main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another possible choice for Anakin.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rubberdirky, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I have unlocked this and up'd it for discussion of Leonardo DiCaprio as Anakin.

2. TheTatooineRexTrader

TheTatooineRexTrader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2006
    Ashton Kutcher wouldnt do the love scenes. He's just not very good at that. I think Mark Wahlberg might have been good. Or, as Strilo said, DiCaprio. But i dont think DiCaprio has the ability to be Darth Vader.

3. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I agree with this. Franco is the ONLY other actor I could even picture as Anakin. However, I think Hayden was fantastic, and wouldn't choose anyone else.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think that given the character of Anakin as Lucas wrote him for the Prequels that Hayden did a fine job especially given the awkwardness of some of the lines. I can see that Lucas definitely chose Hayden with the fact that he'd be playing Vader in mind given that well, he's said so and that in RotS as Vader is where he's at his best to me.

However if we were going to recast him purely for someone else who could play the Anakin part, I could see James Franco doing it (that may partially be with the fact that some of my family thought "Anakin" was playing Harry in Spider-Man however). They're also around the same age which would probably be important in casting.

If however I was being told to recast the role of Anakin I'd have chosen someone who looks more like Mark or Carrie.

5. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Think seriously about this, aside from Hayden -- best villian in '05 I might add -- I can only picture Jake Gyllenhaal in the Anakin role.

Jake is 25 or 26, perfect age-wise for the PT. He is talented and multi-faceted, able to cover a range of emotions.

6. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    And now, the HC critics begin truly reaching... walks off chuckling

7. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    AotC was the first Star Wars film I watched to the end. I couldn't stand A New Hope and the looooooong trek across Tatooine. And when Ben Kenobi died, I just thought 'textbook formula' and switched off. (Hearing that he 'resurrected' Gandalf-style in ESB didn't impress me much).

I was completely unspoiled for AotC the summer it came out, and I only rented it because of my little cousins and Sam L Jackson. And I fell in love. With the story. With the romance. With the whole concept of Star Wars.

I know we're all entitled to our individual opinions/preferences, and that's heavily influenced by old SW fan vs. new SW fan. I didn't have to wait 2 decades for the prequels, dreaming up my own idea of how they would be. Still.... When people say things like how AotC sucked, or Hayden's acting was wooden or he and Natalie had no chemistry, I'm always like - 'huh?' Did we all watch the same movie??? :confused: :(

edit: How appropriate that this mini-rant/mini-fandom bio should be my 2,500th post! :D

8. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    this notion that anyone who liked the OT and cricizes the PT at all only does so because of preconceived notions is beyond old and largely innacurate.

some of us criticize the story or lack there of, and my biggest complaint is that the PT movies were far too short for the story they were trying to tell.

it must be comforting to the PT fans to tell themselves that's the reason for the criticism, too bad it isn't close to true.

It's every bit as lame as an OT fan saying the only reason the PT is popular is because of it's special effects, that's an unfair statement.

it would be nice if we would stop the sweeping generalisations that are often both grossly inaccurate and sickeningly disrespectful of other people's oppinions.

That cuts both ways, against OT and PT fans alike.

I don't have any trouble with Hayden, yes the delivery of some of the lines was bad, but the actual writing of the lines was the reason. I wouldn't replace him, i'd replace portman, but i have begun to realize i just don't like her acting in any film. she was as good or bad in the PT as anything else she has done, and i really don't like her, she had if possible a negative form of chemistry with hayden.

9. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Sorry, I didn't mean to generalize. I don't as a matter of fact. Most of the close friends I've made in fandom are people who were already in love with the OT, and fell even more in love with Star Wars because of the PT. A very good friend of mine, a fan fiction writer, put up an entertaining fandom bio in her fan fiction account, detailing how she fell in love with Star Wars in college, shifted her fascination from Ben Kenobi to Darth Vader in ESB after the Big Reveal; and twenty years later, after bringing up a particularly recalcitrant teenage son, completely empathized with Anakin Skywalker as portrayed by Hayden.

In fairness though, most of the PT-critics/SW-fans have to be OT-fans. It's simple logic that it has to be someone who's already a SW fan that would go out of his/her way to passionately cricize the new films. A "newcomer" who wasn't interested in the OT, and didn't like the PT won't be invested enough in the Star Wars mythology to care either which way.

