main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another stupid question by me...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Mecha-Online, Jun 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mecha-Online

Mecha-Online Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    What the heck is the "Journal of the Whills"?

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    It's one of the early titles of the Star Wars saga. Yoda is a whill, and the saga could have been from his notes.

See here, and here, and here for some good examples.

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't think Yoda is a Whill anymore. His race is still a secret.

4. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Well, he used to be..."a long time ago." :D

5. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    The "whill" used to be what the force is now, which is this mystical energy field.

The whills was this entity that was all knowing and all powerful.

in short the whills = the force.

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I thought the Force was the energy of ancestors or something. Wasn't the original line "May the Force of those before us/others be with you", or something like that?

I'll have to look for it.

[EDIT]

Ah, here it is...

"When George Lucas began writing Star Wars?,"the notion of the Force appears in the rough draft when the king...says 'May the force of others be with you.' an obvious variation on the Christian phrase 'May the Lord be with you and with your spirit'."2"

7. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    The "whill" used to be what the force is now, which is this mystical energy field.

i could have sworn that in the earliest drafts the force was the "ashali" and the dark side was the "bogan."

thank God for rewrites and editing.....

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    That does sound familiar, vw.

9. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    MeBeJedi- heres some riviting dialog for you from the early draft that i was talking about.

Darth Vader- "At last we meet!"

Deak Starkiller-"With so much commotion I expected your master, not merely a servent.

at this point vader gets angry and every object in the room thats not bolted down flys at Deak, but is deflected about 2 feet before it hits him.

DS-"The Bogan is strong with you; but not nearly strong enough. I'm afraid that you'll have to use your weapon if you're able."

DV-"I am Lord Darth Vader, First Knight of the Sith, and right hand to His Eminence Prince Espaa Valorum, the Master of the Bogan. You will not mock me or my master; for the Ashla is weak, and the Force of Others can not save you now..."

Heh, I just figured that some of you guys might want to laugh at this early (and bad) rough dialog. Also it does mention the Term "force of others" as the force which is interesting. i think a few people said that above.

btw- the source for this dialogue is "Ankin Skywalker, the story of Darth Vader," by Stephen J. Sabsweet. this book came with a 12" or maybe 16" figure of the anakin spirt from ROTJ that i got back in 1998. it uses alot of stuff from the annotated screenplay as sources for its info.

VW

10. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    According to the Star Wars Universe...

1000 years after ANH

The Skywalker Holocron and other records, fables, and legends of that time are combined into the massive First Saga of the advanced Holocron "The Journal of the Whills."

5000 years after ANH

An attempt by a spacecraft of the Star Wars galaxy to enter our own ends disastrously, and the ship is destroyed just inside our galaxy. A sea of debris flies out into space - including a copy of "The Journal of the Whills."

10,188 years after ANH (1973 A.D.)

After floating in space for millennia, the copy of "The Journal of the Whills" crashes intact on Earth. It lands in Modesto California, in the backyard of young American filmmaker George Lucas. Wisely deciding to keep its existence secret, Lucas secretly begins researching and translating the Journal, dramatising parts of it into a feature film screenplay. (He is learning to translate as he goes, so it takes him four years and five drafts to get it right.) After United Artists and Universal balks at the project, 20th Century Fox agrees to produce Lucas's dramatised work. He creates Industrial Light and Magic to reproduce the holographic scenes shown in the Holocron.

10,191 years after ANH (1977 A.D.)

The first part of Lucas's masterwork is released...

;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

11. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    thats pretty cool

if only it were true ...

12. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    In the original book of the film 'Star Wars' by George Lucas, the foreword is taken from 'The Journal of the Whills'.

The 'Journal' never existed on paper, it was what GL had in his mind as to what the back story was for SW (Ep.IV).

Have a look here to read Episodes I, II and III humble beginnnings.

Also in the book theres a part which never made the film concerning Chewie, that can be found here.

I know it made me happy reading it ;)

13. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "10,188 years after ANH (1973 A.D.)"

[face_laugh] Cute.

BTW, shouldn't it say BEFORE ANH? What good is a Prophecy after the fact? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.