main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Eh, really don't want Whedon involved. Guy always comes off as arrogant and kinda prickish. Not to mention he'll make it some sort of canvas for his world views.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If it was an anthology film that wasn't a prequel I'd be even more interested in what he'd do.

3. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Joss hasn't quite proven that he's willing to play with the established story lines and character developments of those who come before him. He may want to do Star Wars, but I honestly can't see him gelling with the story group enough for it to become a reality.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If Whedon wants to do a SW film, they'll probably give one to him. Whatever your stance on him, he has proven he can make box office gold and for Disney that is what counts.

5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I wouldn't mind seeing some established director's like Chris Nolan or Brad Bird.

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'll buck the trend and say I would love to see a Whedon film. I know that he's fallen from favor for some people, but he'll always be gold in my eyes.

7. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Agreed. I don't care about Avengers at all, but Whedon's Much ado about Nothing is brilliant, I think Firefly is brilliant, and I think Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog is brilliant. I think if he can get free enough reign on some characters, then he could do well.
    I don't know if I would want to see a Whedon 'Episode film" or even a 'between' film (between 4&5 or between 5&6). But something relatively new and not action oriented would be sweet. Whedon does relationships better than action. And I think he does relationships better than most people working today.

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Like Kristian Harloff (yes as in Harloff Minor) of the Collider Jedi council would say, I wanna see Dave Flioni directed a stand-alone movie.

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    And see, that is the last thing in the world I'd want to see.

10. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Get a good director but also let Philip Silvera be the second unit director please.

And I'll buy 100 tickets.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I have a feeling a Whedon Star Wars film, someone could do a 2 and half hour analysis on it if it were made. (Only one person on this site would get this joke :p)

vncredleader likes this.
  12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    welp seems like Uwe Boll has retired so no SW movie directed by this filmaking genius.:(:p

Artoo-Dion and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's always strange how people think big name directors are going to be involved in big franchises like Star Wars and Marvel but in reality most of the time they pick the Indiepdent Directors for these sorts of things. Normally it's someone we haven't heard of. And even now a-days people from TV

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Why? What do you think he would bring to the table?

15. Star Wars Shows-YT

Star Wars Shows-YT Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2016

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Rage quitting via Skype doesn't count as retiring I don't think.

But seriously when is Tim Burton going to make that biopic on him?

starocean90 likes this.
  17. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    Whedon did Firefly which while good, wasnt spectacular and was then cancelled. Buffy was good, for its time. Age of Ultron was bad imo - somewhere around my worst 3 MCU films: its success was not because of the director, nor the Avengers film (which i rank higher, but no where near top 3 MCU films). it was a culmination of the previous movies and seeing the Avengers onscreen for the first time. dont believe me? why do you think TFA was so successful, BvS, etc? the IP is popular and people love the characters and want to see them onscreen.
    so no, i dont think Whedon would be a good fit for a SW film at all - at least not my cup of tea.

without going to big names like the Nolans, Jackson, Scott, etc - and to keep it kinda Disney/Marvel related - the upcoming Black Panther film is being directed by Ryan Coogler. he recently did Creed, a great followup to the Rocky franchise. its actually one of the best in-ring fight direction ive seen - which im sure bodes well going into a super hero film (which im sure would lend itself well to a Star Wars film). it also had a depth and character focus, which seems to be a direction SW is trying to push atm.

even someone like Adam McKay who recently did The Big Short (Talledega Nights, Step Brothers, The Other Guys, SNL etc). obviously theres a pattern with this guy; Will Ferell and comedy. but the Russo Brothers (Civil War) also started out in comedy before branching out and wowing everyone with two big, successful (critically and commercially) actions films. so itd be interesting to see how well that transition would be for this guy.

my best pick though, simply because at the moment hes really on a hot a streak atm would be Denis Villeneuve - Enemy, Prisoners, Sicario and soon to be Blade Runner 2. i think this would probably be closer to a Rian Johnson comparison, 'weird' is something being repeatedly used to describe Rian - i feel this would be somewhat similar. the comedy wouldnt be as 'campy' and im sure he'd be competent enough to respect what a Star Wars film has become/is expected to be, while pushing those restrictions/limitations as well.
    wouldnt mind seeing a choreographed Saber battle from him either.

18. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Brad Bird is so overrated. He hasn't made a live action movie that I don't yawn during. I don't think he's an actor's director, and I'm not interested in him leading a Star Wars movie.

19. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Disney would bend backwards if Whedon asked to do a Star Wars film. Not something I'm interested in... I absolutely LOATHE his writing... everything he does feels like a campy, post modern 90's WB sitcom with all the characters speaking snarky lines, joking every other moment and deflating the stakes of the scene. Not to mention the same cringe enduing character tropes: sexy badass female mary sue, suave lovable rouge, and the self depreciating clown sidekick. It's all so dated. Rian Johnson is on another level.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Ahsoka, somehow. :p

21. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I wouldn't say it's the director who made the film a hit, more the subject matter. When people went to see Avengers they didn't go "hm, Whedon's directing, I'll see it!". It was the first time tons of Marvel characters were together. Use Boll could've directed and people would've still flocked to see it. The general moviegoer doesn't care who's directing a movie, they want an interesting film. And how many box office hits has Whedon really had aside from the two Avengers? The movie based off that space show didn't really ignite the box office.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

23. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

There is no chance Denis Villeneuve would do a Star Wars film... the guy is problaby way too busy and offered every top property in hollywood, he's more of oscar caliber type director like Alejandro Innurito and Alfonso Curon. Neither of those guys need to jump onto the Disney train at this point in their careers when they can work with and cast Leonardo DiCaprio in any of their movies. Rian Johnson was a young indie guy with only a couple films to his name, he needed star wars.

24. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015

i disagree. you seem to be speaking for him - with no real evidence to suggest what you're saying is true - not to say i cant imagine it being the truth, it could be... but we dont know..
    i mean i get it, you're speaking highly of Denis and thats cool - but people will and do take up high-earning director roles, not just for money. he might like Star Wars? who knows.
    i wouldnt have thought Rian Johnson would touch SW, having more of an indie background himself, just like Denis (Enemy, Polytechnique, etc... theres a few).
    plus, seeing what hes done i am more 'wishing' than being realistic. but just look at the MCU - theres some 'weird'/'indie' directors doing some of their stuff - and its never too long before that changes how theyre represented. look at the next movie for Aquaman - James Wan is directing. hes traditionally an 'indie' director, Horror, but then landed a True Detective role, a Fast and the Furious role and soon Aquaman. point is it doesnt take long for directors to move the goal posts.

Satipo and GregMcP like this.
  25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Honestly, I wouldn't rule anyone out of directing one of these movies, or at least putting their hand up. KK seems pretty open--it's just a matter of whether or not it's a good fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.