.

While a user would not be able to read the discussion as it developed, the entire record would be available for anyone to read.

Kimball Kinnison

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think that's a good solution for many groups. The CT group, which just started, will additionally be posting live updates in Comms. Basically, the full text of discussions will be posted in a thread here so everyone can read and comment. I don't know how many future FGs will follow our lead, but I'd like any group I'm involved in to be as open as possible.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm confused, is there a different forum for each focus group?

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That's how it's turning out right now. Wasn't planned that way, but it seems to have its own merits.

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm assuming based on what I've been told that the decision was that since there is a Lit forum focus group going on and a Canon War focus group going going on, the risks were too high for certain things to clash if one group decided to read the others threads.

Also, being in the Canon War one, I can say that the Completists and Purists involved are trying to make peace at the moment. :p

EDIT: And I posted this in the FG forum earlier in response to Kimball's post above, the "two ideas" are the Comms updates and the read only forum:

I think a combo of the two ideas would be good. Have general updates, but then make the forums read only when we're done. That way, the users will know what's going on, and then making the forums read only will make them availible to go back to for reference if it is ever needed, sorta like the inactive lit forums.

6. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    publicly posting a FG discussion after the fact defeats the purpose of it being private.

i think the individual FGs themselves should decide whether or not there will be any public transcripts (partial or complete) of their own FG posted.

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    No.

The only justifiable reason for them being private is the problems associated with making the people VIPs of a read only board.

Otherwise, if you're more worried what people will think of what you said then saying what you think, then you probably ought to recuse yourself.

8. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Making these forums public is a wise decision, it holds people accountable to the decisions they influence.

9. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I think we'd be held accountable to the decisions we influence anyway.

10. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    True. And I don't think complete transcripts are necessary anyway. Just an occasional update would do nicely. It might actually make it easier since you wouldn't have to read an entire thread, just a single post. Sort of like the modsquad updates. It would be very difficult to follow everything that went on in modsquad if simple transcripts were posted rather than summaries of discussions.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    But Mod Squad discussions are much easier to summarize. "We discussed X and decided Y." Since Focus Groups won't be setting policy on their own, just offering ideas and eventually coming to a conclusion (or perhaps several opposing conclusions), it makes more sense to me to present the ideas in full.

Edit: Grammar! *bangs head into desk*

12. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i like the idea of them being private, because if they were public i think there are people who might see a particular statement made by someone, and ask to join the focus group pretty much for the sole reason of responding to that comment. by keeping them private while they are going on, i think it keeps people in it who really want to discuss the subject, not just want to respond to certain points.

i'm saying that because it's the sort of thing i would probably want to do. if someone said something that i totally disagreed with, i'd want to respond to it, even though i might not have the time or interest to follow the FG all the way through.

i think that publicizing the forums after the discussions are done is probably the best compromise. people know that while it's going on, they have some sense of privacy, but they also know that they'll be held accountable to what they say later.

13. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    The only justifiable reason for them being private is the problems associated with making the people VIPs of a read only board.

please.

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Interesting ideas being presented about making it public.

15. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    If it is public, people will not get to the root of the matter. Instead members will hide it in layers and layers of flattery and obfuscation to prevent people feelings being hurt, and to stop a mirror thread appearing in Comms where non-FG members will be posting their ideas.

Keep it Private. You'll only make a lot of trouble for yourselves otherwise.

UKS

16. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    If it is public, people will not get to the root of the matter.
    By this logic, what is the point of Comms?

I am not suggesting and interactive forum, but rather a read only that would be posted after the fact for all to read. This would circumvent the chance of the thread derailing or like threads appearing in Comms.

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I agree with UK Sullustian, if people know that their comments are going to be scrutenised even 'after the fact', they are going to be a lot less forthright in their discussion... Hell, even a loud mouth like me will keep many opinions 'Off sight' for fear of reprocussion...

For example, I was one of those who was quietly rattling on about getting a third fan fiction moderator... There was no doubt we needed one but I kept my reasoning primarily to 'off site' conversation for fear of being misconstrude or being accused of 'campaigning' for the position myself.

Do it like the 'Mod Squad' and give a detailed summery with uncredited comments scattered throughout.

18. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    if people know that their comments are going to be scrutinized even 'after the fact', they are going to be a lot less forthright in their discussion

Once again, do we see this in Comms?
    Everytime I have the pleasure of visiting this forum there is inevitably an argument with people from both sides expressing there opinion. More times than not, this is done in a civilized and eloquent manner.
    All this talk of privacy and such reminds me of the arguments the AC members made as to why they should have a private board, and basically never tell anyone what they do. We can see how well that turned out as there is no longer an AC.
    Why not try it differently this time? Why are we basically setting these groups up to conform to the same practices that caused the AC to fail?
    If publicly discussing issues doesn't work the rules can always be changed. I can tell you from being a regular user that it's very alienating to always have the forum being shaped behind the scenes.

19. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    The FG is the Upgrade of the AC.

It is the XP to the AC's 98SE.

And there were a LOT of things said in the AC that would not be said "in public".

that caused the AC to fail?

It did not "fail". Altered to make it better does not equal fail. Failed = Not.

UKS

20. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    And there were a LOT of things said in the AC that would not be said "in public".

Could you give me a general example?

21. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I also agree with Mara, in that any group I'm involved with (on an official level), I want to be public.

I'm not sure that the full text will work, I mean who is going to read a hundred essays on a particular subject? Highlights would probably be the best way to let everyone know what is going on. Unless you really want to read a hundred essays (almost a hundred already) on how to limit Canon wars.

22. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    It sounds like FGs will be really good once the problems are ironed out.

My only concern is how participants will be chosen. I mean, will you pick people who post here at Comms. regularly or will you scan through the Users Online list and pick at random? If you want to get a lot of people taking part, you've got to find good ways to include as many people as possible.

23. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    include as many people as possible.

Who are interested.

A sort of proportional representation was tried in the AC at one point and it failed spectacularly.

The most important thing is to want to have an input.

UKS

24. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    The most important thing is to want to have an input.

I agree and I would like to participate :) I imagine there are many people across the entire JC who would, it's just a case of reaching out to those who don't post here.

Are the mods going to go back to their own forums and tell the people there of the Focus Groups to raise awareness of the FGs once they exist?

25. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    There were no procedures in place for that when the discussion ended in the AC.

That doesn't necessarily mean they haven't created them by now, but it probably means it will be on a Mod by Mod/Forum by Forum basis.

But, I don't think the plan is for members to go politicking the mods running the FG's to try and get on any of them. Rather, wait until it comes to a particular area of interest for yourself.

For instance, there is no point me being on a Lit forum FG, no matter how much I beg, bribe or blackmail. The only contribution I could make is "EU is not Canon. I recommend the Lit forum is deleted."

Which is not very helpful.

UKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.