Seattle, WA Another "bleeping" Star Wars fan film!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Nik420, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Yes, Det Shogan, it would be great to get all of Emerald Squadron, Alpha Base, Seattle Meet up, and Garrison Titan and even the entire Star wars community involved in this.

There IS power in numbers! And if every one of them put even a little effort into this, imagine the resultant production from all that effort.

I think that this fan community is so enthusiastic about Star Wars, that I'll bet they have built or collected pretty much everything you see in the films, including interiors, droids, landspeeders, ships and such. Aside from the larger things like star destroyers and a death star, which have been modeled in 3-D anyway.

MORE than enough to make a kick ass movie.

Anyway, here's something for somebody to sink their teeth into:

The six Darths of the Sith!

My thought is that this might be a job for the 501st, since they seem to have a plethora of Darth Vaders in their group. As a time saver, I thought that the costumes for these six new Darths could be built up using the same base costume as Vader. The ONLY parts that might be the same are the helmet, and the cape (boots, gloves, the pants and tunic could be altered, replaced or modified to be different for each one). To give each one of these Darths a unique look, the respirator for each of them would be unique to the ?damage? sustained by the individual, because I doubt that they would all been hurt in exactly the same way. One might have a more elaborate and larger unit, while another would have something smaller. Also, it might be interesting to not have them all centered in the middle of his chest. Maybe one off to the side, another with a unit that starts at his beltline, all the way up his chest to his neck. Maybe another has an entirely rebuilt chest.

What we don?t want is six Darth Vader clones, but to give each one his own unique look and character.

The mask, likewise, should be unique, as long as ?most? of the face is covered, particularly the eyes. It would be interesting to see one where the mask only covered the upper part of his face so that we could still see his real mouth.

Also, if it wasn?t too much trouble, it would be great to have additional variations of color and texture in the costume. Darth Vader?s costume looks mostly like shiny leather (or vinyl). But it would further remove these guys from Vader if their fabric was flat black. These six could each have their own variations, maybe having layers of dark grey or even navy blue.

In addition, each one would have a different preference for light sabers. One would be a two light saber dueler. Another would have a double, and another, with two blades, side by side. In fact, has anybody ever put any thought in blades with different shapes? Like, a broader, or flatter blade, or thicker or thinner, flat or broad. Who knows what light sabers looked like five thousand years before the current story.

But these six are the ORIGINAL darths, the founders of the tradition, if you will. Darth Vader is only a new version of this old tradition.

Also, each one?s killing style is different when using the force. While Vader uses force grip to choke, maybe one of these guys uses his force ability to cause his victims blood to boil, while another uses his to force his victim?s organs to be forced up through his throat, to be vommited onto the floor. The only criteria is that these six darths enjoy watching their victims suffer.

Grand Moff Tarkin had one Vader to do his bidding. The new Grand Moff has six!

Part two of the synopsis soon.

2. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Okay, so let's get this thing started.

I've asked the Alpha folks if we could use their Yahoo group to coordinate our efforts, make lists and post pictures. Are you a member of their group?

If they don't want that, then I'll use one of my existing groups. But again, I'd prefer not to double the effort that has already been exerted.

So, COME PEOPLE, I need your cooperation. First order of business is to count heads. How many people do we have who want to do this?

With JediFarfy's consent, please give your information to here.

We're going to count January as the deadline to start shooting, so we have that much time to do the bulk of preparations, including any costumes that need to be finished, although, I think it very likely that enough costumes already exist that it might just be doubling effort.

If anybody needs any help on anything, then we can plan workshops and work parties. Some of you do this already, so I may even join one already in progress.

But I know a few tricks that may help you work faster and access to some limited materials.

Till the dawning of the sun,

Nik
  3. Maco_Star Jedi Knight

star 2
    I mean no malice but the following comment. After reading the basis of the script I would have to back away from this project. Creativly and artistically I feel it lacks originality. The main idea I cannot ignore is the basis of changing the ENTIRE Star Wars Galaxy to fit your ideas.