Look at me, as a case in point. I don't care much for the Harry Potter books anymore. I'm a silent basher. You won't see me on any kind of HP Bashers Forum, but ask my opinion and give me a glass of wine, and I'll soliloquize ad nauseum about the diminishing merits of JK Rowling's work.

Why?

Because I adored the books when they were first published - right from the Philosopher's Stone before it became the marketing nightmare that it is now. I was (in my mind at any rate) the biggest HP fan in the galaxy. If I was never into the HP books, I not only won't care enough to criticize them - I won't know enough to criticize them. I won't have any high expectations against which to criticize them.

edit:
    :eek:

And that's enough ranting for one day. [face_blush]

10. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I'd absolutely hate to see Ashton as Anakin. He is horrible with his stupid ass grinn and I've come to hate him even more after watching his Punk'd show on MTV. The only movie that I like him in is Butterfly Effect.

I know this will result in a storm of Brokeback jokes, but how about Heath Ledger as Anakin. He is only 2 years older than Hayden and I think he is a good actor. We're soon going to see Heath in Batman Begins 2 as the Joker and that is gonna be interresting I think.

Or else James Franco.

11. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    I completely agree! :D The first thing I thought when I saw the trailer for 'Tristan & Iseult' was Hayden could have done that! They are physically similar actors and both have the Dean-type/smouldering/potential-to-go-Dark side acting range. Although Hayden owns the role of Anakin Skywalker, I think Franco would have made a good understody. :D

12. DarthRagnos

DarthRagnos Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2006

Are You serious for one HC is a great actor especially playing suck a out of it role and ashton is a great actor to but he would suck for that role.

13. dahingos

dahingos Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2006
    Hayden was the best...I mean come on, think of the alternatives...

Ashton Kutcher: He would spend all his time trying to put light sabers in various unmentionable bodily orifices...
    Eminem: Definately can play an agressive young man, but then there is "Yo, when I grow up, you bizzotches better watch it!!!" (then lights his saber, as he pulls up his pants)
    Leo: (standing on the bow of a Star Destroyer) "I'm the king of the galaxyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Fabio: "I can't believe it's not Butt...er...Sith!!!"

If they dyed their hair blond:

Keanu Reeves: (lights saber) "Woah..."
    David Duchovny: "Ok, so the aliens didn't abduct my sister...but they DID abduct my mom!"
    Bronson Pinchot: "Dooku is dead! Now we do the Myposian Dance of Joy! (Takes hold of Obi-Wan's arms, singing: di..di..di..di...didi...didididi..)"

14. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^^
    Hayden is indeed the best! The question is . . . . "Another possible choice . . . "

Jake Gyllenhaal -- can play dark & brooding as well as 'in love' and friendly. He would match up with the facial characteristics of little Ani (Jake Lloyd) better.

[image=http://www.poster.net/gyllenhaal-jake/gyllenhaal-jake-photo-xl-jake-gyllenhaal-6234213.jpg]

15. Azure_Angel

Azure_Angel Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2006
    I think the perosn would would make a good Anakin would be that guy who played Achillies' cousin in Troy (the brad pit version) i think he would have done a good job.
    ~Azure_Angel

16. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    Ashton Kutcher? Yeah maybe...

17. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    The very idea of Ashton is this role makes me want to bang my head into the wall. *shudder*

18. TCG

TCG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2005
    kutcher as anakin: when he chops off mace's hand, would he scream in his face, 'You got punk'd'?!

i'm certainly not in the camp that thinks that hc is the ONLY guy that could've played anakin. gyllenhaal, franco i could see as being as good or better. also, heath ledger.

19. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    LOL! LOL!

20. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    He was good in the Butterfly Effect.

21. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    What about Owen Wilson? ha!

"You hit it so right on, man. I love you, Padme. You're so awesome, man!"

22. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

[image=http://www.poster.net/hamill-mark/hamill-mark-photo-xl-mark-hamill-6226170.jpg]

[image=http://cdn.compuserve.com/gallery/i/h/h_christensen/HaydenChri_Yasky_2431438_Ma.jpg]

You really think they look alike? I'm not sure I agree with ya.

But Ashton as Anakin? The HORROR!!

23. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005
    this guy would have been an awesome Anakin:

[image=http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/strand_releasing/it_s_all_about_love/joaquin_phoenix/allabout2.jpg]

He would have been superb because he's good at being an annoying actor (Gladiator), as well as a likeable actor (Cash).

Hayden was just too Vanilla.

24. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    Pheonix would definaly be a good sith.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

25. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005

Yah, I think so too. He looks like a Sith!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.