main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another DVD release

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TwiLekJedi, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007

Can't you go to jail for this??

You guys have issues. If you don't like the Star Wars movies (in any way or form), move on!

Don't change something YOU didn't MAKE.

That's why there are FAN FILMS.

Wow, I can't believe you guys did that.

Sorry, it's just I think the movies are more than fine, I love'm all. I trust Lucas, if he wants to add or fix any special effects in the future that's his business.

Sure Luke is wielding a green lightsaber aboard the Falcon, but I'm so immersed in the story, characters, and world that when I see that green saber I quickly let it go. In fact it's kind of fun seeing Luke holding a green saber in ANH, I think it's cool. If Lucas leaves the scene the way it is I'm so past the first time I saw it (a green lightsaber!) that I'm lost in the story once again.

Have fun (watching star wars), don't go around changing something you don't like. Especially if it isn't yours. :rolleyes:

2. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    No Message

3. IDigMetalBikinis

IDigMetalBikinis Jedi Master star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    Obi-Rob,

I am in 100 % agreement with you regarding the clarity of the image...Lowry did an exceptional job with that. I'm speaking of the original colors that were badly mangled in the new color-timing of the master print, which is ten different kinds of screwed up.

When you speak of "the painfully dull, low grade picture quality of the OT", I can only assume you are speaking of previous home video versions, not actual 35mm and 70mm prints of the OT(which are inherently higher in resolution and clarity than DVD could ever hope to be).

So, agreed, the image clarity is certainly upgraded from what was previously available on VHS and Laserdisc. However, the tradeoff is red lightsabers and red ship engines that are now hot pink, steel walls that are the color of blueberry jam, and white clothing, costumes and sets that look like they might benefit from some Tide with bleach.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As the SW.com announcement says, there apparently isn't anything new to gain from buying these new DVD sets if you already have previous versions... but I would buy an empty box for the PT discs I have, or an empty box for all 6 movies as well (I don't think the Clone Wars movie belongs packaged together with the other 6... it should be packaged together with the eventual releases of the Clone Wars TV episodes).

As far as possible changes... I would like to see the CGI Yoda replace the puppet from TPM. I never liked the look of that puppet, and the CGI Yoda from AOTC and ROTS looks much closer to the original puppet from the OT.

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I would love to see a CGI Yoda in TPM. But keep him the puppet in ESB and ROTJ, just cause it's classic. Plus I love puppet Yoda's crazy eyes.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, definitely keep him as a puppet in ESB and ROTJ. As I said, part of the reason I like the CGI version better than the TPM puppet was because it looks much closer to the original puppet from the OT.

7. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    I personally don't care for CGI Yoda in AOTC & ROTS. There is very little resemblence between ESB and ROTJ with the CGI of AOTC and ROTS to my mind. TPM Yoda, on the other hand, I liked the one that was featured in the ROTS DVD Features. He looked closer to ESB and ROTJ then the AOTC and ROTS. Did they even bother to scan a Maquette, like Wato and Dexter? I would not buy any future releases, I don't think, on DVD. Maybe, just maybe, a Blu-Ray when I get a TRUE home theater with a projector, 3M screen, soundproofing, and really comfortable seats. I can dream, right. Blu-Ray, IMHO, does not matter if one lives in an apartment with neighbors. If I owned a house, and could build a proper theater. Then it would be another story. I almost died when I read an article a few years ago about this guy who built a theater out of a bedroom in a 3 bedroom apartment. He took in the walls and raised the floors. Put in all the equiptment and materials for soundproofing it. A dedicated Air Conditioning System for the equipment room. It was awesome.

8. Endor_Commando

Endor_Commando Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007
    I had a look at these releases in the shop today.
    The sticker on the box says 'With exclusive deleted scenes' ??
    Didn't Lucasfilm tell us there was nothing in the sets we didn't already have ?

HMV in the U.K have a different box for this release featuring Luke on a white background.

What's the word on the so called 'exclusive' deleted scenes ?

9. Endor_Commando

Mar 15, 2007

........Yes,we in the good ol' U.K have the sets out now.
    Cannot find any info anywhere as regards these 'extras'.

10. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I think it's cool that they are releasing them but I am waiting for the Blu-ray box set, right now I have the full screen star wars dvd's but when i started collecting the Star Wars DVD's I did not know the diffrence between full screen and wide screen so I will hopefully be able to buy the blu-ray box set which will be in widescreen.

11. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Something I noticed with all of my Star Wars DVDs is that the DVD-ROM features are completely dead! The page for them, http://www.starwars.com/dvd/ has gone missing since the site update. They had better bring back this page in time for the rererelase of the DVDs, or that's false advertising of features that don't exist! >:^(

And here I am with a brand new computer ready to access features I once couldn't utilize, and the links are dead. Phht.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Same thing happened to me. I was looking forward to depth commentaries...

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    So if they are out in the UK than can anyone tell us if there is any changes/improvements?

...please say they fixed the lightsaber colors in the OT[face_praying][face_praying][face_praying]

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I looked on the HMV website and it doesn't seem to advertise any special features or deleted scenes. Are you sure the store where you saw the stickered DVDs wasn't just pulling something sketchy and referring to deleted scenes that were already on previous releases?

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I have bad news for you.

16. Endor_Commando

Mar 15, 2007
    Both Zavvi and HMV shops have the releases with the 'Exclusive deleted scenes' sticker on them.
    I still cannot find any info on this.

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    If someone would actually, I don't know, buy the things and pop 'em in the player, we could end this discussion!

18. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Exactly! Can anyone here who has them just tell us what the differences are, if any???

Are the individual box's for the movies different?

19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Assuming someone was actually suckered into buying them. I certainly wasn't.

20. Endor_Commando

Mar 15, 2007
    The dvds in the HMV store today now have the 'Exclusive Deleted Scenes' sticker removed.
    Now just a sticker stating that the set includes the theatrical versions.

21. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Is there anyone on this site that bought them and can say if there is ANYTHING at all different about them? The box covers, little minute details, anything???[face_praying]

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    I'm just assuming, but I'm pretty sure these releases are just spiffy new boxes. This is the first official PT collection release, so George probably thought he could squeeze in a new OT collection.

I'm guessing they're all just the single cases we already have. Nothing special. If there was anything remotely new, there would be commercials and better advertising. Lucas knows he can sucker fans into buying stuff if theres a new special feature, some deleted scenes, a new documentary. So if there were new features, believe me, we would know by now.

23. MortenTrailerGuy

MortenTrailerGuy Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2008
    I saw the new boxes at my local DVD store this weekend. They looked nice, but since there are no new features, I´d have to find myself hard pressed to cash out my hard earned money to Georgie and Lucasfilm yet again.

I was hoping Phantom Menace would get a new transfer, seeings as it wasnt shot in digital and looked quite grainy when the dvd was released. That, and of course the inclusion of the newly CGI animated Yoda.

But I guess we´ll have to wait for the Blu Rays...

24. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I spotted the boxes at my local Target store (put out a few days early). I didn't buy them, but first thing that caught my eye: SLIM CASES! Just like the cheapo Indiana Jones Adventure Boxed set. Meaning no inserts and no fancy spines. The box was only an inch wide. :( Unless the updates TPM is in it, I'll pass and get the "Limited Edition" 4-6 DVDs.

25. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    stop it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.