main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

another question...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by King Adrock, Jan 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Réka

Réka Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    Hey, what's all this about Saturday birthdays? What's wrong with Friday birthdays? (My sister and I turn 28 tomorrow!)

Anyway, Happy Birthday to Lt. Page and ************ (whoever that is).

Back to name meanings: I was going to post the Rabe=raven tidbit, but Saché of Naboo beat me to it. Anyway, while we're on the topic of German, säbel means sabre or sword--could be an idea for Sabé's origins.

Another little tidbit of information I found while surfing the 'net yesterday is that in Japanese, the -é suffix means "widower". Of course, I know very little about Japanese, so I don't know how accurate that is. (It could just be a quirk of the transliteration software that particular dictionary site used.)

I believe that the Padmé=Lotus info has been confirmed by official sources as the origin of Amidala's alter-ego-name. Unfortunately, none of the other handmaiden names mean anything in Tibetan, at least not that I can find.

2. Lt. Page

Lt. Page Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 1999
    Happy birthday Réka (and too your sister)! The interesting thing is that while I was born on the 15th, I was born on the other side of the dateline, so it was the 14th here in the United States. (Saturday is my 29th birthday)

About the Japanese é suffix definition. I took Japanese way back in high school, and I don't remember any "é" in Romanji (Japanese using the english alphabet- ex: hai). From what I remeber there was an "e" in Japanese (pronounced "a"). But I did not go very far in Japanese, so maybe it was a more advanced element of the language. (though I am pretty sure about no "é" in the alphabet, but who knows).

3. CrescentJedi

CrescentJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 1999
    Hi there!

I'm finding it very interesting to be referred to as ***********!

Hope you don't mind that spilled the beans, GB.

Amy

4. Lt. Page

Dec 3, 1999
    Happy birthday CrescentJedi

I would be up for a party, but I won't be around much Saturday. I will be spending the ENTIRE day judging a gymnastics meet, some way to spend your birthday. But don't worry about that both Réka and CrescentJedi have birthdays that should be celebrated.

[This message has been edited by Lt. Page (edited 01-13-2000).]

5. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Alright--another birthday to add! And I just finished decorating the banquet hall, too! Paarrrrrrrtttttttyyyyyyy!!!

Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy Birthday to: Réka, Lt. Page, and CrescentJedi!
    Happy Birthday to you!

Look--it's a celebration!
    http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Interview/4698/Rhs/34.jpg

And...
    http://www.bluemountain.com/eng3gifs/daphne/deca/decacp.gif

Now...about that "é" in Japanese--I've never encountered one, but then again my Spanish is much better than my Japanese, and even that isn't all that great! Besides, <shrug>, I'm "yonsei"--too far gone to know much more than how to count and say a few words in Japanese. Now, unfortunately, I am fluent in Valley Girl-speak.....<EG>

"Like, we're TOTALLY brave, your highenessness! Omygosh!"

<runs and hides>

Happy upcoming birthdays!

6. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    And....update....we're to page three! Woooohooooooo!!!!!!!!! The view is spectacular! And I was the first to get to see it!

This calls for another smiley fest!!!
    http://indigo.ie/~owenc/starwars/images/council.gif

(Oh, and pssstt....not to take attention away from the birthday celebration, but this is my 400th post!!!!! Yay!!!!!! Extra smileys: shhhhhhh....)

[This message has been edited by GentleBant (edited 01-14-2000).]

7. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Okay folks .. plug your ears, I'm gonna sing now! redface.gif

Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy Birthday to: Réka, Lt. Page, and CrescentJedi!
    Happy Birthday to yooooooooooouuuuu!

Wooo Hooo!!!!! More smilies for all!!!!!
    http://indigo.ie/~owenc/starwars/images/council.gif

And for some HM content in this post .. I couldn't resist putting these up again!

http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/rabe.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtae.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtaequeenrabepalp.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtaequeenrabesenate.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtaequeenrabeescape.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtaequeenrabereturn.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/rabechamber.gif

hee heee! Oh and GentleBant congrats on your 400th post!

8. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    <3P0> Goodness gracious me! </3P0>

Well, Happé Birthdé to my coincidentally nascent RHSociety Fellows, Réka, CrescentJedi, and Lt. Page!!

Réka --
    This is getting out of hand! Now there are two of them!

GB thank you for arranging the appropriate Festive Decorations and imgs!

