main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ant-Man ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Exclusive: Edgar Wright Talks Ant Man

Despite grabbing gold at the Sony Ericsson Empire Awards, Hot Fuzz helmer Edgar Wright clearly isn?t ready to rest on his laurels just yet. He?s ready to roll on a number of projects starting off with an adaptation of minuscule superhero Ant Man.

He?s been attached to the big-screen version of Marvel's tiny comic book superhero - a character who can communicate with insects - for a while and the time, it seems, has come for the little man to make his move towards the big screen.
    ?It?s written and we?re doing a second draft of it,? said Wright. ?It?s going to be less overtly comedic than anything else I?ve ever done. It?s more of a full-on action adventure sci-fi film but with a comedic element ? in the same spirit of a lot of escapist fare like that. It?s certainly not a superhero spoof or pastiche and it certainly isn?t a sort of Honey I Shrunk The Kids endeavour at all.?

He?s not got anybody in mind to play comicdom?s tiniest hero just yet, so the big question at the moment is what incarnation will the hero take - the goody-two-shoes scientist Hank Pym originated by comic legends Stan Lee and Jack Kirby or Ant Man mark-II, the more roguish Scott Lang?

?Ah well, it could be Scott Lang, it could be Hank Pym, it could be both ? okay it is both, now there?s an exclusive for you.?

While Wright puts the finishing touches to his script with co-writer Joe Cornish, he?s got some other projects on the boil, including another collaboration with Simon Pegg. Could this be the final part of his so-called Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy?

?That?s one of the things that we?re going to do with Working Title who we?ve just signed a two-picture deal with,? he said. ?It will have comedy and a cross-genre in a similar way.

So how will it compare to Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead?

?Well, it?ll be a trilogy in tone but I can?t say any more than that. If you announce what the subject matter is, it can still be 18 months off and by that point everybody would be sick of it.?

Clearly playing his cards close to his chest, we guess we?ll have to wait and see how it?ll all pan out. What do you reckon to the Brist director?s latest revelations? Does he have the Wright stuff?

I personally don't see a need for a solo film for the character. I think he could be introduced in the Avengers movie. I'll be seeing this either way though.

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Of all the superheroes still not adapted to film, Ant-Man is getting the big-screen treatment? Wow.

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I doubt I'll see this. It makes more sense to me if they did a spin-off after releasing Avengers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.