Yes we do know, and have seen, the Jedi, Republic, and Sith from five thousand years before the Battle of Yavin. There are many books that discribe and graphic novels that illustrate the origins of the republic, jedi and sith religions. If you would like help on the script to keep it inline with the Star Wars galaxy. The number one thing that is lacking is the pure essence of Star Wars. Like I said earlier I mean no harm by this and I would like to speek more with you maybe at a meeting, but like you said you're trying to make the best fanfilm to date. With that being said I'm eager to work on a fanfilm but I do not feel that tarnishing the Star Wars ideals would be the way I want to begin.
  4. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Maco_Star,

These ideas are not carved in stone. And I am the first person who will quickly correct anything in this story that is contradictory to what is "cannon" in the Star Wars universe. I abhor inconsistencies in my sci-fi too. And just so you know, I really don't feel the need to alter what is cannon by the slightest scintilla.

But please do not assume that I am: ?changing the ENTIRE Star Wars Galaxy to fit your ideas.? Please, be me for a moment and reverse this for me and ask yourself how you might feel if somebody said exactly the same thing to you. I would like to become your friend because you are a thoughtful man.

But how should I react to this?

Well, I think you mean well and apparently I need some help on my SW history.

Friends have got to know how best to work with each other, especially on something like this.

Yes, if what you thought was true, the most honorable thing to do would be to have backed out before it picks up steam.

Very Jedi of you!

And yes I would like to have a ?consultant? to help catch me when I write something astray as I apparently have.

I have not kept up with the comic books; not since Luke became a dark Jedi and fought the clone of the Emperor.

I pulled that history of the six Darths right out of my ass. And I?m not married to it. I don?t care where they came from as long as they have a BACK-STORY, because I find that if every character has a strong back-story, that only gives the actors more believable material to work with to convince the audience with.

Can you imagine what it might have been like if you had got deep into this production, always knowing these details were wrong, gnawing at you day after day and night after night for months, seething with, uh gingivitis!

Did he really just write gingivitis?

I?m sorry, I don?t got nuthin!

So, yeah, it?s all about having the back story, and not what's in the back story. It?s one of the few things we are doing that most other fan films don't.

Every distinction will set ours apart.

I do kind of like the idea of some slight variation in blade thickness or roundness though, unless that too is considered cannon.

The only idea here is just looking for another distinction, a new wrinkle, another take on an old idea. It?s one of the things that made the original Star Wars so phenomenally popular and why you and I are talking right now.

It all comes around friend.

So, if you join with me in finding even the smallest ways of setting this fan film apart from the others, please chime in.

This thing belongs to all of us. And I?ve always really only wanted to ?play? in the Star wars universe. So much so, that I?d even be willing to be a womprat!

And, no, for the last time, it?s not a self esteem thing!

You realize of course what being the chief story consultant entails, right, should you accept the assignment?

I?ll need to see the source material for every point. In fact, I wouldn?t mind at all if I could actually read a comic or three that have key, story arc episodes that lay out this early history.

I?ve always been fascinated by that particular history, even more so than episodes one through three.

The other thing this means is that you will be the first person who sees the script. Because I am NOT going to pass this around the SW fan community with glaring errors like that one!

Can you imagine the ensuing riot?

No way, Jose!

It doesn?t need to be just you, though, it would be better if just one person helps with the history, because, God forbid you would actually disagree with one of the other consultants you brought in to help.

So, would you like to be the first person in line to read the script?

