main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEATHCONQUEROR

DEATHCONQUEROR Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2011
    Plagueis/Sidious spinoff I think is really a big one that people want...myself included. Oh, and I know exactly who could play the younger Sidious without a seconds hesitation......Michael Emerson who played Ben in 'LOST'.

2. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I probably would never have thought of Michael Emerson in Star Wars, but he would *nail* the young Palpatine role.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes!

Yes!

purplerain likes this.
  4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    This guy with Mark looks the part:

[​IMG]

5. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014

With J.J having directed "Lost" i wouldn't say it is out of the question.

I really really want this!

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What people? SW nuts?

On all the "top villain lists", Palpatine is always rather far back.

If we really get a villain centered film, and that's a big If, it would be about Vader.

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I know this is going to depend on your personal definition of villain, but I think that Boba Fett would be more likely than Vader. Mainly because you could play him more as an anti-hero unlike Vader, who is literally the leader of the space nazis. :p

T-R- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Oh, I absolutely agree, for the same reason you mentioned. It would be very easy to turn Boba into a sort-a good guy. After all Han Solo was a wanted criminal and smuggler. Maybe spinoff Boba only goes after criminals and spares the innocent?

Oh, and about Vader. He would also feature heavily in a Boba flick. Because of course he does.

9. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Yup. Everybody else calls Anakin "Luke".

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You may not like it, but on the popularity scale Palpatine is simply not on the same level as, say, Magneto.

11. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    You may not like it, but the only people who will be watching the spin-offs are Star Wars nuts.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't think so. Marvel comicbook movies have proven that you can even lure normal people in with geek themes. There were two Wolverine movies and they both did well at the box office.

But who wants to see a villain protagonists?

And addtionally: Who wants to see a villain protagonist who isn't as popular in the first place?

Even a Loki or Vader flick would be pretty risky, someone like Palpatine is out of the question.

13. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Is anybody as concerned as I am at the fact we're only two years away from the expected release year of a spin-off film and haven't heard a lick of info on the spin-off film's production? Not even a confirmed director? I think it's a little troubling. I mean, wasn't JJ announced as director early 2013, a bit over 2 years before the planned release date for Episode 7? I feel like we should by now have at least heard rumors of different names being tossed around for director of the first spin-off.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

They have a lot of projects on their hands at the moment so I would guess that the most likely explanation for lack of info on the spin-offs is that they are following a schedule for when to announce these things. First we got our Rebels character profiles, next I'd guess we'll get Episode VII casting news and after that's finished we may get more info on the first spin-off. That way everything gets it's moment to shine.

As far as the Palpatine spin-off, I know I'd be in line. I thought Michael Sheen could play a great young Palpatine.

T-R- likes this.
  15. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    The only characters that I can see getting spin off films are ones that are marketable to a huge audience, meaning ones that are recognisable to people who are just casual fans. So don't expect to see a Palpatine film unfortunately, but do expect a Darth Vader, Yoda or even a Darth Maul one

16. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Nobody who's not a fan has a clue who Maul is.

17. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014

Hmm I don't know, but the imagery of him is very saleable and I'd say he is a memorable villain even to people who don't like Star Wars

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Really? Disney is allowing Marvel to release Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy movies. I think Palpatine and Maul are far more recognizable to common movie goers than either of these 2 titles.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012

Nobody? Let me ask how do you know this? Have you asked every non-fan if they know who Darth Maul is? Just curious.

20. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    yes

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012

Cool. That must have taken quite a while. All I had to do was ask my brother to find out that at least one non-fan knows who he is. :p

EHT and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They're running out of popular comic books they can milk as everything X-Men and Spiderman is off limits. We'll see how well Ant Man and Guardians do at the b.o.

For now I'm pretty sure Disney won't allow any experiments with semi-popular villains as main protagonists. Villains rarely get their own movie for a reason.

23. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Let me put things this way: to non-fans, Star Wars = Luke and his evil father Vader. Many people call Anakin, "Luke". Somebody even describes ROTS as, "the one where Luke becomes Darth Vader."

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I believe you. Yet I'm laughed at when I say that a Obi-bearded Luke would be confused with Obi-Wan.

You tend to forget a lot about movies you've only seen once. People are only gonna remember the big guns and sometimes not even them.

purplerain likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Michael Emerson would be fantastic for Episode VII.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.