main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

another question...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by King Adrock, Jan 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yané of Naboo

Yané of Naboo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 1999
    Piett, I went back to the magazine index I found and searched for Cristina's name. Unfortunately I didn't come up with anything. Oh well, good try anyway.

2. tjedi81

tjedi81 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 1998
    So how can I join the society?

3. Lt. Page

Lt. Page Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 1999
    tjedi81 there is an oath you have to take, it is back on page one or two. Just repeat the oath and you are a memeber.

4. Saché of Naboo

Saché of Naboo Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 1999
    LOL Piett! Have you ever considered doing standup?

And because it's been a while since we last saw 'em:

http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/rabe.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtae.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtaequeenrabepalp.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtaequeenrabesenate.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtaequeenrabeescape.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/eirtaequeenrabereturn.gif
    http://members.tripod.com/qui-gonlist/rabechamber.gif Rabé

5. Queen Sabé

Queen Sabé Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 1999
    Hello everyone!!!! I just couldn't let the day go by without offering a greeting to my fellow RHS members. Hope everyone's week is going well.

Lt. Page - Thank you for the more detailed explanation of "areté". Perhaps the "prowess in battle" could be applied to Eirtaé. She would have to be able to defend herself and Queen Amidala, so it only makes sense that she would be schooled in the fine art of kicking arse.

Lt.Piett - I agree with Saché of Naboo. Your caption was hilarious! I couldn't even match it if I tried.

6. RedAce

RedAce Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 1999

[This message has been edited by RedAce (edited 01-19-2000).]

7. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Yoshi the Green Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 1999
    Hi all!! School and homework have prevented me from any actual posting lately, but I'm back for a minute. Hopefully school will be canceled tomorrow due to snow. Anyway.

Thanks to all who responded on the Guide. When I have a chance, I'm going to go through my Insider's Guide and figure out all the easy scenes.

As for scene 3, when they are walking outside. Qui-Gon's Padawan's top view picture shows that the first row is Sabe as the Queen and Bibble, the second row is 2 HMs and Panaka, and the third is 3 HMs.

My guess: in the second row, from left to right looking at the group, is Rabe, then Padme. In the back row, from left to right, is Eirtae, Yane, Sache. This is before the Jedi. Once Panaka leads the party to the hangar after the Jedi rescue everyone, I can't tell what the order is, or if it changes. Is the Insider's Guide photo taken when the HMs are going to the hangar?

Scene 2 looks like it will have to wait for the video.

8. Giantano

Giantano Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 1999
    Mani: You were trying to get a good glimpse of my Obi-Wan? I guess I can forgive you, this time. Just don't let it happen again! Indeed, there are only FOUR handmaidens at the Disco Ball Parade. I have paid attention to that scene carefully many times. Sabé behind Anakin and Obi-Wan. Rabé behind Obi-Wan and Amidala. Eirtaé behind Amidala and Palpatine. Yane behind Palpatine and Panaka. Saché is not present.

Regarding the picture I posted, I think the black "thing" is used to keep the actresses warm while not filming. I'm sure it gets very cold on those sets in England and full coats or robes would probably wrinkle the sleeves of the orange dresses. Cristina and Nat are both wearing the black coverings. Ian and Terence's costumes are probably layered and heavy enough for warmth.

Okay, I got my new Star Wars Insider today. Two, count them two, out of about 15 letters were praising the magazine for their A**** **** coverage. Now, I know we all emailed Scott Chernoff about interviewing the Fab Five. Right? Right?! Well, why don't we hit the snail mail circuit. Anyone up for that? I can post the address if we want to.

By the way, the interviewed Natalie in this issue. She talks reasons why they did not digitally clone her to play the decoy. She mentions that her mom came on the set and started talking to the actress in the Amidala make-up thinking it was her daughter, but it was Keira! Nifty.

MTFBWY,
    Andé...the handmaiden advocate handmaiden

9. Sergé Eisenstein

Sergé Eisenstein Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 1999
    Hey Piett, you almost made me choke on my sandwich with that Hamlet spoof! That was great!