Because I need an expert.
  5. Maco_Star Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ok, that clears up alot for me. My understanding was that your script was done, and that you needed help making the film...my mistake. I am more than willing to help with the consultant aspect, and the art, as I do want to learn cgi and animation. I am no expert but I do have an elaborate collection of graphic novels and games of that era. The main source you could use to your benefit would be a book, Star Wars: The New Essential Chronology. It begins with the building of the republic. I would be willing to help as long as we stay along the lines of Star Wars.
  6. Rishadq Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm glad you guys cleared that up! I'm pretty clueless about the whole KOTOR stuff myself, I need to catch up on my reading. Maybe participating in this movie will help me get edumacated :) I'm still mulling over my level of involvement, as to be honest, I don't have a lot to bring to the table. I've done some small scale model making work, I can write fairly well (so I'm told), and I can possibly help out in other logistical non-talent related matters (ummm ... I guess in fancy movie talk that's called a "gopher").

I think our next step should definitely be a 1-1 meeting, so keep us in the loop on that.

Good luck!

Q

7. DetShogan Jedi Knight

star 3
    There's always a place for everyone if they want to participate in something. movies + model making have gone hand in hand for decades (infact models look move convincing at times compared to CGI).
  8. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Maco-Star wrote: "My understanding was that your script was done..."

Yes, however, a first draft doesn't mean much if it has glaring errors.

When I write a story idea, I write purely from the gut the first time and virtually just throw down everything in my head down onto the page. But, whatever story erupts from there is dependent upon what knowledge I have in my head at the time. I don't worry about the inconsistencies until it becomes an issue.

And most of my story ideas aren't dependent on a universe created by someone else, i.e., George Lucas.

No idea in any script is really set in stone because new ideas or better versions of ideas occur all the time. Plus, with the SW fan community participating, I think it's a good idea to leave things open ended, especially if one or more of you have ideas for your characters (if anybody does come forward with decent acting skill) that isn't quite like what I wrote. To me, collaboration means being open to others creative ideas. But, in order to keep the virtual flood of potentially conflicting ideas, which could stall the re-write process, new ideas will only be heard during writing meetings where we can make notes and write in the best ideas.

Or, anybody with ideas could meet with Maco-Star, who, as chief consultant could take down your suggestions.

By the way, thank you Q-Rishad for making the announcement on the Meetup list. Now I am doubly commited to making the next meeting.

EEK!

If they are free, I'll bring along two of my best people to help with the discussion.

JediFarfy, where'd you go?

Maybe it's time some of us start chatting by phone; write my email address with your number if you'd like to have chats that way.

Now, we need more organizers. Volunteers? It's mostly list making time right now so it shouldn't be too taxing.

I have created a Yahoo group where we can organize the lists. This will also let us all know just how many people are serious about taking part in this. I will also want to see photos of whatever cotumes, props and any SW related what nots that people have created for their inclusion in the film.

This will help me determine where things will appear in the script. Something as simple as a droid added to a previously written scene will up the production values; another aspect of setting this production apart from others.

I would also like to request that you all acct as active recruiters, because there are still a lot of resources we need to pull this off and make it a believable part of the SW universe. If anybody knows who has created something cool that you think ought to be included in the film, then bring them into this.

Also, we will need artists to create a logo and banners for our new group. The photo of the 501st on the group is purely temporary. Since many of them are involved, I thought it would be approapriate for the time being. And this will be the group image until something better comes along.

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/StarWars-TheEyeOfDarkness

See you there!
  9. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Maco-Star,

So where should I send the script to? Or does the forum based email service allow attachments?

Also, I am going to be doing a re-write as I send it to you, so you won't get it all at once, but probably ten page sections.

If you were part of an industry writing team, this would be normal.

Once you have the full script, and have made sure that it all matches up with "cannon", then we'll distribute it to all the others.

This could take a number of weeks and up to a month, depending on my availability to do the re-write.

Namaste!
  10. DetShogan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I would be happy to lend my art/drawing skills if you'd be interested.
  11. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Why yes, that would be marvelous!

Conceptual art and storyboards would be neat.

Have you ever done storyboards?

Thing is, I don't even know what the bounty hunters ship is going to look like. And as much as I like the design of the Corellian freighter, but I don't want a clone of the Millenium Falcon. Of course there is the YT-2400, but, that is not as appealing.