As for HM Nomenclature: I found the following name-definitions in a dusty olde tome in the attic:

1. Sabé -- She who Kicks Arse
    2. Rabé -- She of the exotic accent
    3. Eirtaé -- She who Doesn't Speak but kicks almost as much arse as Sabé
    4. Yané -- She who is Silly
    5. Saché -- She whose Daddy is close personal friends with the Creator

. . . these are loose interpretations, of course . . .

**Piett**

9. Lt. Page

Dec 3, 1999
    GBwonderfull job on the Hall decorations, and congragulations on 400!!

Piett I like your definitions of the Handmaiden names (though Yané might have something to say about hers, or not. ).

Well happy birthday again Réka now that it is the acctual day!

10. Réka

Réka Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    Lt.Page, I'm sorry your birthday will be occupied by non-birthday activities. (You'd think that since it falls on a Saturday, you'd be allowed to spend it however you wish, but we all know how that goes...)

Ah, CrescentJedi, so it's you hiding behind all those asterisks! Happy Birthday!

GentleBant: nice decorations, I'm sure, but where are they? (Btw, I'm not much of a party person. Just give me my glass of champagne and leave me with a good book, and I'll be happy. But far be it from me to prevent the rest of you from partying till you drop!)

Lt.Piett: I take that quote to mean that you were not aware that I have a twin sister? One of these days I'll get her to post here, just to see if we can confuse y'all. (It might be a while--she's busy these days, planning the day when she will cruelly abandon me for a guy who lives on the other side of the country, a.k.a. her wedding.)

About the handmaiden names:
    I think that Japanese thing might have been just a quirk of the online translator I was using; I have been unable to find any supporting information in any of the other dictionaries I checked.

I keep hoping someone will find a source that gives a unifying origin for all five of the names. Otherwise, any symbolism discussion becomes somewhat meaningless. (Of course, it may just be that GL played around with names until he found five that sounded good with the é ending, but he didn't assign any particular importance to their meaning...)

[edit: geez, I must really be getting old, writing "and" instead of "any"...]

[This message has been edited by Réka (edited 01-14-2000).]

11. Saché of Naboo

Saché of Naboo Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 1999
    Gah, GB! In the course of one month, your post total went from being far below mine to surpassing it! That does it! Monday I am going post crazy! (I'm kidding, I'm kidding... sheesh.) Conga-rats!!!!!!

To CrescentJedi,Réka(and her sister), and Lt. Page: Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

Anywho, Réka, if you WANT a connection to the names, I think that I can give you it... this is; of course, only from the two names... but well, the Lotus and the Raven are both religious symbols.

I already mentioned the significance of the Lotus, but, from what I understand, in the old Druid religion of Ireland, Great Britain, and parts of France and Germany, the goddess of war (who was actually merely a facet of The Goddess) was referred to as being The Lady of Ravens. In fact, if my understanding of this is at all correct, when Rome was conquering Britannia, there was a fighting sect known as the Ravens-their sole goal was to drive the Romans out of the British Isles. I'll have to look up the particular goddess's name when I get the chance...

12. Saché of Naboo

Saché of Naboo Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 1999
    Got it!

Cathubodva=The Lady of Ravens, a war goddess similar to the Morrigan

Anywho, if you think about it, the HM names seem to fit the characters perfectly.

[This message has been edited by Saché of Naboo (edited 01-14-2000).]

13. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    I have been absent/busy with w*rk for too long! I've missed such an excellent discussion on name meanings! From the silly (Piett ) to the esoteric (CrescentJedi's kabalistic interpretation) to the thoughtful (everyone else on this thread!).

As GentleBant pointed out many posts ago I have been absent from the e-circle thus far... soon, I promise . I may even have a silly picture or two to share.

Good luck with the HM guide there Yoshi. Is the Insiders Guide helpful at all with respect to the handmaidens?

I was re-watching the TPM trailers (they still give me goosebumps) last night and was sad to note how the handmaidens once again were neglected. I know you only get brief glimpses of everyone in a trailer, but the HM barely got that even. Grrrr.

14. jeditictac

jeditictac Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 1999
    flagg ahh. it's good to know i can still remember some things. i find it odd that i didn't think of the stand though because i have read that more recently then the eyes of the dragon (want to reread that but am corrently going though jordon's wheel of time books :) i assume you like to read. are you also a fan of the dark tower/gunslinger series?

GB ahhhh!!! that little dancing nat in battle garb is killing me! well, no, but it sure is funny and very cute!

