main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA Another "bleeping" Star Wars fan film!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Nik420, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nik420

Nik420 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006
    However, this one is being shot with a better than broadcast quality camera and the resultant production can even be projected in theaters.

In any case, I want to know how many people with props, collectibles and costumes would like to be part of a local effort.

We already have a pretty good story that involves "remnant" Empire forces, dark and light jedi, a small jedi academy on an obscure world, smugglers and bounty hunters, and most importantly, a jeid "mcguffin" for all of them to chase after.

Anybody want to come play Star Wars with us?

Regards,

Nik

*Locked Per Request*

2. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    hmmm... I am interested but lack the awesome costume and acting abilities. It also depends on when and where and if I can be an extra. :p

3. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    My costume is currently in a couple of piles of fabric still. Plus, I can't act. I laugh too much. :p It sounds awesome and if you need any help, let me know. I'll figure out something to do. :D

Edit: MCGUFFIN!! Sorry, took a Hitchcock class. [face_dancing]

JediFarfy

4. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I'd be willing to help. But alas, I too have no acting tallent whatsoever!

5. DetShogan

DetShogan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2006
    i guess I can try too help

6. Rishadq

Rishadq Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2006
    I can act "natural" if that's what you mean. Actually, the closest I came to acting in "real life" is when they shut down my street up in Vancouver for a day while David Arquette and his posse filmed "Stealing Sinatra" for HBO. I got to eat some of the extra food for my troubles.

But yeah, I'd love to be involved in a local fan film production, even though as others have mentioned about themselves:

- I have no acting experience, and possibly no talent :_|
    - My costume is in a crappy state :_|

But hey, crappy acting is part of the fun of a fan film, isn't it? :D

ACTION!

7. Maco_Star

Maco_Star Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    I can help... I was in a few plays and was in drama in hs. Did some acting for church, junior high and high school... a little voice acting for puppets also. I am not a professional though? I would love to help...even to be an extra.

8. Nik420

Nik420 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006
    By the way, I have been a fan since 1977, or is that already in my profile? So, the idea has, in some way or other, been rolling around in the back of my mind for some time.

Don't sweat the acting as we already have a few actors who do have some experience. And trust me, they're better actors than that kid who played Anniken in Episode One. And the dialogue will be markedly better than what was in Episode Two.

In fact, all but maybe two of the leads have already been cast, including an older gentleman with a very cultured Brit accent who we will have play a high ranking Empiriel officer. Everyone else would be either a supporting player or an extra.

I'll clue you in on the story eventually. But first I want to make sure you know a few things.

Though some might be disappointed, my 2 writing partners and I, who all have a bug up our butts to do this, made the decision to make this story entirely new and original and won't include any of the popular characters.

That is not to say they won't be mentioned.

Also, we thought it might be a fun gag to include Jar Jar so that he can be hacked down by lightsaber by saying the wrong thing to a dark Jedi, meaning no "harmie" of course!

Additionally, it takes place well after the fall of the Empire, and in fact, somewhere during the events of Jedi: Dark Forces I & II, Outcast and Academy, the video games.

The ONE character we thought about bringing into this is Kyle in a short scene, who has been sent to this small Jedi academy by Luke to recruit a "promising" padawan and his teacher for a "small" mission but important mission. We're not solid about Kyle's appearence, but we wanted to distance our characters from the ones in the films and books. We'll include the character of Kyle IF, and it's a BIG IF, we find someone who looks "remarably" like the character in the video games.

It would be the first time anybody sees him in the "flesh", as it were.

Also, while there are a number of space battles planned, nothing like the big battles we have seen in any of the films. Instead, the story is more centered around the adventures of both the light and dark Jedi.

That means some kick-ass light saber duels. Any stunt people?

I know for a fact that there are plenty of stormtroopers costumes in this area: I have seen at least one or two platoons at Norwescon; was damn near mowed over by them, to be honest!

Funny story; I had been playing Dark Forces II for about 3 weeks just prior to the con, and had been developing that reflex to shoot Stormtroopers on sight, with extreme prejudice.

Well, I guess that reflex was more ingrained than I though, because the first thing I did when I saw these guys at the con was to reach for my non-existent blaster!

Strange how the emotional reactions you have to a PC game seem to seep into your real life when you least expect it.

BTW, does anybody play online or play SW Galaxies?

It might go without saying, but we're going to need some serious 3-D modelers and animators who can render stuff at least equal to IMPS, the sequel to TROOPS.

