main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another question about Luke and Carbon Freezing

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Deagol, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Rather than hijacking Darth_Cole's thread I decided to make my own.

The question popped into my mind as soon as I read the title to his thread and immediately thought he was going to ask it. But he didn't . . . so here goes:

Now, what if Vader had been successful in freezing Luke in Carbonite, and what if he had not only been successful but Luke had had his lightsaber ignited at the instant of his freezing. Would the saber freeze too? would there have been a blue lightsaber blade sticking out of the block of carbonite? Would it have disrupted the freezing process killing Luke?

I don't think Vader had really thought this out as well as he should have.

2. Theory55

Theory55 Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 3, 2004
    I would imagine it would short the lightsaber out.

didn't that happen in an early draft of TPM or something? Obiwan's lightsaber shorted out?

3. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It did short out in an earlier draft in the water when Obi left it power up or something.

But Carbonite is a beast of a different nature (as if I know) isn't it? Eh!

Yeah shorting out is probably the safest and most reliable answer here, but I like to think that Luke would have been holding his lightsaber out horizontally in respect to the floor and would have been sticking out of the block of carbonite still clutched in Luke's hand.

Then . . . it would have melted the carbonite around the area where it was sticking out ala QGJ with the sealed door on the Federation ship. That would have disrupted the whole freezing process.

Even worse if Luke had been holding the lightsaber vertically in respect to the ground. Then it would have melted an entire hunk of carbonite in which Luke was frozen. Truly would have been a fate worse than death.

Do I at least get points for an original question?

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "Do I at least get points for an original question?"

I'd say, yes ;)

Interesting, because it hurts coming up with a theory.
    I mean, in the film, they would have had the lightsaber simply deactivated. But I have no idea what could happen if it didn't....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.