main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another question of The Top Posters

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Cloned_Sidious, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    I would be so happy if I can have it... :(

2. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I look at high post counts as something of an oddity, rather than something truly special. Like when I look at a circus show freak, I think to myself "wow, that's different" and I want to check it out a little, but its only interesting because it is abnormal.

big posters=circus freaks

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    LUKE CARES!!!

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I can see stars when I look at the WUL. If you need to see a star, there you go.

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I have to disagree with Bib. Just because everybody knows him because he ... "posts a lot" to put it mildly, doesn't mean lotsaposts=famous

Sapient, I think, is known more because of his adminship or something

and I feel almost completely unknown despite being #3 and having e-powar! and fancy colors.

a few dozen people with less or barely more than, say, 10k posts are a lot more e-famous (or infamous) on the JC

that being said, I didn't even understand that list. I didn't see Sapient or myself on there. Was it most posts on that day? If so, that's even worse than a Member Update style list!

6. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, there were NO mods on that list at all... CRs and VIPs and regular users, but no mods.

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    It looked like the list specifically excluded anyone at mod level or higher.

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I never even saw this list. It was disabled before I even logged on. And I'm glad it was. I'm glad the ability to enable and disable stars was taken away as an admin ability. Whether intentional or not, it sends the message that if you post a lot you get features other users don't. It encourages the behavior to post every minute as often as possible, as many days as possible. That's not even fun. Just post here because you like to. The perception is that if you post a lot and limit it to one word post threads and LBL's, the intention is to grow your post count. It's not really discussion. It's you, the computer, and the continuously-resetting one minute stopwatch. I can't imagine how that is even enjoying the place for what it was intended.

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I have to ask you all - is this topic a secret plot to up your post counts? :p

Seriously though, I'm with TwiLekJedi and Dingo on this one. Just because people have a lot of posts does not mean that they are remembered or that those posts are helpful. I'd much rather be around someone who posts 100 times and is helpful than someone who posts 100,000 times and spams.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Whoops, I agree with DarthSapient as well. :D

10. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Of course popularity needs posting. But not posting in the meaning of "I have over xx posts", but more in the meaning of saying qualified things, that people remember and help them.

I guess that only VIPs and normal user were on that list, at least I haven't recognised any higher leveled members.

(just my two cents)

11. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The other thing is I would rather be remembered as me the person in real life than this name on a messageboard. Who's being remembered? Only a screename, not you.

12. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    We tend to over glorify things such as post counts and colors as it is, even the WUL can be a status feature. But Sape has it right, just post what you enjoy posting and be remembered for what you say, not how many times you say it.

*runs off to look at post count* :p

13. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    although I can't deny that there is some enjoyment in the postcount "race". I like to look at the top 5 posters and am sad enough to know them by heart (4th is Tobey-Wan, 5th is my beloved RSA MacCaffrey :D) :p It's just that the process of obtaining a huge postcount brings along unpleasent problems (lack of discussion, spam, derailment, etc.)

and, it's a lot more amazing when it just happens (Sape, Mac), rather than those who try to +1 as much as possible (me in 2002)

only reason why the member updates and xie's lists were interesting

14. Cloned_Sidious

Oct 14, 2004
    I can see that this thread changed into a post count discussion thread, but I will keep asking for the list, because no one has yet said "No, you can't have it" or "Yes, you can have it".

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think a "No, you can't have it" is sort of assumed or implied.

16. Cloned_Sidious

Oct 14, 2004
    Oh... :(

But if can't have the actual list, does anyone know all the names of it, and maybe can tell those to me? I would appreciate it.

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    There used to be a semi-maintained thread in the JCC for the Top 100 posters in terms of post count. Even that was encouraging spam. You could always start with user 1, go to the New Users list, get their UID, and manually increase the URL by one until you get to the most recent user. Take all the posts you see once you've gone to their profile to get it, enter it into a spreadsheet like Excel, and sort from highest to lowest. See you in 2125. :)

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    xie once maintained a pretty accurate list of post counts.

19. Cloned_Sidious

Oct 14, 2004
    But not anymore?

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I don't know if he does anymore or not. Last I heard he was banned from here, but I don't know why or for how long.

21. Cloned_Sidious

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, thanks anyway.

22. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    xie used a tool that did all the work. I think it was an IGN-thing.

23. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
  24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    That's a mistake. That's actually my post count at the time I apparently did a name search from his profile. Before corrected, the program would assign the mod's post count to that user. So anyone in that post count range means it was from me. I'm glad you pointed it out so I can correct it. I've had to do this a few times. :)

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    wow. You had me scared for a minute there. Can you imagine what the Comms forum would have been like over the past six years if SDA were up to a five-digit post count by now? [face_hypnotized]

So, a question for the mods. Since your official line is you won't even tell anyone who the top 100 posters are, does that mean a thread like the ones xie or SotS used to do wouldn't be allowed anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.