main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another Reason to hate Ben Burtt

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bri-Nic, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bri-Nic

Bri-Nic Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2004
    OK, so this guy always rambles on the audio commentaries for what seems like ages. His voice is annoying, the manner in which he talks is annoying, the sheer quantity of stuff that comes out of his mouth is annoying.

He butchered episode II in the editing room.

AND NOW WE FIND OUT...

He's the Imperial Officer in the Endor control room that jumps before the charges hit him!

Burtt - "Freeze"

Solo throws the charges

Burtt leaps into the air

Then the charges hit him :(

Just knowing that that error is also Burtt's fault makes me angry ;)

2. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Why does everyone hate him? He made some mistakes, but heck, everyone makes mistakes.

Personally, I feel for the guy.

3. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Hey, Burtt is awesome. Knowing he's the guy that goes over the railing and uses the "Wilhelm Scream" as he does so only makes him more awesome.

But the thing that solidifies his awesomeness and makes his life more meaningful than all of our lives put together: he created the sounds of the lightsaber. I am convinced that the biggest selling point of the lightsabers were the sounds designed for them. They could have come off as really, really sci-fi cheesy if they were not done perfectly.

4. Rick_McGollum

Rick_McGollum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2003

Die Ben Burtt! Die!

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I like listening to Ben talk about the SW films and especially how he came up with some of the more signature sounds of the SW saga.

6. Darth_Seer

Darth_Seer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2004
    I despise Ben Burtt with a passion. His comments are obnoxious and repetitive. People need to forget Ben Burtt and give John Williams more credit: the man is a genius and the true sound-reason that Star Wars is great. Ben Burtt is the reason AOTC is horribly edited.

7. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Much anger in you guys. It really sounds misplaced.

8. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    This like a Ben Burtt Alcoholics Annonymous thread.

9. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    Die Ben Burtt! Die!

[face_laugh]

He's a good sound man, but nothing else. And he certainly shouldn't be given a chance to do the commentaries.

10. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    I don't give into hate ;)

11. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Credit where credit's due - Ben Burtt is an absolutely amazing sound designer, and his sound effects are a very important part of the pictures. But yes, he does talk too much on the commentaries, and he should never have been allowed to edit AotC by himself (thank goodness someone else is doing RotS), and his strange belief that sound effects can have the same dramatic effect as music have spoilt some of the best scenes in the PT - the asteroid chase in AotC needed a lot more music, but Burtt wanted it effects-only. But he's still a good sound designer. :) His voice puts me to sleep, though, lol! :p

12. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    He's the creator of the lightsaber hum, Chewies voice, Vader's breathing and ...

"and his strange belief that sound effects can have the same dramatic effect as music have spoilt some of the best scenes in the PT."

Ummmm hearing Vader coming before you can see him??? HELLO!!! pretty darn dramatic for just sound if you ask me!

Ben Burt is awesome. He has several oscars to prove it ... Nuff said. ;)

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I agree with MarkyMark. The sound work he has done for Star Wars and other films is amazing. He came up with a lot of memorable sound effects and I give him credit for that. But there's a time when the man just needs to shut his mouth. He's very annoying in that respect.

14. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    Ben Burt is awesome. He has several oscars to prove it ... Nuff said.

So does Titanic. :p

I see what you mean - that Vader moment is pretty amazing - but you have to admit that scenes like the astroid battle and the podrace could have done with more music in them. Having said that, the seismic charges are the coolest sound effect EVER. :D

15. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Ben Burtt is the reason AOTC is horribly edited.

I think you are failing to realize that Lucas has final say on how it is editted. I also didn't mind him talking on the track. One thing I wish they would do is have multiple Commentary tracks instead of just one. I would be more interested in what Carrie Fisher and Mark Hammill (hopefully in the next DVD release) have to say. The best DVD commentary tracks are the ones that are recorded live and not editted.

16. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    The problem with the editing of AotC isn't which scenes that are left in or out, it's the little things - the pauses at the ends of scenes, before the wipes, are too long, cutting the flow of the movie, for example. It just feels a bit off - when Threepio says "And miss Padme ... oh my!", Padme takes what seems like an age to say "Hello Threepio" - it may be intentional, but it feels like sloppy editing.

17. Attichitcuk

Attichitcuk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 1, 2001
    Sticking to the OT (hence the name of the board) - who cares if Burtt was the Imperial officer? He goofed, but if you're going to pick him apart for ROTJ, do it for Chewie's Tarzan yell.

He may leave a lot to be desired in the film editing department, but that's a discussion for the PT boards. From an OT standpoint, the little gaffe in ROTJ is about the only thing he did wrong...

The terrifying howl of the TIE fighters...
    The menacing calm of Vader's breathing...
    The hum and clash of lightsabers...
    Not to mention Huttese...

18. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    "So does Titanic."

[face_laugh] true ... very true.

And yes, I agree, the asteroid field chase was a little confusing at first. The idea of the charges sucking up all the sound in space, which is nothing more than a giant vacuum to begin with, and then expoiting it to do damage, is a little hard to understand. But, I liked the pod racing scene due to it's 800% octane boost kick butt engines. ;) Maybe some music might have enghanced it, but I sure get a kick out of hearing nothing but 'kick butt engines' in that scene. Engine sounds + scenery going by at 800 MPH = COOLNESS! ;)

19. Jolt-Cola

Jolt-Cola Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    Who is Ben Burtt? The sound designer? What does he have to do with the editing of Episode 2?

20. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    What does he have to do with the editing of Episode 2?

Everything...

RB

21. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    "Who is Ben Burtt? The sound designer? What does he have to do with the editing of Episode 2?"

:eek:

22. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Burtt is a talented sound designing genius, and for those interested in sound, his commentaries were actually pretty good.

What's more annoying? Hearing Burtt talk about sound or reading fanboys whines?

23. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    But there's a time when the man just needs to shut his mouth. He's very annoying in that respect.

Kind of like people who complain about the SW films, but watch them anyway.

24. JesterHead1651

JesterHead1651 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    lol u guys dont understand that without ben the movies would be completely diffrent

25. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    How darez joo! Burtt pwnz joo!

Watch the Films Aren't Released, They Escape doc on the AotC DVD. See Ben Burtt in action! Marvel at his funky scooter he rides round his offices. Man, that scooter's cool.

He made Darth Vader's breathing, for Force-sakes! And the lightsabre hum. And the sonic charge. And....all the sounds in Star Wars! Ever!

Bow down to Burtt and his Scooter of Doom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.