We do have a handful of great CG artists already, but they'll need help.

More to come!

9. Nik420

Nik420 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006

I am encouraged by your enthusiastic responses.

Just to be realistic, even getting started right away with everything that needs to be prepared, to do a really decent production, it will be well into 2007 before we can shoot the first scene.

That?ll give the folks who need to finish their costumes plenty of time (ha, ha, if not for procrastination!)

We?re building our own green-screen so that we can do some of the more elaborate shots. And basically, there will be three kinds of shoots:

1. Outdoor locations.
    2. Green-screen
    3. Small sets built in our garages.

This last one is the most important since it involves the most work. But they need not be much. IF anybody has already taken steps of any kind to create or recreate any Star Wars interior, then let us know. That could be a big time saver.

I have a decent sized garage here in Tacoma, which is obviously contributed to the cause. Plus, it is a working shop for both set building and prop making. In fact, it has been for 15 years now. Hot glue anyone? The smell of it reminds me of home and I don?t know why.

In any case, what I?m saying here is that we will need several of you to create interiors inside your garages. And though you may not have ever built any interiors in their entirety, you may have constructed a wall hanging, a full sized bust of some character, a tapestry, or small pieces to go on a shelf, or somesuch. Remember, that for any set to be truly believable, all you really need is two walls (and sometimes three.)

Incredible things can be accomplished with vacu-formed fast food containers and grey paint. Just add a few ?greeblies? (read that as Star wars style set dressing) and it will look great.

Go back and look at Obi-Wan?s house in Episode four. Notice how crappy the place really is. It?s decorated with crap, seriously.

The most elaborate set will be a ?cantina.? In our story, when the band starts to play that all too recognizable tune that has been playing in everything Star Wars for more than twenty years now, one of my characters complains and says: ?Can?t you play anything else?? At which point, the band starts playing a DIFFERENT tune.

Oh, by the way, we?ll need an all alien band too. Any aliens out there?

And if you would LIKE to be an alien, but lack the skills to make a rubber mask, I can help. I have extensive experience, and in fact, have one, full over the head alien mask already, which I intend to feature in the film.

The story is written so that the scenes can be shot in one of these three ways.

Naturally, the props and costumes are a no brainer. For the most part, they already exist because we have either already made them or have collected them over the years.

Of the work I have seen from this group, I must say, it?s quite excellent for the most part. What a better way to showcase what we all worked so hard to make, than in a Star Wars fan film.

The FIRST thing that needs to be done is the organization of teams in charge of each of the three main areas of, props, costumes and sets. And three team leaders. Who volunteers?

We?ll need lists of every person, every costume, every prop (even down to wall hangings, knick-nacks, and other SW sundry items) and every set dressing item and garage that is available to the production.

THAT doesn?t take any acting skill at all. Also, I suppose we?ll need a central hub to work from. This forum is okay, but I?m thinking maybe a Yahoo group, or any group really, that is solely dedicated to the project. I?m open to suggestions on this.

My production team and I have everything else taken care of, from the setting up of camera, lights and sound, to post production and editing.

If all of you can supply the other 3, plus some savvy 3-D artists, then we have a movie!

And on that point, I'd say, DON'T BUILD ANYTHING NEW! It would be a big time saver if the 3-D artists didn't have to build any NEW meshes or original designs. ALL of the Star Wars ships and vehicles exist on the internet as free "shareware" downloads. So there is no point in building

10. InvaderSil

InvaderSil Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2006
    Nooo! Not Tacoma!!!

Actually sounds like a cool thing. I don't know what I could do as I suck all around *see nods off in the audience* other than watch it at the end. :)

InvaderSil

11. Nik420

Nik420 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006
    ...we also have a real composer to do original music.

12. Nik420

Nik420 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006

Can I get you all to sound off?

Please indicate where you are and how far from Tacoma (and, it's all good, here except for the aroma!)

13. DetShogan

Apr 13, 2006
    Paul - Renton/Skyway - handful o miles from Tacoma 15-30mins away traffic depending

14. Rishadq

Jun 19, 2006
    I live in North Seattle / Greenwood area. So I'm guessing it's about 45 min away from Tacoma, possibly more depending on traffic.

15. Maco_Star

Maco_Star Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Mikyl from west seattle...45min. from tacoma without traffic

16. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I live 10 minutes north of downtown Seattle.