Tell you what, I'll give you a poem update on my grand epic piece, in the style of Rick McCallum's infamous Prequel updates in the SW magazine, that really frustrated the heck out of me, back in the time when we were counting down:

CHERNOFF: Well, how far are you? What are you doing right now?
    EISENSTEIN: Well, we've just about finished location scouting, and pretty soon now, we'll start casting.
    CHERNOFF: Wha..location scouting...for a poem?? What are you talking about, Eisenstein?
    EISENSTEIN: Yeah, that's right! It's going great! Everything we've done up til now has been fabulous, really stunning! Just wait till you see it!
    CHERNOFF: But why...I mean, isn't it just like...you have a pen, and paper, and then you just write down the %^&^&&!! poem?
    EISENSTEIN: Special effects are great too, that's right, just gorgeous. Really excellent work...
    CHERNOFF: Are you trying to say you haven't put a single line on paper yet!?
    EISENSTEIN: Hey...you always used to believe McCallum, right? (silence) Okay, okay...four lines.

10. Réka

Réka Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    Two off-topic items today:

1. If you want to see Ralph Brown (Ric Olié) actually act (he's still not sympathetic, but that's because of his character, not his lack of good lines), watch the miniseries version of Ivanhoe. Ralph is the sniveling, underhanded Prince John.

2. I'm a happy camper! There's going to be an exhibit of film costumes in L.A., and it's going to include some from TPM! (Check out the http://www.starwars.comofficial site for the full info.) They don't mention any handmaiden costumes, but I can hope, can't I?
    <Homer Simpson> Mmm, costumes... </Homer Simpson>

11. Lt. Page

Dec 3, 1999
    Mani you bring up several interesting points in you post about the King's attendants and the length of service for the Handmaidens.

1) About the title "Valet", I still feel that this is the best title for the Naboo King's attendants. I feel this way because I beilve that the roll of the valets (gentlemen attendants, whatever) is diffrent than the roll of the Handmaidens. This is based mainly on my discussion about the need for a peer group within the royal culture. This was achived by female royalty by the employment of handmaidens, ladies-in-waiting, ect. Male royalty (at least in history) had their peers amoung the other members of the court, and royalty in other positions of power. The Handmaidens are incredibly versatile in their abilities, both their more menial duties and their roll as the queen's defenders. Many men (perhapse more than that, especially amoung royalty) are more arogant and convinced of their own ability (ie egocentric). Thus they might not have attendants that also serve as bodyguards, after all, they have the royal guards and thier own skill (prehapse this is why the former king of Naboo was assassinated!) As for squires and pages, they were not always nobility. And in Star Wars, a Padawan is a close version of a squire. Look at the tasks Obi-Wan carried out for Qui-Gon, he did a lot of the dirtier jobs (more menial?) like repairing the Queen's damaged ship.

2) About the length of service of a Handmaiden, I belive that it is a very long term job. Obviously there would be a lot of training involved in being a Handmaiden, its not something you could learn in a short amount of time. But also there is the "friendship factor" (for lack of a better term), you don't just make good trusted friends overnight, it takes time. I could easily see Amidala sending her Handmaiden's on important missions for her. (hmm, that would be an interesting fan fic, a couple of Handmaidens on a special mission for the Queen, a little after TPM.) I also belive that the Handmaidens would stay with Amidala if she was to abdicate, after all, if they were to stay in position even when the Queen/King changed, they would be in a position to gain a lot of power (they would be an almost bureaucratic post). And, as was proven with the Republic Senate in TPM, bureaucracies often take away power from the rulers. A good example would be the Middle East, where when Alaxander the Great took over the Persain Empire, he left most of the bureaucratic machine in place (he only placed Macadonians in the top positons) and these bureaucracies lasted through the Roman occupation and the the rise of Islam a thousand years latter.

3) The question of the constitutional position of a King/Queen whom abdicaties is a very interesting one. It is hard to answer because we know very little about the constitution of Naboo, other than that the Queen/King is elected (but elected by who? The nobility? The general populace?) There are some examples of elected kings in antiquity. The ancient Greek city states used to elect kings (tyrannts was the word used, it did not always have the negative meaning it does today, but erarned it through the actions of many of these rulers). They were elected by the citizens of the city (ie: men serving in the military). They were regular citizens, usually someone very popular such as a general or the like (and I used to know the title for generals in acient Greece, but can't remember it right now. I hate getting old!) When their term ended (terms varried from city to city, it could be a few years, or reelection every year, ect.) the former tyrannts would return to being a regular citizen (those that choose to step down and not try to stay in power!) The Roman Republic had a similar practice. When Rome found itself facing a great threat (always involving a war with some other power), the senate would elect a strong central ruler to lead the Republic (mainly the army) aginst the enemy and then return to thier life as a civilian when the threat was over. There is a famous legend from th

12. jeditictac

jeditictac Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 1999
    Giantano thanks for the haindmaiden pic from the site. i agree with reka about that atrocious black thing though :)
    i emailed scoot c. about the fab five. and i'll snail mail too, dangit! it is my duty to help :-D

Sergei :[face_sigh]: applauding loudly and whistling to boot:: that was awesome! you trully are our poet.

sache as much as it's hard to admit it, i like ric olie...those lines and his delivery of them are priceless...

