main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another X-Wing thread...

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Mister-X, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister-X

Mister-X Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    Some of you may be aware that I started working on a new X-Wing model about two years ago.

For the past seven months or so, all of my attentions in this area have been devoted to working on a real, physical re-creation of the ILM filming miniature, and the CGI version has been used only as a blueprint for that purpose.

Having seen a few X-Wing threads pop up here, I've been inspired over the last few days to dig out the CGI version and clean it up a bit. I've made quite a few little modifications to the dimensions of the blueprint version, but in so doing, I've made it unsuitable for rendering. This version is a little less accurate, but renders properly. It has all of the details that the real models had -

[image=http://www.cgideas.btinternet.co.uk/images/xw060203.jpg]

- it just isn't quite as accurate, dimensionally speaking, as it could be. Still, it's probably as close to the real thing as any other X-Wing model that you'll have seen:

[image=http://www.cgideas.btinternet.co.uk/images/xc030403.jpg]
    [image=http://www.cgideas.btinternet.co.uk/images/xc170403.jpg]

However, I've decided that I'll probably never have time to map and texture this model to the level that it deserves.

Would anybody else care to try?

If you're interested, or even if you'd just like a copy of the model to look at, please email or PM me.

2. bobabert

bobabert Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2002
    wooooow!! awesome!!

3. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Wow, very realistic, looks like it could be used as an exact replica for camera mapping.

4. CalebLambert1

CalebLambert1 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2003
    Thats a damn good 3d model!

5. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    whoa! great job! thats amazing. nice! i would texture it but i have no clue how. sry.

6. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    that is so beautiful!

That is how models are suppose to turn out :)

7. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    Actually, from all the guys on this board, you're probaly the best mapper. I mean your older xwing is probably one of the textured model available at scifi3d. So I think you should be the one who texture it. I know what it is. I've made the Head hunter and the Ewing, also very detailed and once you finish the modeling, you say : ok, that's done for modeling, I texture it later...

Anyway, very excellent work.

8. Crook

Crook Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    Actually, do you have any pics of the miniature you're making? I'd like to have a look at that...

9. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    i'll second that...

10. Darth_Tater

Darth_Tater Jedi Master star 1

Aug 30, 2001
    Has anybody else tried superimposing the real pic over the cg? Jeez, it's close.

Pretty incredible work, Mister-X.

11. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I will be texturing the X-Wing, and I'm going to make it very realistic, as much as I can, besides that, Mister-X has it on a website that you can download it from, just ask him and he'll give you a link to it.

12. DyeJedi

DyeJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2003
    Wow.... amazing. I looked at the first pic, thought it was an unpainted model.

Makes me cry when I think of how bad my Xwing model is in Blender.

13. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    I wonder if Mister-X will ever come back and update this one. Incredible!!

14. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Any chance that model will work in Blender?

I'd like to take a stab at texturing it. (Even though I'm not very good yet, for this model, it's worth a shot.)

-Vaportrail

15. Mister-X

Mister-X Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    For some strange reason, I seem to have suddenly become inundated with requests for this.

Anyway, rather than keep replying with the same message, I've decided to put a link to the model in this thread:

http://www.cgideas.btinternet.co.uk/lukesxwing.zip

Anybody who makes any progress with texturing the thing, please post your results (actually, it's not so much the actual texturing that I dont want to do, it's the texture mapping).

16. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    I'm putting it on the site too. But don't keep your hopes up too much. There's already alot of xwings out there. Plus, there's alot of other untextured models that have been on the site for 1-3 years. But it's good to make it available and close the chapter on this thread.

17. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    but his model is the most accurate to date that is available!

Great work X, now if we could just see some of the same love go into that bikerscout ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.