main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Annoyance

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I am just wondering why such a great wealth of fan films is being squandered by such low bandwidth. Azzem has set up an excellent mirror where i can get 52 kilobytes a second but on the host site all i can get is 3? Don't you think it is a little odd that the people who post their movies on theforce.net are not allowed to post them anywhere else unless they go back to this site? Yet theforce.net can't let people download the movies! Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? Yes I am annoyed but the point of this post is not to flame. The point is to try to figure out what is going on.

1) What is the problem?

2) Why has it been so long and nothing has been done to fix it?

Again I am sorry if it sounds like I am flaming you guys, you really do have a great site here and you put in a lot of good work. However, if you cannot download the movies from here, and you can't download them legally from anywhere else then what is the point?

2. Sauja-Dupen

Sauja-Dupen Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 1999
    I sure they're trying the best they can.

Bandwidth costs, and fan films suck a lot of bandwidth, while generating very little income to justify the cost.

Sauja

3. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey WhisperingDeath ........
    Instead of spouting your head off like an ingrateful dweeb, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and
    send TFN some cash to pay for more bandwidth?

Otherwise, how about not looking a gift horse in the mouth and ENJOYING what TFN has to offer you.
    DANG. :mad:

4. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Hahahahaha.

"Your completely free service that costs you thousands of dollars isn't fast enough!!"

Not to mention that Azeem, David, and myself are all doing the best we can by mirroring films on our own personal servers.

It's just never enough for some people.

5. Saintstoryteller

Saintstoryteller Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2000
    That was uncalled for Tac.

Saint

6. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    *TAC tacks up list onto wall* (no pun intended)

"People That Will Meet A Very Bad End"
    WhisperingDeath
    SaintStoryTeller

and the list continues...

:-D jk

~Neszis~

7. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, I;m sorry you think so ... but WD's comments were rude and inconsiderate.
    Fire meets Fire. [face_mischief]

8. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    more like his burning match meets your flamethrower.

FAWOOOOOOOOOSH!

:p

i am not annoyed about TFN's hosting situation. they give a lot to us and they work hard to keep it going.

9. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    " :mad: " ~JediTAC

I agree.

~DK~

10. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    You don't have a website, do you, WhisperingDeath? Because if you did, you'd probably realize that just because someone administrates a website, doesn't mean they have complete access and control over the physical servers themselves. Because I fail to see how an electrical/mechanical malfunction of a server is the fault of the website's administrators. If MY website goes down, there's not a whole lot I can do about it except call my hosting service.. are you going to blame ME for it?

I agree with all the hotheaded responses above. Your rant is pointless.

11. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Yeah, the situation is out of their hands. The server problems are up to Snowball.

12. Sauja-Dupen

Aug 22, 1999
    Standing Rules at TFN: Somes says something unpopular: Open season!

I've come to expect it from TAC (note TAC <> tact), but some of the other; there goes the bandwagon, get ready to jump on!

I find the lack of respect here disturbing.

SaintStoryTeller is right, but it has become such common place to read such harsh retaliation for even simple mistakes and misunderstandings that SaintStoryTeller has become the target of critism.

What a reversal of values!

It would have been refreshing to read a calm and respectful explanation. Contrary to the assumptions made by most of the "regulars", not everyone is aware of what is going on with the TFN servers, myself included.

MaxVeers, I realise this post must be like a slap in the face, but it is exactly in such a situation that you must rise above the critism and put on a professional face. (I mean this in the most respectful way, from what I know of you, you above this).

Sauja

Don't bother flaming me I won't post replies here, there is enough combustible matieral here already.

PM me if you have a gripe.

SaintStoryTeller: you are not alone.
    I applaud you for speaking your mind, especially when it goes against popular opinion.

13. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Sauja .... did you just graduate from the Seminary or something? Are you a Hare' Krishna? :p
    What's with your "holier than thou" preaching?

Dude, there is A LOT worse things that I or anyone else could say.
    The simple fact is that WhisperingDeath went off on a virtual insulting tangent that he knew very little about.

I mean, how would YOU feel if you offered a homeless person to stay the night at YOUR house,
    only to have him complain that the room is too small? Doesn't seem very appreciative, does it?

Those who replied in a somewhat heated tone, including myself, simply feel that Mr.WD was very rude and unappreciative of the service that TFN has been offering for over three years . . . and, so, we let him know about it.

Maybe, next time, he won't be so quick to complain about that which is given to him. ;)

14. Saintstoryteller

Sep 6, 2000
    OK,

First off I would like to apologize for having said anything in the first place. The last thing I wanted was for a respected member of this board to get flamed for defending my post defending someone else's question.