Lt. Piett lol on your ric olie shakespearean quotes.

lt. page wow, that was a long, and interesting, post.

i wish i was in LA to see the costume display.
    i am caught up. i don't want to take midterms, i need a d or c on chem or i get a d in the class :-(

13. Lt. Page

Dec 3, 1999
    Mani: Yes I am a "he". You are quite right about the diffrence between Naboo royalty and royalty on Earth. Unfortuantly, we don't know enough about Naboo royalty (other than what was in the movie). I did notice the women in the advisory council, and I am not trying to say that there could not be women acting as Captain of the Guard or Govenor.

Special Ceremonial Guards? You mean like an Imperial Guard?

(I am not trying to come across as angry or agressive in this post, I apologize if it sounds that way

[This message has been edited by Lt. Page (edited 01-20-2000).]

14. Qui-Gon's Padawan

Qui-Gon's Padawan Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 1999
    Anyone here speaks Portuguese? I found some info on Karol Cristina da Silva (Rabé), but it's in Portuguese, and the AltaVista Babelfish isn't very helpful... It translated "Trata-se da paranaense Karol Cristina da Silva, que interpreta Rabe" to "Cristina is about the paranaense Karol Da Silva, who interprets Rabe", and the rest of the text isn't better. redface.gif

About the lenght of an handmaiden's service, I think that the handmaidens can "retire" whenever they want, just like Amidala. But if Amidala abdicates, I don't think the handmaidens can stay and serve the next sovereign, because the Visual Dictionary states that they were chosen for their courage, fitness, intelligence and ressemblance to the Queen. Since a Queen/King reigns for a pretty long time, the handmaidens would be a lot older than the next sovereign, so the "decoy trick" wouldn't work anymore.

http://canflag.ptbcanadian.com/images/maple/tinyleaf.gif QGP

[This message has been edited by Qui-Gon's Padawan (edited 01-21-2000).]

15. Sergé Eisenstein

Dec 20, 1999
    RITES OF SPRING
    EPISODE I

Theed, oh city full of magic
    Thou shalt be the stage today
    Whereon this rhyme, so boldly tragic
    Shall be put on fair display.

Show the audience your grace,
    Your wholesome charms and fine mystique,
    Then show it your other face,
    The garbled heaps of vile intrigue!

Show us presently Yané,
    Handmaiden of Royal Station,
    Diligently on this day
    Preparing for the celebration

To be held to hail the green,
    Flowering once again in Spring,
    Reborn; Alike within the Queen
    The wisdom heritage did bring;

Dynasties of ancient lore,
    That speak to us throughout the ages;
    Their culture the Naboo adore,
    Even when disaster rages...

Yané is readying the flawless
    Garments which the Queen do please;
    Adornment worthy of a goddess,
    Robes which once a year must seize

The eyes of all the joyful masses;
    Women, children, high men, low men,
    That hereby know that Spring shall bless us,
    Lest it be an evil omen...

Then appeared without a sign
    In Amidala's dressing quarters
    A vilest beast, most unbenign,
    A flying monkey from the borders!

It's grin was foul and merciless,
    But Yané wouldn't give in to fear;
    She had to guard the Royal dress,
    Disaster were it to disappear!

But then it spoke: "If thy sought,
    Fair handmaiden, to save thy life,
    Fear me not, but drink this drought,
    Lest my evil master slay the Royal Five!"

[This message has been edited by Sergé Eisenstein (edited 01-21-2000).]

16. Yané of Naboo

Aug 21, 1999
    <cheers and applause>
    it's nice to see Yané mentioned in the poem.

QGP, where did you find the information? BTW, no I don't know Portugeuse...but maybe I can try to make some sense of the translation.

17. Darth Hello Kitty

Darth Hello Kitty Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 1999
    QGP look here Forum8/HTML/010997.html Forum8/HTML/010997.html . They're Brazilian SW fans in the JC Community Forum. Lin-Si-Tar Konnair and Serpamayor are both Brazilian JC members and chances are they can translate for you if you ask nicely . If all else fails, email to me, as I have several Brazilian friends.

Yane, I have not forgotten your Candace Orwell pics, the lib was closed early yesterday because of the snow.

