main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

annoying pop up thingy

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by malkieD2, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm a good internet surfer, but today I've been attacked by a pop-up beast.

Both spybot and adaware say that I'm clean, and I have a hardware firewall and good anti-virus.

However, I've been getting an annoying pop-up all day, and its just on one machine, not every machine I use.

This is the popup that I keep getting: http://680180.net/UKSMS.html

and this is the sourcecode for it:
    < /html >
    < head >
    <!-- ----------Advertising.com Banner Code---------- -->
    < SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    var bnum=new Number(Math.floor(99999999 * Math.random())+1);
    document.write('<SCR'+'IPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" ');
    document.write('SRC="http://servedby.advertising.com/site=690790/bnum='+bnum+'/pops=1"></SCR'+'IPT>');
    < /SCRIPT >
    < !-- ----------Copyright 2000, Advertising.com---------- -->
    < /head >
    < /html >

Luckily STOPzilla is blocking the ads, but I'd prefer to know why I am getting them. Anyone else getting it ? or know how to prevent it happening ?

2. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    I've not been getting it but then I have Pop-Up stopper professional running and browse using Firefox Mozilla which has a pop up stopper also.

You can check out Firefox here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Can't recommend that browser highly enough... trashes IE my a mile. Faster, more secure, tabbed browsing and loads of plugins to boot! It's also skinnable which is fantastic!

Also you could try checking out here: http://forums.techguy.org/ if you're having serious problems, you could be being hijacked, check out the security forums for techy hijacking help etc :)

3. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Thanks for your second link - it is an awesome website.
    STOPzilla seems to be working blocking the pop-ups, and (touch-wood) I haven't had a pop-up in a long time.

Seems strange because I'm usually immune to anything nasty because of my hardware firewall.

4. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    There's all kinds of nasties lurking out there with ever increasingly more annoying ways of getting onto your harddrive nowadays though.

You only need to click onto one lick and KABOOM... my PC is like fort knox but I've still had crap appearing occasionally but it's soon dealt with and usually by one of the guys or gals on that TechSupportGuy place!

5. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    Firefox rocks - best browser I've ever used.

Change to linux - it's not evil and, unless you install them yourself, you ain't gonna have any problems with viruses, spyware or any other crap - the kernel cannot be accessed by ordinary users as with MS OSs

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Change to linux

Thats not a bad idea, but all of the software I use at work is windows compatible only :(

7. Obi_Jedi_2004

Obi_Jedi_2004 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    pop-ups are anoying though thankfully i hav a different internet wich does not let any pop-ups.

8. al_is_a_jedi

al_is_a_jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2004
    Thats not a bad idea, but all of the software I use at work is windows compatible only

Have you tried wine from www.winehq.com if you install it in linux you can run most windows software like photoshop, ms office 2000, that said office xp may need a little cracking mind you oh and dreamweaver mx etc all works in wine.

Wine comes in an easy to install Rpm file which installs with one double click. Which is a vast improvement against the older version which required you to install using the shell command line.

If anyone is intrested, me and a few of my friends are working on making a crack of mandrake linux which will include wine, Xine with all codecs including libdvdcss and a improvement on that crappy gui as default when you istall the cd's.

www.axehq.com I will probably have the iso's up in a month for download. [face_peace] (wishes there was a penguin smilie)

9. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    na, trust me, my software won't run through anything else but Windows.

And be careful talking about cracking/piracy on the JC, its not the best thing to be talking about.

But anyways, the problem appears to be fixed itself. Odd, I know.

10. al_is_a_jedi

al_is_a_jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2004
    Its not piracy under the Gnu (general public licence) you are allowed to modify all linux software. For full details visit Gnu.org Thats how it works. I like it this way you just improve or crack the software tell people how you did it and its ok. Thats why they call it open source [face_peace]

11. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    linux is teh :cool:

K-software is better than MS counterparts, imo - and the old complaint about gaming is not really an issue any more. Not a big gamer myself, but KotOR works like a dream. I'm gonna wave goodbye to the blue screen of death forever within 6 months (I'm still a windoze luser with a partitioned hard-drive)

12. Angel_of_Sith

Angel_of_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2002
    I use Knoppix on a regular basis. I have to say though, I'm not too impressed with Knoppix 3.4 as I can't get the internet to work, where as it works just fine under 3.3. Oh well.

It's a good thing to start out into Linux with as it runs from a cd and doesn't require any hard drive partitions or installations to work. I'd recomend it for all new Linux users.

Oh, and there is an official liux users thread in the JCC, it can be found here.

13. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    gonna wave goodbye to the blue screen of death forever within 6 months

While I am fully aware of the "Blue screen of death", in the 6 years I have used Windows (98/ME/XP at home, NT 4.0 at work and 2000 at University) I have never had the "Blue screen of death".

Is it me or this whole concept slightly overblown?

[face_monkey]

14. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

http://680180.net/UKSMS.html

LOL My popup kills you LOL

UKS

15. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    It's not so much Microsoft - although the monopoly they have & the way they've secured it is pretty shady, imo.
    It's more the way 'intellectual property' is being applied these days. Ownership of the breakdown of the human genome, for example, bothers me. Generally, the antics of massive corporations, particularly those dealing in arms, oil & pharmaceuticals - concern me. A whole bunch of idealistic weirdos like me are trying to do our bit to make the world a less commercial, friendlier and, imo, more free place to live.

Sometimes we get filled with self-righteous bull, and start harping on about blue screens of death etc. Take it with a pinch of salt = but only a pinch!

16. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    It's not so much Microsoft - although the monopoly they have & the way they've secured it is pretty shady, imo.
    It's more the way 'intellectual property' is being applied these days. Ownership of the breakdown of the human genome, for example, bothers me. Generally, the antics of massive corporations, particularly those dealing in arms, oil & pharmaceuticals - concern me. A whole bunch of idealistic weirdos like me are trying to do our bit to make the world a less commercial, friendlier and, imo, more free place to live.

Sometimes we get filled with self-righteous bull, and start harping on about blue screens of death etc. Take it with a pinch of salt = but only a pinch!

Well lets be fair, the Linux issue which is growing (and fair play to them) is beginning to give Microsoft issues and I think they will have to change the way they approach business in the long run. Your challenge on Microsoft's monopoly (which at times, IMO, is blown out of proportion) is as much the fault of the complete lack of competitors out there as it is Microft's (after all they are only out to make money), but then you could consider that a question of the Capitalist system that the Western World lives in.

Your challenge on the commercial aspect of life is completely justified, for whatever your reasons, and in some respects ties into what we are talking about in the Microsoft issue. One thing to remember about these large commercial organisations is that they employ a lot of people, and the services and products they provide are valued by those that purchase and support them. If people don't support the services and products of these organisations then its a case of don't purchase them, they will soon go out of business - I am aware that this is not always the case with monopoly situations, but like I said the Microsoft monopoly is often overblown and the recent desire for Linux is further proof that it will continue to fall away.

Btw, I appreciate what you say about taking stuff with a pinch of salt ;) I was only merely making a personal observation. You people who are "filled with self-righteous bull" are often right, and I fully respect your opinions.

[face_monkey]

17. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    Thanks, McD! The bees in my bonnet sometimes go a bit haywire!

18. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Thanks, McD! The bees in my bonnet sometimes go a bit haywire!

Don't worry about it, it happens to us all ;)

[face_monkey]

19. ad-fitso

ad-fitso Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2004
    annoying pop up thingy are really annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.