Thank you Sauja.

TFN is a great site for hosting fanfilms. They do a lot for very little in return. I think new people just don't understand what goes into the maintaining of one of these sites. It's similar to those posts from people who have never made a fanfilm, but criticize fanfilm-makers for their lack of Hollywood Production Values-they have nothing to compare it with.

It was just my feeling that these people should not be attacked for asking questions. WhisperingDeath didn't just criticize TFN, he asked a question. And I believe it is the responsibility of the senior members of this board to help guide new members no matter how many times they ask the same question. How can we expect others to post with respect if we don't do the same.

This will be my last post on this thread as well.

So as Forrest Gump would say "That's all I have to say about that." :)

Saint

15. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Uhhhh just a note TAC, in the analogy with the homeless guy complaining about the house - you're either standing on the street watching it or renting space. Let's not assume powers we do not have.

I understand you get pretty emotional and let things affect personally but you're giving Sauja material to bash us with on other forums. :)

16. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    It is amazing that i try to figure out what the problem is with downloading these films but instead of a one post answer i get 12 posts about how bad of a person I am. I specifically said in my origional post that 'this is a great site' and 'i am not trying to flame'. Jedi TAC, you must have been the village idiot growing up or something... how else could you be so full of blind hate without any thought to what the writter's intentions were? Did you even read all of my first post or just one scentence? 'fire meets fire'

Anyway, I am glad that somewhere in the gigantic mess of flame I was able to find the answer to one of my questions. That the problem stems from a hardware issue. And Jedi2016 where did I ever asign blame for the server problems? Where did I say the problem lay with the Administrators.

It would be one thing if this site was one of many sites people could download others' work from. The simple fact is that the makers of theforce.net say that the film makers cannot host their work from any other site but theirs. And when you cannot download the labors of love that many people have spent so long and so much money on, it is a real travesty to the film maker. The many film makers who have put forth so much effort are the ones being hurt the most by this.

I asked this question as a film maker, not a film watcher. My point was to figure out if this site would be the best place to host my film once it is completed.

I do not doubt the intentions of the makers of theforce.net but this is a serious problem to the whole fan film community this site has done such a great job of growing and supporting.

17. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Sigh - Whispering Death don't go to the trouble and defend yourself - be best to let it drop.

AND DONT FLAME!!!!!

Didnt you see how others get jumped on when they flame you? common courtesy guys.

And azeem has stated before that films are on other servers like IFILM or ATOM of Fanfilmfx, but TFN is our DON KING. :)

18. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey Whispering,

This server problem has only been an issue for a couple of weeks, and I'm sure we will find a resolution soon. The mirror sites here are a stop-gap until we can get the server back on it's feet or sorted in some way. Rest assured, we are working to fix the problem as soon as we can.

And I believe it is the responsibility of the senior members of this board to help guide new members no matter how many times they ask the same question. How can we expect others to post with respect if we don't do the same.

::appluase:: :)

19. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Jedi TAC, you must have been the village idiot growing up or something

I GUARANTEE I am more educated than YOU.

And as for you asking a "simple question,"

Apparently I was not the only one who did not get that from your message.

'nuff said. :D

20. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    //hides behind JediTAC in case the bullies next door come over

21. Sauja-Dupen

Aug 22, 1999
    Goes to show education isn't everything!

SaintStoryTeller
    Don't appologize. I can take anything he can dish out. (Sticks and stones)

The day we sit by and let the reign of judgemental, abusive and disrespectful behaviour go uncheck is the day the community dies.

There will come a day when the voices here will all be helpful, polite and respectful.

Have faith.

Your truly,
    Hari Krishna

22. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Well said, Sauja . . . well said.

In restrospect, and introspect, I admire your integrity. :)

23. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    ::Mumble::

I'm curious, I understand the frustrations presented here, but... I've never seen any situations that have presented the boards, or at least ours, to particular rashness or flaming. Sure, it happens, I'll be the first to agree on that, however I think we've come a long way. On the whole, I find the fanfilm board a place of respect. Situations are delt with swiftly, and life goes on. I suppose what I'm getting at, is it's not cool to see the board under attack for some things that, at this point, are rather... trivial?
    Perhaps my thoughts on the subject are misplaced. Forgive me if that's the case.

Peace [face_plain]

~DK~

24. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    And my friends wonder why I bother to read message boards. Can't buy entertainment like this.

[face_laugh]

25. Saintstoryteller

Sep 6, 2000
    Let the past be an enemy long since forgotten, and the future a friend whose coming we all greet together with anticipation and unity.

:)

Saint

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.