Nice job Serge and, Lt. Piett's Ric Ollie spoof. The talent in this room is astounding! BTW, how many Serge/Sergej/Sergeis are there in here? Maybe my eyesight is failing but it seems your name spelling changes.

18. Yané of Naboo

Aug 21, 1999
    That's all right, DarthHK, I can certainly sympathize about the snow. Snow's pretty to look at but I hate walking through it...especially at 7:45 in the morning. why do I schedule morning classes?

19. Rebel Operative

Rebel Operative Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 1999
    So you can have the rest of the day to do what you feel like, Yané of Naboo.

Such as slacking, for example.

20. Yané of Naboo

Aug 21, 1999
    Oh yeah. That was the reason, I guess, RO

It's just so...darn...cold.

21. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Nov 11, 1999
    SNOW!!! I love snow, especially when they cancel schools because of it. But it sucks to walk through snow on the way to school because I know I'm going to be in class instead of sledding and stuff.

Anyway, I went into the Insider's Guide, only to discover that they had so little pictures of the HMs it made me cry. For a scene with HMs, they'd have 1 picture featuring out-of-focus orange blobs, and for a scene without HMs we'd get 4534782957 pics of Jar Jar or Anakin. Ugh.

But I went to the RHS website, which is much better. I realized that most of the work has been done, the HMs are identified by our elder members in all but the weirdest scenes. I guess I'm just organizing all this stuff into a guide. But that's cool. Here are my guesses based on my observations, the RHS websites, and occaisonally the Insider's Guide.

Scene 0 - OK, I guess I hadn't noticed that before. I'd assumed it's Amidala only. I agree with Giantano, it's rather obvious the one on Amidala's right (our left) is Eirtae. The other one's identity shall be discovered come April 4.

Scene 1 - We're still in disagreement here. We'll have to wait for the video release.

Scene 2 - Thanks, Qui-Gon's Padawan but the Scene 2 pics are very blurry, and I can't tell much. I'm waiting for the video, unless someone who's really good can figure it out.

Scene 3 - Qui-Gon's Padawan's top view picture shows that the first row is Sabe as the Queen and Bibble, the second row is 2 HMs and Panaka, and the third is 3 HMs. My guess: in the second row, from left to right looking at the group, is Rabe, then Padme. In the back row, from left to right, is Eirtae, Yane, Sache. This is before the Jedi. Once Panaka leads the party to the hangar after the Jedi rescue everyone, I can't tell what the order is, or if it changes. Is the Insider's Guide photo taken when the HMs are going to the hangar?

Scene 4 - All I know on this one is that Panaka, Bibble and guards are on the left, and Jar Jar, the Jedi, Sabe, and the HMs are on the right. Padme and Rabe appear to be the closest to the Jedi and it looks like they block out Eirtae, Yane, and Sache.

Scene 5 - Definitely video.

Scene 6 - The R2D2 congrats scene after they escape. Finally, an easy one! Sabe is being the queen, with Rabe on her right (our left) and Eirtae to her immediate left. Padme is standing next to Eirtae.

Scene 7 - Another easy. Rabe is to the right of the queen and Eirtae to her left, just like in Scene 6, only without Padme.

Scene 8 - I think, from left to right, is Rabe, Eirtae, Padme. But I'm not sure.

Scene 9 - To the Queen's left (our right) is Rabe, to her right Eirtae.

Scene 10: This is a rumored stand-in scene. Obviously, Rabe is near the doorway while Amidala and two HMs stand in the far part of the quarters. Some say it's Sabe and Eirtae with her, some think there are stand ins. The video will tell.

Scene 11 - I can't tell.

Scene 12 - Umm, I can't tell. I think Eirtae is to our left and Sabe to our right in the doorway, but I can't tell.

Scene 13 - I found one grainy photo of this. Sabe is on the Queen's left, Rabe to her right, and a sleeve on Rabe's own right, leading me to believe that it's Eirtae. It looks like the sleeve and Sabe are closer to Amidala and Rabe is further behind her.

Scene 14 - Sabe is on the left, Rabe on the right.

Scene 15 - This apparently didn't happen in the film.

Scene 16 - From left, Rabe, Padme, then Eirtae, with Sabe as the Queen standing in front of them. Then Padme steps forward and reveals herself.

Scene 17 - I can't tell.

Final Battle - Very confusing...

Scene 18 - Is this another stand-in scene? I can't tell.