17. Nik420

Nik420 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006

Most of you are North. Well, that will still work. Most of our efforts will have to be in and around Seattle then.

It goes without saying that we will need to meet eventually. I have recently joined a SW group that meets up there, hopping around to various coffee shops and such. I'll go find out when they will meet next, post the info so you can join too.

In the meantime, could I get someone, just one person, to start cataloging all the SW related stuff that people have that can be contributed to the production?

Like I mentioned, one guy has a VERY nicely done R2 unit. Repainted, it could appear several times. Better yet, we can just make two or three heads for it and have it continue reappearing as different units.

This is going to be a learning experience for all of us. And I hope to share some of my filmmaking experience with you as well.

Who has any 3-D objects of any SW ships in their computer?

18. Rishadq

Jun 19, 2006
    Hi Nik,

It's Rishad "Q" from the Seattle Star Wars Meetup, I'm the guy who organizes that other meetup, but I'm pretty much in sync with what Emerald Squadron is doing, and we're more or less a cross-over group at this point.

I think we should all meet in person at some point and talk about your ideas, see what your plans are, see what your timeline is like, see who's available for what level of comittment, who can bring what to the table, etc etc. (I'm a project manager during the day in "real life", so it's natural for me to ask these things :-B)

It sounds cool though, just based on all you've written so far!

- Q

19. Nik420

Nik420 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006

Mr. "Q", good to hear from you. YES, your assistance is greatly appreciated. May I call you "Q" here on the board? I promise to call you Rishad in person.

The logistics of keeping track of all this will make the average person's head spin, or worse, make them feel like the world is spinning around them, which may make them dizzy and nauseous!

Actually, I have done a lot of research specifically on the quality of various fan films. There's some GOOD stuff out there. I like to examine their weaknesses and think of ways how it can be done better.

The amazing thing is, PC technology has put incredibly cheap, but powerful software tools in our hands.

I have several high end 3-D animation softwares, for example. And the best editing programs money can buy, as in Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere, though I will more than likely use Vegas for this because it has some very nice bells and whistles.

Above all that, we have some incredible talent; people who I have gathered together for a unrelated production. Which, by the way, you may be interested to take a look at it, as it does show some of the talent I am speaking of. Just go to:

www.bitnot.com to see what I'm talking about.

EVERYTHING we have to contribute to this effort is "professional grade."

We have an opportunity to make the best damn SW fan film to date, if that's what you all want to shoot for.

Q, since I am already a member of the SW group, I do plan to make it to the meetings. I think it would be convenient if everyone who has expressed their interest here also attend, as this will also bring both groups together. We're you already thinking along those lines?

20. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    All you have to do is pick a day and time (please give us lots of time to plan accordingly). :)
    We have a sectertary and JediFarfy is pretty obsessive so if she wants to take up the inventory job her results (IMO) will be the best. Maybe PM her what is all needed and stuff and see if she can do it?

21. Nik420

Nik420 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006

Has anybody built anything full size besides costumes? Let's say a landspeeder, an X-wing, or part of one. Any vehicles, droids, a C-3PO costume, aliens of any kind (even non-SW's). Maybe somebody who has converted part of their house into a SW interior (I know that some people have done this, but not in Washington as far as I know.)

Anything people have put their hard work into making that will sell this story as a part of the SW universe, basically.

Before anything else, we need to take stock of what is available, as that will determine a lot, especially for scheduling scene one.

I also want to reiterate that, to do a really good production, we need to be patient and prepare everything so that it will look as good as it can.

I've worked on many a production, from full scale Hollywood to low/no budget indies and many theatrical productions inbetween (would it surprise you to learn that I prefer working on indie films rather than Hollywood films?)

My point is, I know from experience that the well thought out production where you take the time to get it right always runs smoother and the results will be obvious to the audience (and who will be our audience?)

We have no deadline on this, so we can afford to take the time to do it right.

My projection for when we can shoot scene one will land us sometime in January. If we move faster than that, I'm all for starting up sooner. My camera and crew aren't going anywhere. And they all want to do this.

Some of the people on the other forums seem to be chomping at the bit to have a meeting. So, to further that process, here are the other forums of which you may already be a member:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/display_forum_topics.asp?ForumID=39

http://www.keee.com/gt/

And the "Meetup" SW group: http://starwars.meetup.com/78/events/5095217/

It's the meetup group through which I intend to meet all of you of which Qrishad is a member (if you aren't aware, which you may be.)

