main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another possible choice for Anakin.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rubberdirky, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Boy I will get flack for this, but I have to say it.

I was watching "The Butterfly Effect" last night and realized something that I can't shake. I could easily see Ashton Kutcher playing Anakin over HC any day of the week. Yes, I know he's a pretty boy, yes I know the popularity thing, but I have been racking my brain for a long time trying to think of people who would have been better. And though many would have been BETTER, few would have fit the role, in my opinion. It is very hard to see past Kelso, and this movie made me realize it. I'm not saying he is the best actor in the world, but when compared to HC, you don't need to be.

Any thoughts, other possibilities, or do you all just want to blast me and get it over with?

2. darth_ral

darth_ral Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    ashton is very good in butterfly effect, but.......star wars...........[face_worried]

.....runs and takes cover.......[face_hypnotized]

3. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    Well other then his apperance isn't close to Mark Hamil and the Kelso thing as mentioned. Don't get me wrong I loved The Butterfly Effect and felt that he wasn't praised enough for the great ability he had to pull off serious roles I just think few other actors could pull of that. "I'm so far removed or void of any feelings" Hayden can pull off and I think that is vital to playing that part and why Lucas picked him.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I think Lucas made the perfect choice.

It's really hard to think of anyone that would come close to matching Hayden in looks (he really DOES look a lot like a young Mark Hamill) and presence.

5. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    anakin was angry 99% of the time and hayden plays great the " angry " parts.i think it was a very good choice.

6. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Ryan Gosling.

Anyone other than HC.

7. Rubberdirky

Jan 14, 2005
    I'm with Fat Bird.

Having a degree in theatre, acting, and directing, I would never cast someone simply because of looks. What does looks matter if one cannot act, or pull off a convincing roll.

I am especially serious about this particular role. HC might have been ok as a background Jedi, or an extra....but we are talking about the Lord Darth Vader. The cream of the crop biggest, best, and darkest Villain of all time. And you put HC in there (shutters in shear nausia). Wow, one wonders if HC had blackmail material on GL, something bad.

I think my shoe would have been a better Anakin, or my keys. Heck, the Lego Anakin wasn't bad either, in comparison that is!

8. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I don't particularly think his acting is 'wooden'. Believe me I did after seeing AOTC the first time... er 20 times, anyway then I realized that he is very monotone. GL's acting instructions aside. Think about it, if HC were all bubbly and what-not it would not have been a very realistic precursor to JEJ's calm, cool and monotone delivery of DV's lines (ANH aside). Listen to HC's delivery of lines and imagine JEJ saying them. HC really did do a good job. IMO.

9. Rubberdirky

Jan 14, 2005
    My personal problem wasn't his voice either, I think I just didn't see any subtext, which to me is more important than delivery. He didn't make me believe he had feelings for Padme, (and you know, she didn't reciprocate feelings either), I didn't see (believeable) internal conflict, not counting glycerine tears. You know, another bad Villain was young Harold Ozbourne from Spiderman, (Eeeeuccckk!!). Monotone is ok, (Dr. Hanibal Lector), it is in the subtext....for me anyway. I am extremely envious of you fans who dig HC. I wish I could see past my own predjudices against him, and a few other problems. I would love to watch these scenes and just think of the story. In time maybe.

10. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    What about the one from Star Trek:Nemisis. Tom Hardy who played Praetor Shinzon. I saw bits of Anakin in him.

11. Circle_Is_Complete

May 20, 2005
    That is one thing I WILL agree with. I feel he and Natalie Portman didn't have good chemistry.

12. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I think Kutcher would be an awesome Han Solo. Not so much an Anakin.

13. Circle_Is_Complete

May 20, 2005
    He can yell BURN! right after he shoots the Tie and causes Vader to spin out.

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    You realize that Ewan was chosen for the part of Obi-wan simply because he looks like Alec Guiness, right? I have no problem with Hayden as Anakin and think he did a good job.

15. Rubberdirky

Jan 14, 2005
    No,
    Ewam was not cast simply because of looks.
    First, he was brought before an audition because he was a brilliant actor. Looks, was a distant second. Otherwise, he would not have been the only one. It is easy to cast a look alike, I've done it many times.

16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Since you've revealed your true intentions, yes, you're gonna get flack now...

