main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Annoyance

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    I agree 100 percent with whispering death (I got your back man).....why does it take so dam long for me to download a movie, even if i have cable modem? Thats what bandwith is right??????

Okay go ahead and yell at me and make fun of me for not be totally sure what badnwith is. but i just think TFN is popular enough to put alittle more money into this great "empire" (pun intended) for morebandwith. If that makes me greedy or whatever you wuld call someone that expects to much then sorry. Thats how i feel

2. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    but i just think TFN is popular enough to put alittle more money into this great "empire" (pun intended) for morebandwith

remember, the heads of TFN are a few compared to the number of visitors that come to the site. how would you suggest they put in more money?

running a website/webserver can get expensive. i don't think you realize that. i got a special bargain when i got mine, $14.95/month for only 500MB and 6GB bandwidth. TFN has a lot of content, not just fan films. and one fan film might be downloaded over 100 times.
    100 Downloads x 50MB fanfilm = 5000MB or 5GB transfer. that's just for ONE film and probably in a week's timeframe.

EDIT: i edit, re-read, add more, re-read, etc.

some of us cannot pay out of our own pockets. i don't enjoy having that extra bill for having my own website. whatever little money TFN gets from advertisements (is that correct?) goes towards maintaining the site.

please try to understand, people (for those that do not). a professional webserver is a complex matter, not your average Geocities account ;)

BTW, it's tricky when it comes to making money off a site. all of TFN's content is based off copyrighted material from 20th Century Fox/LucasFilm LTD.

3. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    <sigh> Two pages for something that could have been handled in one single message.

original questions were.

>>1) What is the problem?

>>2) Why has it been so long and nothing has >>been done to fix it?

A simple
    1) there is a problem with the server hardware
    2) the appropriate technicians have been notified and the admins of TFN are doing what they can to get content available in the meantime. Unfortunatly no ETA on a fix.

But instead we get two pages of flames from people including some TFN Staff.

Not everyone who uses the net know how it works. Not everyone is familar with terms like bandwidth or latency or even server.

HOWEVER WhisperingDeath could have used a slightly less abrasive topic for the questions :)

We are all annoyed at the problems. And I am sure no one more so than the folks who run this site.

To quote Bill and Ted "Be excellent to one another"

Shadoe
    MSP Prophet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.