My real temptation is to have a Corellian freighter with the cockpit on the opposite side, a cockpit of a different shape, the area between the two mandibles filled in and what appears to be a large cylindrical cargo pod attached to the side opposite of the cockpit, but in truth is a very big weapon.

I'm open to ideas.

The interior, while having some "common" looking areas, is already quite different.

Have I mentioned that we have already started construction on that set?

This next is a question for everybody. Perhaps you have some odd looking containers about. Large plastic barrels the size of an oil drum, for example. Interesting looking crates. Equally interesting looking plastic loading pallets and that sort of thing.

These might be objects that you take for granted and might not think of them as Star Wars-ish looking items at first glance. But in a different context, with alien script stenciled onto the side of them, they can become alien cargo containers.

I really simple kind of set dressing.

Anyway, must now sleep. Worked too hard clearing out the basement of crap.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ
  12. DetShogan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Let me see about getting together with Maco_star and see if we can come up with some concepts for a sweet ride for your Bountyhunter
    as for plastic barrels, we sell rain barrels(plastic) at McLendons Hardware where I work.
  13. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Did I happen to mention that my house is available for prop, costuming workshops and "meetups"?

Likewise, our workshop is also open and people may use limited, approved materials to make their stuff.

We have every tool you might need, including two dremels with every possible attachment, 4 hot glue guns, a frill press for those big metal working applications, an airbrush, the usual set of power saws, drills and other things useful tools I can't think of at the moment.

DetShogan, a couple things to keep in mind about the design of our bounty hunter ship; the exterior of the cockpit must match the interori already under construction. I will be posting the first photos today, hopefully. And while it is unfinished, it will be easy for you to see how the exterior shell will fit around what we've got already.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd like it to be based around the corellian freighter.

But I'll keep an open mind, maybe you'll surprise me. Let's use the Goerge Lucas method of having you create 3 basic designs with the rough ideas I've already given you. Add to that, that the navigation dish could also be of a different shape and mounted on one of the sides or underneath the ship. The idea is to make it somewhat recognizable and yet, even more heavily modified than Han's version.

When you guys come over to see the interior sets, you're going to believe that we can really fly it.

Really!

We're going to have a "ship christening" when it's done.

It'll be a blast!
  14. Rishadq Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey guys,

I've got a garage full of those white opaque somewhat futuristic Ikea storage boxes which I added roller wheels to.

[image=http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/00404_PE057536_S4.jpg]

Just imagine a stack of these with lids and little white rollers underneath. I can send a pic if needed.

- Q

15. Maco_Star Jedi Knight

star 2
    DANG... I'm really getting excited. It seems that my plans for wed. fell through so I'm actually free in the after noon. I think paul wanted to go to an art store in bellevue but after that I'll be free.
  16. Nik420 Jedi Knight

We have music!

And while you all probably imagined that we'd just use John William's score from any or all of the six existing films, I have been thinking that I want the music to give this film it's own voice and character. And I have discovered some recordings which will give us exactly that. In addition, we also have a film composer, a REAL composer who's life is dedicated to motion picture scores to fill in any gaps.

Sound effects are also taken care of, as we will want to be using all the sounds that we have come to associate with the SW universe. One of our people is quite profficient at creating and/or acquiring the right sounds; he will do us proud!

He is sure to be one of the people you meet at either the Meetup, the ship christening or both.

Rishad, yes, I would love to see an image of the white opaque storage boxes.

So, Maco_Star, is the fact that you are free tomorrow an offer to come over and help with set building, or...?

No worries, as we will be hammering and sawing either way.

BTW, go to the group and become a member if you want to see Mel Savidge's blaster pistol. I designed and built it myself.

In addition to the bounty hunter's freighter ship, we plan to have one, extra big star destroyer. The one very big difference in this one, the first of it's kind, is that it uses the same technology for the super lazer cannon once mounted in the Death Star. So, from the side it may appear very similar to Vader's command ship from Empire, but from the front, you see the massive maw of the weapon, which runs the entire length of the vessel.

