main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another football pundit sacked

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by halibut, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Rodney Marsh of Sky Sports has been sacked for saying that Devid Beckham wouldn't move to Newcastle because of the devestation caused by the Toon Army (Tsunami)

A fair sacking? Or is it PC gone too far?

Personally, an apology and a large donation to the Tsunami appeal fund should be enough to appease the PC Brigade. I don't think his comments were worthy of anything. Of course it's fine for all the papers to repeat the incident in full with no repurcussions

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    IMO, PC gone too far.

Not to mention, a pretty weak joke compared to some that I've heard.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Okay, I really like Rodney Marsh as a pundit. He isn't always right... but his 'set toos' with Jeff Stelling are always entertaining. He does have a tendancy to be outspoken, and put his foot in it though. I didn't see the comment, but I think the best course of action would've been to suspend him for a long period of time and a large fine to go to the Tsunami fund. Now that all sounds very good in principle, and Sky themselves would probably of preferred to do that. Thing is Sky had no choice. Big Ron and ITV set a precedent. Thing is it's not just PC gone too far, it's just he made the comment too close to the disaster. In six months he probably would got away with it. So Sky, I bet, will have him back in a year or so. An apology wouldn't have worked, because it would be too 'embarassing' almost to have him back immediately.

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I think there's a HUGE difference between this and Big Ron. Ron insulted a player racially. People can be arrested for this. His comments were derogatory. Rodney's comments weren't intended to insult the people of Asia, and I they didn't (although if I was compared to a Newcastle supporter, I'd be pretty peeved!)

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    It's pretty poor taste, which is why he's in trouble. Saying that though, it's nothing worse than you'd hear in a stand-up routine from Jim Davison.

I think it's because when Marsh was speaking he was representing Sky, so if they didn't act then it would almost be as if they condoned what he said.

I agree with Hal, that a nice personal donation from Marsh, and an apology would be the best way to go.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ahh, and you make my point!

I've heard Jonathan Ross make "jokes" about the Tsunami on Radio 2. Thusly aren't the BBC condoning him??

It's the same with all disasters. 9/11 had broadcast jokes soon after with no repercussions. It's how people deal with it.

Ron wasn't making a joke. Rod was. Ok, it wasn't very good or funny. But no harm was done

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I wasn't equating what Ron said to what Rodney said. Just saying that Ron set a precedent for touchy comments, and so I expect Sky felt somewhat obliged to dish out a similar punishment for fear of condemnation.

8. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    not fair at all.

There was no harm done

9. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I can't stand Rodney Marsh but he shouldn't have been sacked.

10. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I think it's just a little bit too far.

11. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    PC gone mad. But I hate Marshy so I'll shed no tears for him!

12. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    I agree with everything Halibut's said and think that even if Sky decided it was a bad thing to say surely anyone deserves at least one warning?

Who are they trying to kid,anyway? Most people (me included) think there's a good chance of them letting him back on after a few months,so his "sacking" is just a PR exercise.And this from the channel that continues to employ (admittedly on rare occasions lately) George Best (who by abusing his donated liver has caused harm by denying the organ to someone who would've looked after it.

13. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    It's nothing to do with Political Correctness, he made a remark in incredibly bad taste in the wrong arena, serves him right.

Besides, one more pundit down, if we get a move on we can start with the players-then the game on the whole!

14. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    Now that[i/] I'll drink too!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.