Scene 19 - Except for Sache standing behind Ric Olie, I can't tell.

Scene 20 - Someone mentioned the order, but I forget.

Ok, that's all.

22. Yané of Naboo

Aug 21, 1999
    Wow, this was on the second page.

Well, because I have such rotten luck finding anything about Candice (it was amazing to find the specific magazines she was pictured in) I've turned my attention to Sofia Coppola...

I've found some pics I'm not sure if any of them are at the RHS because I can't access the page here's one of them:

http://www.hollywood.com/news/headline_hollywood/art2/scoppola.jpg

Also, I'm not sure if any of you are Chemical Brothers fans, but I found a video of theirs (directed by Spike Jonze, Sofia's husband) that features Sofia as a gymnast. If you want to see the video it can be found on the following page:
    http://www.internetv.com/html/artists/chemical_brothers.htm http://www.internetv.com/html/artists/chemical_brothers.htm

the video is for the song "Electrobank"

23. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Nov 11, 1999
    Speaking of Sofia Coppola, I was at cnn.com and read an article on the Sundance Film Festival. The movie that she's directing, The Virgin Suicides, will premiere there. There was also one grainy photo:

http://cnn.com/2000/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/21/sundance.preview/sophia.jpg

She looks really ugly in that particular picture.

24. Sergé Eisenstein

Dec 20, 1999
    OOOOOkay...mesaaa...clumsy.

Since you all know I'm not from the US but from a country far, far away, you'll forgive me of course for thinking "draught", which is "draft" and which I mistyped as "drought" to add insult to injury, rhymes with "sought."

So...I had to do a special edition. Actually, no, just think of this as the real Rites of Spring Episode I, and of the other thing as the teaser trailer which still had a few glitches in it. It's a lot longer, a great director's cut, with a new and revised ending.

Oh, and by the way Darth Hello Kitty, "Sergé" is Sergej's protection; his loyal bodyguard.

Oh, and by the way once more: Saturday I saw "The Professional", starring The Most Radiant One! Perfection, people. Perfection. That's acting!

RITES OF SPRING
    EPISODE I (special edition)

Theed, oh city full of magic,
    Thou shalt be my stage today
    Whereon this poem, so boldly tragic
    Shall be brought to full display.

Show the audience your grace,
    Your wholesome charm and fine mystique,
    Then show it your other face,
    The garbled heaps of vile intrigue...

Show us presently Yané,
    Handmaiden of Royal Station
    Diligently on this day
    Preparing for the celebration

To be held to hail the green,
    Flowering once again in Spring,
    Reborn; Alike within our Queen
    The wisdom heritage does bring

Dynasties of ancient lore
    That speak to us throughout the ages;
    Their culture the Naboo adore,
    Even when disaster rages...

Yané is readying the flawless
    Garments which the Queen do please;
    Adornment worthy of a goddess,
    Robes which once a year must seize

The eye of all the joyful masses;
    Women, children, high men, low men,
    Hereby know that Spring will bless us,
    Lest it be an evil omen...

Then appeared without a sign
    In Amidala's dressing quarters
    A vilest beast, most unbenign,
    A flying monkey from the borders!

Its grin was foul and merciless
    But Yané wouldn't give in to fear;
    She had to guard the Royal dress,
    Disaster were it to disappear!

But then it spoke: " If thy would,
    Fair handmaiden, save thy dear life,
    Know then that my will is good;
    I wish to save the Royal Five!"

"I trust thee not, thou impure thing!"
    Said Yané as she took a stance,
    "Preparest now, for I will fling
    Your monkey bottom from here hence!"

But then replied that wily ape:
    "Alas! I feared that this would be;
    Among those with the Orange Cape
    Thou art by far the most silly!

Now drink this draft, and be transported
    To my master's hidden lair;
    His evil plans must be aborted
    Yet I see you do not dare!"

"We are brave," she said aglow,
    "And I certainly am not daft!
    Yet I admit I did not know
    That "sought" could never rhyme with "draft."

25. Saché of Naboo

Saché of Naboo Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 1999
    Sergé, that is amazing! Keep up the good work!

Yoshi, I am shocked and amazed at you!

She looks really ugly in that particular picture
    How dare you refer to one of the Royal HMs as being "ugly". Granted, that may not be the most flattering picture of Sofia, but that doesn't mean that she deserves to be called ugly.

In penance for your desecration of my namesake, I demand that you write "Sofia Coppola is the most beautiful woman in the world" fifty times. Failure to comply will result in a Royal Flogging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.