QG'sP your knowledge on the handmaidens name meanings astounds me.

Sergé as always, i loved your tune!

CrescentJedi wow! thanks for posting that info. i for one had not known that about the names sabe and padme.

sache welcome back! interesting thoughts on the name issue. i would say something but i don't really have a clue about name meanings :)

yoshi good luck on your HM project

welcome, Jedi Milan-Kenobi

reka, lt. page, and CrescentJedi happy b-days! hope they were great. :-D

lt. piett lol on your name interpretations ;-D you're so silly.

Magpie Jen i too get goosebumps still from the trailers.

i have caught up!

about haindmaidens....i often wondered how their names were picked, movie wise. i mean where they given those names when they were born or did they adapt them when they became HMs/began training to be HMs so they could not be traced; thus, their familes and friends could not be used to motivate them into doing something stupid. after all, all there names have the accented e (which i don't know how to do on this computer) while none of the other people from naboo has that accented e. does anyone have any speculation on this? born with the name, given/chosen the name for security purposes?

15. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Good evening, all!

Wow, jeditictac, that was some nice "catching up," there. It just goes to show you what happens when you stay away from here too long. <G>

Hi, Saché! Yes, my post total has skyrockted--especially since I was here almost of all of New Year's Eve! That, and I've started spending some time in the JC Community, now. Guess you'll just have to come back and post A LOT!!!! <G> ("You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Bant!" )

Magpie Jen, whenever you can make it, come on over! We'll be glad to have you.

So, how's that guide coming, Yoshi? Don't forget about finishing your homework! <G>

Piett, what exactly was your source on those names again?

Happy actual Birthday, Réka! Hope you (and your sister) had a great day!!!!!

Now, let's see, the reason/reality of the HM's names--I believe that it is entirely possible (possible, mind you) that the "é"'s are part of the HM job, so to speak. I don't believe that no one on Naboo would necessarily have an accented e, but perhaps it is more unusual, or related to titles or mythology somehow. Could it be some sort of a partial title-recognition as well? Personalized, of course. BTW, I remain highly impressed by the outstanding research (or impressed by most of it, anyway) done regarding the origins of the HMs names.

One other quick question--relates to something that has cropped up. How tall are the HMs? I know that they must be similar in height to Amidala, for obvious reasons, but what is her height?

Have a great weekend, all!

16. Jedi Milan-Kenobi

Jedi Milan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2000
    I will now take the pledge:

I, Jedi Milan-Kenobi, pledge my full support to ensure that the RHS threads will continue in a fun but clean manner, in order to ensure our respect to the handmaidens whom we admire and adore.

As an offical member of this thread, I will give my 100% support in order to make sure that the RHS continues in a fashion that is acceptable to everyone involved.

I guess I should say that my fav. handmaidens are Sabe and Padme. But I admire all of them. Well I've got to go. I'll post something later.

MTFBWY!
    :0

17. Jedi Milan-Kenobi

Jedi Milan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2000
    I will now take the pledge:

I, Jedi Milan-Kenobi, pledge my full support to ensure that the RHS threads will continue in a fun but clean manner, in order to ensure our respect to the handmaidens whom we admire and adore.

As an offical member of this thread, I will give my 100% support in order to make sure that the RHS continues in a fashion that is acceptable to everyone involved.

I guess I should say that my fav. handmaidens are Sabe and Padme. But I admire all of them. Well I've got to go. I'll post something later.

MTFBWY!
    :0

18. Queen Sabé

Queen Sabé Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 1999
    Hello all!

I am so excited to be able to get in on the RHS thread while it is still young!

The explanations of the handmaidens names are pretty cool. I had often wondered about their significance before, but have never had/made the time to research. Great job to those who did.

I actually have a question. Are the names just titles given to the women who serve Amidala or were there actually five women with names that rhymed like that who all happened to apply for, be qualified for, and selected for the position of handmaiden? Perhaps this isn't a topic for extensive discussion, nor is it a topic that can really be researched, but I place the question on the forum anyway, just to see what happens.

Long live the Royal Handmaiden Society and all of the Faithful, Fabulous Five!
    (I hope GL doesn't solve the problem of handmaiden acknowledgement by killing them off! Oh great, now I'm going to have nightmares!!!!!)

"We are brave, your Highness..."

addendum: "...and we will kick whatever booté is necessary to preserve our own...and your Highness's, of course."

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

Queen Sabé

19. Queen Sabé

Dec 3, 1999
    Hello again!

