main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

...another Williams scored Potter movie? [GOF Thread]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Dani1138, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    I guess I've gotten used to the idea of Williams creating the definitive music of Harry Potter. POA was a great score, which only gets me anxious to hear where it would be taken from this point.

For me personally, if Williams didn't score GOF, it would be the equivalent of some other composer stepping in to score Ep 3. I just can't picture it. Oh well, here's hoping...

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I thought Williams had little involvement with Chamber of Secrets. William Ross did quite a bit of the work, didn't he?

3. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    From what I understand, William Ross didn't write any new music at all for COS... But he did adapt various cues from the first score to be used in the film, and also conducted.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Same as Don Davis for JPIII then?

5. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    As far as I know, John Williams' involvement in JP3 was limited to recommending Don Davis for the job. Don Davis completely wrote the score, but added the old themes in and obviously tried to make the whole thing sound a bit more like Williams for consistency's sake.

The whole COS situation is complicated, and nobody seems to know exactly who did what. It seems increasingly clear that all of the new music in the film was written by Williams, whereas the reuses of the first score were arranged by Ross (although I imagine they would have still needed approval from Williams).

To put it much more simply: COS is undoubtedly a Williams score, JP3 is not. ;)

6. brick1974

brick1974 Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2003
    "Does anybody recall the song used in The Chamber Of Secrets during the Harry & Malfoi(sp?) Quitage chase sounding just like the song used in the AOTC speeder chase?"

How I wish I could forget it. As soon as I heard that music, I leaned over to my brother in the theater to tell him, but he had already noticed it too. It was hard not to pick up the huge similiarities, sadly.

It's probably the most blatant self-plagarism Williams has done.

I thought his most blatant self-plagarism was from the first Harry Potter movie, when Harry sees the Hogwart's train for the first time.

Let's just say I was waiting for someone to say, "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought." :)

7. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Bad News everyone, JWFan reports;

"A source from Warner Brothers has just confirmed to JWFan that John Williams will not work in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire... and that PATRICK DOYLE has just signed o­n to write the score.

Patrick Doyle's credits include the music for Kenneth Branagh's Henry V, Dead Again, Much Ado About Nothing, Frankenstein and Hamlet, Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility and Robert Altman's Gosford Park. Doyle has previously worked with 'Goblet of Fire' director Mike Newell in Into the West and Donnie Brasko."

:( that's too bad. I hope he does a good job with it. I doubt Williams will come back to finish up the series. He might though, who knows. Anyway, sad news that Williams won't be doing the score. *sigh*

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    YESSSSSSS!!!!! :D

Doyle has previously worked with 'Goblet of Fire' director Mike Newell in Into the West and Donnie Brasko.

He also previously worked with Alfonse Cuaron on A Little Princess, and I was hoping he'd be doing the score for Prisoner of Azkaban, but no such luck.

9. stradman

stradman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2002
    :( this makes me sad. Personally I thought that JE's work on POA was great. His use of instrumentation especially stuck out at me. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything by this new composer but I hope he does well. I hope he can live up to the bar that has been set.

10. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    If you have any worries about Doyle's abilities in this genre, check out his A LITTLE PRINCESS score.

Also check out:

Henry V
    Much Ado About Nothing
    Needful Things
    Est-Ouest
    Secondhand Lions (a little weak, but there are some glimpses of his genius)
    Sense and Sensibility
    Quest for Camelot (unfortunately there's very little score on this album)
    Shipwrecked

or most things he's written. He's good. Damn good.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    They better heavily use Williams established themes for given characters...

12. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I don't know about "heavily", but I would like them to retain continuity and have Doyle utilize Williams's themes to some extent.

13. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    While Doyle may do a fine job, I thought Williams was doing an EXCELLENT job scoring the HP movies. It comes as a great disappointment to me that they decided to switch composers, but I guess its the director's perogative. I will be extremely disappointed if Doyle decides to reinvent the themes created by the first 3 movies.

On another note I was also disappointed when they decided not to use Drew Struzan to create any of the Harry Potter posters after the 'Sorcerer's Stone' Photocomposites done in photoshop don't have the same hands on creative craftsmanship that artwork does, IMHO.

BTW, while I enjoy the movies, the HP books are better in EVERY WAY. My imagination, while reading the books has so far surpassed any of the HP movies I've seen. JK Rowling has a gift for her attention to detail, mood, & leading the reader into a world that no special effects or movie house can do justice to.

I only wish Lucas had written the prequels FIRST before he turned them into screen plays. He tinkered with the story for the original trilogy for years before they went into production for the movies. It definitely shows! While entertaining, the prequels just don't flow & connect with the viewers the same way the original trilogy did or still does. This may be for a lot of reasons, but I think writing the screenplay right up until the day they start filming is probably a major part of it. My 2 cents. [face_peace] ;)

14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I think that Prisoner of Azkaban was the first great Potter score. The first one bored me and while I've only heard the second one in the film, it didn't particularly stand out.

Maybe this will help Doyle get the recognition he so justly deserves.

15. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I think that Prisoner of Azkaban was the first great Potter score. The first one bored me and while I've only heard the second one in the film, it didn't particularly stand out.

Probably because it's nearly inaudible.

16. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    Doyle is a good composer. And I am betting that Williams will be consulted on the score.

Maybe Williams was a little bored with Potter and decided that "Memoirs of a Geisha" would be more interesting.
    And Why do I think that Spielberg's "War Of The Worlds" will end up having a Williams score?

17. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    "It comes as a great disappointment to me that they decided to switch composers, but I guess its the director's perogative."
    Uh, everything I have read indicated that it was Williams' choice not to do GOF. He had a scheduled conflict with "Memoirs of A Geisha" and decided to do Geisha. Consdering Williams reputation and popularity, if he wanted to do GOF the producers and director would have signed him in a New York Minute.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yah I agree with that. This was Williams' decision.

19. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2003
    Williams did actually have some involvement in Superman IV -- he wrote two new themes for it. Don't ask me why.

Interesting, I always thought Alexander Courage composed the new themes in that movie (music being the brightest spot in that thing, sorry Chris Reeve, RIP). The music during the Statue of Liberty scene is quite evocative of Courage's Star Trek TV episodes. I guess his work as arranger inevitably gave Williams' music a Courage flavor.

20. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    Also, I think that Williams wants to keep his commitments down because from comments made by Ford ,Speilberg, and Lucas, Indy is going to start filming in late 2005, and Williams has made no bones that he is looking forward to scoring Indy 4....

21. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    more bad news, this time from mugglenet.com

Jarvis Cocker to write GOF soundtrack?
    Loads of British media sources are reporting that Jarvis Cocker will be writing the music for the fourth movie, with contributions from Franz Ferdinand.

Apparently, director Mike Newell wanted a fresh sound and asked cast members including Daniel Radcliffe to come up with a shortlist of candidates. And Jarvis - whose hits include 'Common People' and 'Help The Aged' - came out on top.

A film insider said: "He is a very talented musician who is a big fan of movies and knows exactly how they work. You may just think Jarvis is the bloke in specs who fronted Pulp but he is a man with many hidden depths."

I want John Williams!

22. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    don't dispare James Horner will do it

Proberly make a Star Trek 2 out of it ? :D

He even might put Khans theme for Voldermont :D

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    What does that contribute to this thread? :confused:

24. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001

i'm sure there are other conductor out there than John
    WIllam

How about Herms Zimmerman or Thomas Newman ?

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's more the composer that we're concerned about. And do you mean Hans Zimmer? His style would ruin the HP series. Isn't Patrick Doyle signed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.