main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another R2 for ya :O)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Wiz, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiz

Wiz Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2005
    Seen some pretty nice R2's on here so thought I would post mine, just recently finished the modelling and plain textures, gonna dirty this fella up... anyway comments feedback welcomed :eek:)

Link below.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=262203

Cheers,

Wiz.

Ps - how do you include images (other than links) to a post?

2. Manger

Manger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    Nice r2 ;) keep up the good work (I had to use that cliché, haha)

For images:
    You just simply click the "image" button, next to blox and link..

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Wiz - Welcome to TFN!

Looks nice so far - I'd add a bit of dirt to him to make it more realistic and take those specular highlights down some but other than that it's looking good!

Keep it up!

4. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Thanks guys appreciate the comments :)

Yeah going to re-texture him (add some dirt, oil etc.) once I have tidied all the mesh and done some final detailing.

Was thinking of doing some of his internal workings (periscope etc.) and have them animate, will see how I get on.

Cheers :)

Wiz.

5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Yup. Looks really nice so far. It looks great but I can't comment on accuracy without some references. If anything is wrong with it it's probably minor. I saw you didn't have a website. Have you ever made any other SW/film/movie things?

There's a link and image button in the reply window here but no "hosting" feature. So the file still has to be stored online somewhere else.

6. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    How do :)

Never made anything for a fan movie, dont think my skills are quite there yet, done some other models but nothing for Starwars, although did do a light sabre some time ago (link below)...

http://www.3d-palace.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=4016&fullsize=1

Gonna have a crack at a few other SW related pieces :) my texturing at the moment is my weak area (but working on that).

Cheers,

Wiz.

7. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Very nice! I like the look of the saber - excellent work. Looking forward to seeing your future projects!

8. GuanoLad

GuanoLad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 1998
    Wow, you've put a lot of work into that, much more than I did for mine (which isn't hard, I'm a lazy guy). Verry impressive stuff!

I don't know why you'd say it wasn't good enough for fanfilm, it's probably way better than anything that's been in one before!

9. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Hi mate,

Thanks for that, I meant my work when compared to the amazing work of Zoo, Viper and friends. My stuff is yet to reach that kind of level (if ever :p).

But its seeing all the great work done on such sites as this one (including your own), that inspires me and makes me want to improve, as I am sure we all will.

I had built up a hell of a lot of reference when doing R2 and the blueprints were invaluable, which all made the job so much easier. I learned a lot whilst doing R2, he is quite a tricky little sod to model (considering he is just a bloody cylinder with a sphere on top).

:)

Wiz.

10. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Probably the first one to get the head DEAD on. I like it, i hope you will share it with us!

11. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    yeah... easily rivals the best R2s I've seen. A little dirt and he'll be perfect. :)

12. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Cheers guys!

Well I am away for a couple of weeks, so will sort the final bits out when I am back and post an update :)

Also once done I will post the model up for all to grab an do with as you wish :) (how do I go about doing that by the way?).

Cheers,

Wiz.

13. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    You can just send a thumbnail like the ones on the site and a zip file to the SF3D email address and I'll put it online if you want.

14. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    This is a very nice R2, it looks very accurate to me

15. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Hi guys,

Ok back now, so did some minor detailing/corrections to R2, comments again welcomed :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=78734

16. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Nice. I like the dome material.

17. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    looks great...probably the best R2 I have seen here.
    did you do this in 3dmax?

18. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Thanks matey :)

Yeah did the fella in 3dmax 6, just doing an environment for him now, and going to texture him up dirty as well, although its going to take a while as I have very little spare time at the moment :(

The dome material I based on José Luis Martín R2's dome material as is it looked pretty damn good.

So maybe soon (cough...) I will have an update.

Cheers,

Wiz.

19. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Well as promised here is an early WIP shot of the environment for R2 (that corridor on board the Tantive 4 Blockade runner), I am hoping you will recognise it :p

http://www.3d-palace.com/index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=56&func=detail&id=56

A lot more work to do, any comments feedback as always welcomed :)

Cheers,

Wiz.

20. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Another update of the corridor, thought i would get back onto this and try and get it finished, and then eventually get round to texturing R2 properly... well will try anyhow :) as per usual comments, crits etc. welcomed :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=84695

Wiz.

21. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    Great lighting, Wiz. Perhaps it could be a little brighter to get rid of the grey-tones?

22. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Ta matey.

Yeah agree, the lighting could be brighter which would help remove some of the greyness... the corridor is so white, bright, and clean (right up my street with texturing ;)).

Heres a quick update lengthened the corridor, going to finish modelling then can set about the lights and sort em out :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=84698

Cheers,

Wiz.

23. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Mike is doing one of these in the WIP at SCIFI-MESHES.com too. It's really good and maybe a source of reference for you. Check out that thread.

24. Wiz

Jul 29, 2005
    Ok, after looking at the great work Mike was doing (and cursing him :p) I torn mine apart and worked on the proporitions/shapings etc. so here it is after several hours of pulling and pushing and pulling of hair... now I'm off to get a beer then might do some more later...

Comments as always welcomed, but if anyone dares to say they liked the old one better there will be murderings... (mostly mine).

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=84737

:)

Wiz.

25. GuanoLad

GuanoLad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 1998
    I visited the set of Episode III, and got to walk through the Blockade Runner set.

It's very claustrophobic, but that's temprered by its brightness. The corridors are quite narrow, and the roof feels very low.

I think you're pretty close on that most recent pic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.