I just thought of an idea! I believe I read in a previous post that the number of sites dedicated to the Fab Five is growing rapidly. How about a handmaiden webring to link all of these sites? I know of two Queen Amidala webrings, so I think it would be a great idea to have one for the HMs. This forum would be a great opportunity for people to submit image designs and title ideas. So how 'bout it?

Queen Sabé
    (Thanks for adding me to the RHS members list! It is truly an honor!)

P.S. Has anyone already thought about doing this? If so, how about we act on this "previously had" idea?

20. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Yoshi the Green Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 1999
    Before I begin my long post - Queen Sabe, that's an interesting idea. I think that, since Ric Olié has the é, I'm guessing that in Naboo, -é is a common surnames, much like -son is in the US.

Ok, last night I finally finished going through the Insider's Guide. I wrote down all the handmaiden scenes where there are two or more (that means anything with Padme in Tatooine is excluded, etc.). Generally, these are scenes with Queen Amidala in them. Now, the final battle is very confusing, so I am simply denoting in between two of the scenes. I'll sort through that later. Anyway, without further ado, here are the scenes in TPM with everybody's favorites:

Scene 0: I'm not sure about this. When the Neimoidians talk to Amidala over the comm system, the Guide says the handmaidens are in the background, but I don't remember them.

Scene 1: I'm pretty sure this is the first scene with them. This is the Throne Room scene.

Scene 2: A party of Amidala, HMs, Bibble, Panaka and guards walk down a set of stairs in the palace and exchange dialogue with the TF. This ends with Gunray ordering them to be taken to the camps.

Scene 3: This is when they are outside and are rescued by the Jedi.

Scene 4: Standing outside the hangar, Qui-Gon, Panaka and Sabe decide what to do.

Scene 5: This is the actual fight in the hangar and boarding of the ship. This scene will really have to be reviewed a lot when the film comes out.

Scene 6: After the space battle, Qui-Gon and Panaka talk to Sabe. This is where we see Padme introduced and R2-D2 being commended.

Scene 7: While Qui-Gon and Padme are in Mos Espa, Obi-Wan, Panaka and HMs see Bibble's plea for help on the Royal ship.

Scene 8: The gang meets Palpatine and Valorum on the Coruscant landing platform.

Scene 9: Palpatine talks to Amidala in his quarters.

Scene 10: Anakin seeks out Padme in Amidala's quarters. This is Rabé's speaking scene.

Scene 11: The Senate Scene.

Scene 12: Amidala talks to Jar Jar, then Palpatine announces he's been nominated for SC. (supreme chancellor, not slacker council ). Then Amidala tells Palpatine she's going back to Naboo.

Scene 13: Senate Landing Platform scene, where the gang boards the ship. This will have to be scrutinzed very carefully, since most of the camera action is on Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Anakin.

Scene 14: After Ric Olié and Anakin do their pilot thing, Qui-gon tells Amidala that once they land, the TF will arrest her.

Scene 15: I'm not sure this one actually happened in the film. Apparently, the ship is about to land, and the HMs, guards, and Queen are in the ship's hold getting ready, when Anakin visits the Queen again.

Scene 16: Peace talks with Boss Nass.

Scene 17: Jedi/Gungans/Naboo discuss the battle plan. This will have to be scrutinzed very carefully, I don't remember the HMs there for more than a couple of frames.

THE FINAL BATTLE

Scene 18: Sentencing of the Neimoidians, aka "you can kiss your Trade franchise goodbye!!!"

Scene 19: Qui-Gon's Funeral Scene.

Scene 20: The celebtration.

Notes: I believe the Rabe speaking scene and the sentencing scene are the two scenes with stand-ins. Or are they? I don't really know, but I remember some people complaining about that.

Several of these scenes can't be resolved until the video comes out and we have our magical pause button, but we can get most of them.

21. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Yoshi the Green Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 1999
    First up: Scene 2 and 3. Could someone post a couple pictures, and then we'll figure it out? These two scenes shouldn't be too hard, I think. We'll let the throne room scene wait for the video.

