main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another attempt at a RPG thread...

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Clockwork, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clockwork

Clockwork Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2002
    I know I've asked this before, but who wants to get a roleplaying group going? I know ZOO and JO are interested, so who else? Also, what days and times are convenient? At this point we're looking at trying to get together once a month or so, probably at my store.

2. TK1305

TK1305 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    I'm in to play it just hard to get enough money to do it. and while its free to play its a long drive for me to your store .but if josh is interested we could car pool.

3. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    carpool- you bet. my only problem is also the money to get started. Ive got a few things on pre-order, 3 figures i dont have yet, i wanna try to learn the card game, & someone keeps sending me bills for stuff like electricity & gas & cell phones & a bunch of other junk im sure i dont need, but my wife likes it when you flip the switch & the light comes on. so we'll see.

4. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, I've got the new core rulebook, and I hope to have enough on the 15th to get one of the new sourcebooks. We could always share until everyone can catch up. I was going to read through it on my trip, but I got hooked on the NJO stuff. Maybe next weekend I can get through it enough to be of use, but really if you have any RPG experience you can make a character w/ little book stuff, and investment. It's the gamemaster who makes the investment. If we have a gamemaster I'm in for sure. I'm not experienced enough for anything that aggressive.

5. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    so , whats the bare minimum for me to get started ? maybe i can try to pull it together this weekend. when are we shooting for to play? weekends seem the most likely of course, & mine are pretty open.

6. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I don't know. I was gonna get the new core rule book but having no job really kills that idea. I'm sure I can scrap up money because I'd like to read up on all the classes. I just glanced at it one day at Clockwork and I need to buy it in order to read it lol (i don't like sitting around reading something in a store that sells things that you read lol) So hopefully soon I can scrap up some money. I'm definitely interested though. hey Jefferson, isn't this tuesday Dead Lands? [face_devil] and btw, you know the end of SW when it says Directed by George Lucas..the music that plays? If you listen to it for a little while after that intro, it sounds like a western movie.... lol

EDIT: 5:15 into Confrontation With Count Dooku is where it sounds like the western lol yeah, i'm bored, so what?

7. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    AHPR, all you really need to get started is the core rulebook, which is $40. As ZOO said, we can share rulebooks if we need to. I would be willing to start off as gamemaster, but what I'd like to do is trade off gamemastering every few months so I don't get stuck doing it all the time, and other players get a chance once they feel they're up to it.

Let's try to pick a date & time to get started. A Sunday afternoon would work best for me (other than the 23rd of June), but I'm reasonably flexible. We can play at my store (I have gaming tables set up already and I even stock snacks & stuff). Everyone chime in on when you are and are not available.

8. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    sunday afternoons will work great-but, the 40 for the rule book is gonna have to wait for now--& i also need to decide if im jumping into the cardgame or the RPG first.i havent really played either style of game-- they both seem fun- any thoughts ?

9. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    You can borrow my or ZOO's rulebook for the RPG, so I say jump into the card game (it's pretty cheap to get into -- $20 or so to get started). You only really need the rulebook for the RPG if you're going to be the gamemaster.

10. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Had a great time playing Hero Clix today, Jefferson. Would you help me create a character sometime next week?

11. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I don't think I would like to play RPG games but I'm all up for the card games.

12. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    C'mon Kim, don't let me be the only Chick. Anyway, the best part of RPG is creating the character you play w/. Th other stuff is just goofing around, sort of. The few times I've gotten to play the old one was always a real blast.

13. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    ZOO, my girlfriend is probably going to play so you won't be the only femme.

SITH CHICK, we're doing a tournament for the new card game on Sunday the 16th. Also, we get together and play every Wednesday night at my store -- you and Hair should come down some time.

14. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Oh, and you should probably get dice. Some people are a little freaky about you using their dice.

You will need (according to the book):
    1 or 2 4-sided dice (d4)
    4 or more 6-sided dice (d6)
    1 8-sided die (d8)
    2 10-sided dice (d10)
    1 12-sided die (d12)
    1 20 sided die (d20)

They also say you need the book (of course they do), a copy of a character sheet (which I can run off for anyone), pencil & some scratch paper (maybe even some graph paper), and something to represent your character (a miniature or action figure) though this is totally a judgement call on your part (I've never played w/figures/miniatures myself).

BTW - This reminds me, Jefferson do you have dice at your store, I have to get me some of those. I gave away my last ones because they weren't being used my me, so why not, who knew?

15. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    he's got bazillion dice at his store

16. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    Yes, I have tons of dice. Are we any closer to deciding on a date to start? The store's event schedule is wide open on June 9 or June 30. Which date works better for you, and what time? Late afternoon/early evening would work marginally better for me, but it doesn't really matter that much.

17. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Let's shoot for the 30th, I've got plans for the 9th. Plus it gives me time to go through the book.

18. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    Okay, June 30th it is, let's say 3:00 or so. We'll create characters and do a short adventure.

19. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Sounds great! I'll be there.

20. TK1305

May 22, 2002
    I third this idea. so its official now .

21. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    Done. Sunday June 30 at 3:00 at Clockwork Comics & Games. I'll see you all there!

22. TK1305

May 22, 2002
    I dug out my dice and got all I need so I'm good to go on them.

23. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Can you write this and the 16th up as a news story and post on the site CW?

24. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    Certainly. They're both posted on the gaming site, but I'll put them on the main site as well.

25. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm going to see if my brothers might be interested in this, too. One won't make it because Sunday is his RPG night, but the other might like to join us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.