To insinuate that Hayden Christensen was cast merely on his looks is ridiculous (not that you personally did so - but you clearly hate the performance...). While his looks were an important factor - as they are whenever casting such a visible and iconic part - Lucas chose him for his smoldering James Dean quality and ability to convey the proper authority and screen presence of a troubled young Jedi. His line deliveries, while often monotonous, are heavily stylised and done to fit into a larger framework. Christensen lets his eyes do most of his acting; you could have the films on silent or be unfamiliar with English and still get a good impression of Anakin's inner turmoil from the looks that Christensen casts. Moreoever, his confession scene in Attack of the Clones arguably ranks as one of the finest pieces of acting in the entire saga. Returning to the eyes, I was personally struck by how such a simple motioning of his eyes in the much-maligned fireplace scene suggested so much. Ditto for his contemplative expressions - in a scene that otherwise belongs to Ian McDiarmid - in Revenge of the Sith's opera scene. We clearly see things very differently: this guy has acting chops and brought them to Star Wars.

17. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Ewan is a highly respected actor. There's no way he was cast just because of his looks. Let's not forget that unlike HC, he actually nailed his character in the PT. So much that a lot of people now consider him to be Obi-Wan and not Alec. HC was terribly miscast and it didn't help that Anakin wasn't written very well. He was supposed to be the "tragic" hero. He was supposed to be the character everyone would care about. We were all supposed to feel bad when he turned. Instead, a lot of us found him whiny and childish. We didn't buy him as a guy who would turn inot Vader. Perhaps another actor could have accomplished more. Good actors can rise above the material. HC couldn't.

18. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree entirely. Both Hayden and Natalie did a terrible job in their roles, while Ewan was right on the mark.

19. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    ^ I still think that the problem was not that Hayden was miscast, it's that people are still misinterpreting who Anakin is. GL pretty much summed it up when he said "Poor Hayden, he was great. They just didn't like the character." BTW, I agree Cryogenic, his confession scene in AOTC was superbly well done, that was the scene where I believe I truly came to understand Anakin.

As for Ashton Kutcher, after watching Butterfly Effect I found myself very surprised. He did in fact show some genuine acting chops and I actually found myself able to take him seriously as an actor. However, I personally think that he would have been miscast as Anakin. If nothing else he just would have seemed out of place.

20. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I can agree that Anakin's character in itself is very whiny, but I'm sure a better actor could've delivered that in a more appropriate way. ;)

21. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Hayden is good most of the time, though he occassionally slips, just like Hamill. :)

22. Zombi_2_1979

Zombi_2_1979 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2005
    Jake Lloyd - "meh"=ness

Hayden Christensen (EPII) - Sniveling scrawny disco boy from a galaxy far, far away... (sorry couldn't help myself)

Hayden Christensen (EPIII) - dark, brooding, and deliciously complex. The long untidy bangs, the scar, the knitted brow, the tight-lipped or a wicked switchblade smile. Finally the role matured enough for the actor's underrated talents.

Hayden beat the stuffing out of Kelso.

23. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    ugh! I can't stand Ashton Kutcher.
    I like HC's voice and acting. I saw AOTC the second day it was out without reading a review or being spoiled and i never thought he was wooden.
    When i watch the OT now i see him as vader and luke reminds me alot of him, not just in looks but the way he acts, moves his eyes ect.

24. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    I don't understand what Lucas is getting at here. Was Anakin meant to be unlikeable? Were we expected to sympathise with him, and feel the tragedy of his fall, without actually liking the guy?

Conversely, I always found that Hamill managed to make Luke likeable - even in his more "whiny" moments. If what Lucas is saying is true, then it wouldn't have mattered who played Anakin. They would have faced the same basic problem: that Anakin was written as a selfish, arrogant jerk who the audience find it extremely hard to care about.

25. Zombi_2_1979

Zombi_2_1979 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2005
    Ashton Kutchner is a joke people, my friend stated Cameron Crowe actually fired his butt "told Kutchner to get lost, hit the highway Jack" because he couldn't create any of the emotions or energy required for the scenes, not even if a bonfire was lit beneath his arse.

Lucas has a talent for finding aspiring actors or new talent for his Star Wars saga. Hayden Christensen wasn't too bad in Episode II though he wasn't an intimidating figure. He looked more like the friendly geek that dated your sister (or daughter depending on perspectives) at the prom with hair full of gel. Sorry HC. And the fact he had some really rank lines of dialogue to deal with.

Flashforward to Episode III, he is Anakin/Vader all-over. The expressions he gives Obi-Wan on Mustafar. Especially when the Master Jedi is attempting to reason with him while on the energy shield protected floating platforms/droids are so satisfying. The dialogue is so much improved. Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid bore the whole PT saga performance wise, but Hayden Christensen undeniably is up to the challenge in RotS by honestly upstaging both of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.