22. Giantano

Giantano Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 1999
    This is in reply to Yoshi's scene by scene description. Good job! I haven't even sat down and gone through that portion of the Insider's Guide. Using your notes and mine from my HMD (Handmaiden Dissertation) from a few months ago, I'll make a few statements. I'll only post pictures of the scenes I'm commenting on.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Movie/6337/31.jpg

Scene 0: You can actually see Eirtaé on the left side of the screen when Amidala is addressing Nute. You can see a HM on the right, but her face is blocked. I believe this to be Rabé, but it cannot be confirmed until the video release because we are still in disagreement over the Throne Room seating. I feel whoever is sitting on Amidala's left is the second handmaiden in the transmission.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Movie/6337/102.jpg

Scene 10: Rabé speaks. It's still too difficult for me to determine if it's Keira and Liz in this scene, but several Keira experts are positive she's there. Therefore, I believe there are no stand ins. Is that Sabé on the left and Eirtaé on the right?

Scene 11: The Senate scene. We had a discussion about his a few months ago, but I don't remember if we came to a resolution. Who went with Amidala to the Senate? In April we will have the answer.

Scene 15: I'm not sure this one actually happened in the film. Apparently, the ship is about to land, and the HMs, guards, and Queen are in the ship's hold getting ready, when Anakin visits the Queen again.

This did not happen in the film, but I do remember someone posting a picture from the comic adaptation a few threads ago. Anyone have it laying around?

Scene 17: Battle Plans. If I remember correctly, the only time you can see handmaidens is over the Jedi shoulders in the background. I know you can spot Sabé, but I'm not sure about the other two.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Movie/6337/85.jpg

To further confuse loyal RHS members, there is a stand-in for Rabé during this scene for no apparent reason. She's shorter than are favorite speaker, and she appears to be Asian. Of course, you can't tell it from this picture, but I was very upset when I realized this.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Movie/6337/71.jpg

Scene 18: This is the "Handmaiden" that I detest. She is clearly seen here and gets a better full face shot than both Yané and Saché did during all their scenes. Grrr. There are five handmaidens here. Rabé and Sabé are both there, but I don't know about Eirtaé.

Scene 20: Only four handmaidens are present for the Disco Ball Parade. Sabé, Rabé, Eirtaé, and Yané. Poor Saché.

That's all I have for right now. After looking through the Picture Gallery on the RHS Main Page (Great job on that QGP!), I am eagerly looking forward to April. When the video is released, hopefully our heroines will be seen more clearly.

And a very happy birthday to our RHS members this weekend!

MTFBWY,
    Andé...the Chief RHS Field Reconnaissance Officer as awarded by Piett handmaiden

[This message has been edited by Giantano (edited 01-15-2000).]

23. CrescentJedi

CrescentJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 1999
    I just thought of an idea! I believe I read in a previous post that the number of sites dedicated to the Fab Five is growing rapidly. How about a handmaiden webring to link all of these sites? I know of two Queen Amidala webrings, so I think it would be a great idea to have one for the HMs. This forum would be a great opportunity for people to submit image designs and title ideas. So how 'bout it?

Queen Sabé
    (Thanks for adding me to the RHS members list! It is truly an honor!)

P.S. Has anyone already thought about doing this? If so, how about we act on this "previously had" idea?

This is a good idea! I don't remember it being mentioned before. Queen Sabe, are you going to be in charge of getting it started?

Amy

24. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Welcome, Jedi Milan-Kenobi! Please feel free to make yourself at home, here! Join in the debate, post pics, or just sit back and enjoy the bevy (sp?) of knowledge shared by everyone. (I remain constantly impressed...)

WRT to the Webring-thingy. (Notice the excellent technological vocabulary I possess. ) I believe we have the beginnings of one at the RHS Website, set up by the Master of All-Such-Things, QG'sP. Please go and check it out!

Also, great job Yoshi, and once again Giantano, your insight is impressive! Also, if you watch very carefully in the hangar scene, as the party enters the hangar, you can actually see a group of people (I'm assuming that Yané and Saché are amongst them) running off in the background. This is only just as the Jedi and Amidala and party are first walking into the hangar, for a very brief moment. It took me my last two viewings (back in December) to catch it. When the video comes out I will try and stop at that scene to see if we can see the two elusives sneaking away.

Now, for the other two birthday-celebrants today: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY to CrescentJedi and Lt. Page!!!" Hope your day is wonderfully happy!

Have a splendid day, everyone!

25. Queen Sabé

Dec 3, 1999
    CrescentJedi,

I would be happy to help get a webring started, however, I'm not an HTML whiz and knowledge of that may be pretty important. I do know where I can go to see about putting together a webring, so I'll be happy to check it out and report back any information.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dianna
    (Queen Sabé)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.