Let me know if this will work for all of you.

Next time: more about the story!

22. Nik420

Nik420 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2006

I know a lot of you have been waiting for this, so here?s a synopsis, embroidered with notes on sets, props and costumes in brackets [].

Most of the characters have not been named, partly because I thought it would be fun if the people who created characters for cons could use the names they have come up with. Therefore, characters will be referred to as ?Jedi Master 1#?, ?Bounty Hunter 1#?, ?Padawan 1#? and so forth.

I suggest that work parties be formed, just like the costume parties that you already do, only more of them and more frequently. I can advise you on how to get these things done cheaply (pennies) on the dollar and achieve stunning results; this is one of my fortes. Trust me you will be amazed by the results.

SYNOPSIS:

Two bounty hunters in a freighter are chasing a small, one man fighter being piloted by a ?dark Jedi? who has an ancient scroll with clues to an ancient Jedi artifact. In the firefight, both ships are damaged and need to land on a small backwater planet.

It was the New Republic who hired these bounty hunters because the artifact could undermine the rebuilding of the republic.

[My small team will take care of all the props and costumes for the two bounty hunters and the ship interior set for the freighter. The Dark Jedi?s ship interior is something else again; I was thinking this ship could be based on one of the ones used in the early episodes and/or the animated Clone Wars. Besides the two bounty hunters, there are also two droids, one an astromech (R2 unit) and an ex-imperial floater droid reprogrammed to assist in ship repairs. The floater droid is already built, actually. But the R2 unit will have to be a redress of one that is contributed to the production.]

Meanwhile, at a small Jedi Academy on another backwater planet, Kyle has been sent by Luke Skywalker to recruit a pair of Jedi to investigate a rumor about six dark Jedi who have recently been revived after being in stasis for five thousand years. Their mission is only to confirm if the rumor is true.

[The six dark Jedi are potentially a great costume opportunity for somebody, especially if you happen to fancy being a dark Jedi! The concept here is kind of a Darth Vader on steroids! That is to say, that the back story for these six, is that they were involved with the original founding of the ?Sith? cult. These six were the most feared and revered dark Jedi throughout the galaxy because they had no equal. Always working as a team, they never failed a mission. That is, until all six were simultaneously injured in battle. Then of course, they were repaired with similar technology that saved Anakin?s life and made him Darth Vader. If one Darth Vader is bad, then six are much, much worse! Each one is unique and different, all having different face plates but similar helmets. The costumer should not feel obligated to make them Darth Vader clones and they shouldn?t be for originalities sake. These six ?Darths? were given the very special task of guarding this ancient Sith artifact, put in stasis until such time as they and the artifact are needed again, according to prophecy.

My vision for the Jedi Academy is simple: something similar to a backyard Chinese garden, but with Jedi practice areas. The practice areas would be similar to the ones in the computer games (Dark Forces, Outcast, Academy), in that there are large, carved stones for Padawan to practice their abilities on. If you?re familiar with the games, then you know the stones I?m referring to. These can be made with cardboard and/or paper Mache or a combination of both. And painted to look like stone, and pulled by off camera strings. Sound effects of scraping stone will be added to the soundtrack. The costumes are what will be contributed to the production. The office of the Academy will be a small set, with SW universe type decorations and sundries, built in someone?s garage or other suitable space. Being a backwater planet, it need not be incredibly elaborate, as long as it looks like a place in the SW universe. There is the additional, extra credit

23. DetShogan

Apr 13, 2006
    Your thinking a little big there guy.......sweeeeeeeet!

sounds fun..

if needed I'm part of Rebel Legion/Alpha Base and know people in the 501st/Garrison Titan Costuming groups and I could talk to them about helping, BUT I have notice that it is best to inquire about help from them after script is done and near time or filming (many have seen a lot of people ask for help then never do the movie)and you can go to www.keee.com/gt thats where the Garrison Titan boards are and most Alpha Base members go there too.

hope that you can find plenty of help within Emerald Squadron, Alpha Base, Seattle Meet up, and Garrison Titan!

-Paul

24. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Like Yvette said, I'm Miss Obsessive Lists and Spreadsheets. :p

BTW, I live in West Seattle/White Center (Now with less drug deals!), so about 45 minutes away as well.

JediFarfy

25. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Oh heh, yeah. I am about 15 minutes from JediFarfy. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.