Let me know if you want to come over and I give you directions.
  17. DetShogan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Been thinkin', I regretfully will have to pull out of designing the Bounty Hunter Ship Exterior. I realized that I have already got too much (Art) on my plate, and my first priority is Emerald Squadron and the comic/artwork I'm doing. I would love to help in any way possible (need a fleet trooper, got the costume!) but I need to keep my drawing focused on ES. By all mean you need a hand with something, an extra, or whatever I am up for it as long as it doesn't interfere with ES or AB stuff!.

-Paul
  18. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Hey DetShogan,

What do you have other than the fleet trooper costume?

Naturally, it's got to have a gun of some kind, yes?

In fact, tell me all the costumes you have, even non-Star Wars.
  19. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Hey!

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/StarWars-TheEyeOfDarkness

I have posted photos of the freighter cockpit under construction.

Please go have a look if you want to see the quality effort being put into this.

We've also created a "shield generator", which will be located near the engineering section in our ship. Photos coming soon.

20. JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus

star 6
    I have talked to some fanforce members and while we thank you for stopping by and inviting us into your project, we aren't really all that interested. If individual memebers would like to particpate, they are welcome, but Emerald Squadron as a whole doesn't seem interested in endorsing or participating in your project.

Good luck with this though. :)
  21. DetShogan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sorry,

I read the Garrison Titan boards (yes even threads you can't see) and after what I read and heard about, I will no long offer any help. Emerald Squadron, Alpha Base, and Garrison Titan are my Star Wars family/friends you upset any one of them and I'm out. And you did.

-Paul "Det Shogan" C.
  22. Nik420 Jedi Knight

Great!

Of course, Garrison Titan doesn't care who they upset and feel perfectly justified in their deplorable behavior. Bu they wine and complain when they meet someone who asks them real questions and challenge them beyond their safe little world.

And technically, I'm as much "family" as they are, because at my core I'm not that much different. You reject me and what I am doing and you reject yourself, all because you do not want to lose favor in their eyes.

But I think your mistake is that you are allowing yourself to be polaraized and in so doing, justifying their immaturity.

Poor things got upset because I disagreed with them and didn't become their obediant lap dog.

I think your reasoning for dropping out is sad, especailly since you did so on so little real information and without checking out the incredible work we've already done.

Just so you learn your lesson on this, I wish for you to experience the exact same kind of alienation, from people who think they are better than you, and very soon.

Because it's the only way you will know how hurtful those people are and how you have been suckered into their game.

And, when all is said and done, all of you who feel the same as DtShogan will soon realize how wrong you were and be kicking yourselves in the butts because of the eventual success of this fan film. You'll wish you hadn't "sided" with anybody but had found the inner strength to go your own way. Yes, deep regrets await for those who are too easily swayed by sweeping emotions based on offenses from so little provocation.

I wish the monkeys on this planet would act more mature and adult, but I'm fooling myself.

Oh well.

Don't bother responding to me here; I'm not coming back.

The thing you don't realize at this point is, that there are still plenty of willing participants elsewhere and we have no need of you anyway.

Those few who are not easily swayed by a few malcontents are still invited to come along for the ride.

23. JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus

star 6
    With all do respect, I never said I felt 'better' then you or that I that I feel your project is stupid or anything in that regard. We are not just a fanfilm group; we have other priorities and interests, especially since we are pretty new to this fanclub thing and in the end, from what I have heard from ES members, they just aren't interested. Individual members are still invited to join, but as a group we didn't want to participate. It was not a jab at you or your idea.

And though you are never coming back, apparently, I still wish you luck.
  24. DetShogan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I owe an apology. I am sorry I posted my comment on this board instead of via PM. Thats it. Good luck with your film.

-Paul
  25. Nik420 Jedi Knight

None of my comments we're directed at you, JediYvette.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.