main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    A Jedi and Sith origin film, or trilogy, needs to come to fruition. I seriously think that should be the next “saga” after Episode 9.

2. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Would also love to see a trilogy or film taking place during the canon Old Republic. There is so much stuff that can be told during that time period, along with adding new characters, the Mandalorian-Jedi Wars, and the Jedi/Sith origins and war.

3. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    It would be great if new Star Wars spinoff movies started looking forward instead of backward. Or if you're going to go back in the timeline, go so far back that the movie lives on its own and isn't just shading in some details about stuff we already know.

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    After 8 and 9 they'll have a complete new mythology to play with and then we can get films about the End of the Empire, The Pirates of Maz, Spaaaace Hooorrrse, Larry's Big Night Out, and so forth.

Give it half a decade.

5. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Is there a thread somewhere I can't find about the anthology films being called 'A Star Wars Story'?

I found a thread but it was closed. I was just curious what people thought of the change and if there was any news on why it was changed to that. I'm not overly thrilled with it, I preferred Anthology but A Star Wars Story is so Disney. I'd bet fans could come up with something better.

my kind of scum and whostheBossk like this.
  6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    wasn't Lucasfilm going to be holding a summit sometime in January to discuss the future of the Star wars films. I wouldn't mind them doing a whole slew of Anthology films before the next trilogy. and if that happens we're probably get the next plot details for them at Celebration Orlando in April.

7. Flex Madine

Flex Madine Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    I interpreted the "January meeting" line to just be code for "let's see how well a non-lightsaber movie does and we can see what our real budget is for these going forward".

Not in a bad way, but the box office success of R1 will dictate the future direction of these far more than what KK finds interesting.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    EDIT: ...I wrote a lot

Yeah, I think they more or less know what they're doing up until 2020. It's a pretty safe bet that the 2020 film is going to be Boba Fett. They never said it was cancelled; this year's EW story simply stated it was placed on the backburner after Trank's departure, which is exactly what happened; it got pushed back and Lord/Miller's Han Solo film took its 2018 release slot. But in last year's EW piece, Kennedy said the film that Trank was working on is still happening. The only reason I think it's officially unannounced is they've yet to hire a new director for it, or they've set to finalize the deal. I'd expect an announcement for that, and maybe some of their plans past that point, at Celebration this year the the Future Filmmakers panel.

What comes after is what I find interesting. Rogue One is almost definitely not getting a sequel, but it's easy to imagine at least a few Han Solo films with Ehrenreich and Glover tracking the gradual disintegration of their friendship and the circumstances that led them to part ways (assuming this doesn't happen in the 2018 film), and you could do a few Boba Fett films in the style of the Man With No Name trilogy, with a new plot and a new cast in each film and Fett himself getting wrapped up in one situation or another the main recurring feature.

Other than that? I really don't think a Kenobi film is happening, as much as I'd like it to. I know Breznican said the only reason it's yet to be greenlit is because Kenobi is going to factor into the ST in some capacity, and yeah Lucasfilm frequently uses him as their mouthpiece and gives him various exclusives (forever envious of the guy), and he's bound to have more than a few sources, but I really don't think the story group would permit Marvel to touch on this area of Kenobi's life if they had any real plans to explore it on film. Young Yoda? I could see this getting approved, but I don't know. I don't think we'll see anything during the Clone Wars, or anything to do with young Qui-Gon/Count Dooku/Palpatine. Darth Maul pre-TPM is getting a comic from Marvel as well, so I'm going to nix that.

What I honestly think is going to happen past 2020 is we'll see new trilogies that are separate from what I think will more and more frequently be called the "Skywalker Saga" in the years to come. A trilogy set during the Old Republic, a trilogy set a century or more after Episode IX, that kind of thing. I don't think we'll see Episode X-XII, ever. I think we might start to see some experimental Anthology films if Rogue One is successful, by which I mean more or less disconnected from the Saga's timeline/characters/story. Given Lucasfilm at least heard a pitch by Zack Snyder for Jedi-led remake of Seven Samurai, I wouldn't be too surprised if at least a couple of these Anthology films loosely remake classic stories in the Star Wars universe.

cerealbox likes this.
  9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I absolutely believe that a Kenobi spinoff is being (or has been) discussed. It's too tempting: McGregor is interested, and there's a possibility (per Breznican) that it ties into the ST. I haven't been keeping up with the comics, but they only had a few Kenobi one shots, didn't they? It wouldn't be hard for the story group to give Marvel notes to keep the comics in a neat little corner that won't impact any potential film.

Fett presumably has a Kinberg script at some stage of development already. But part of me wonders if that ship has now sailed.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Really you think they'll go that far back as part of a new trilogy? I want a Old Republic trilogy but i'm not sure.

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A Boba film seems to overlap a bit too much with a Han Solo flic.
    But, perhaps, it could be mutated into being Han Solo 2.

Go off into doing its own little trilogy... Solo, Fett, Lando.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Gotta agree with you on the Obi-Wan film. It's one of those things that everyone talks about and everyone goes on and on and on and one about. To much pressure and not to mention a lot of build up and set up in the comics, ST and even Rebels to a certain extent. You can always tell what the next Spin-off is in my mind by what the Supplementary materials (The main comic line and few of the others things tend to focus on or drop) Obi-Wan is one of those universal things that keeps being hinted at.

Artoo-Dion and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I think that was part of the idea behind it.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So either it's now the same trilogy and Lando will come before Boba, or it will just be a duology with Han and then Lando.

15. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Or they just switch han and boba.

16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I gotta admit I am really not that interested in a Boba Fett film. he's never been that interesting of a character to me. I mean what would the plot be?

17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Like others in the thread have been saying: spaghetti western in space. Like "The Man With No Name" trilogy.

18. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    A couple things:

1) I kept waiting for somebody to point out that the one Force-sensitive character in Rogue One was Vader ever since that quote materialized so I'll just state that.

2) Regarding the Fett storyline I have always thought a riff on neo noir could work. Imagine Fett as the even less kind, more financially driven Han. He's grouchy. Now, imagine a very wealthy person pleading him to find his missing daughter or something. Think old Bogart movies or Chinatown but with Fett as the anti hero bounty hunter rather than being a private detective. If those references are too old for some think "Gone Baby Gone" mixed with elements of Leon: The Professional but within the Star Wars galaxy. He'd take the job on for the money and think it would be a breeze but the mystery would become far more complex than he anticipated with plenty of odd characters involved. When he did find her there would be complications and some humor from him being such a grouchy jerk all the time constantly wanting to disintegrate everyone and lacking any kind of interpersonal skills at all. He wouldn't change very much by the end but perhaps just a tiny smidge and that would be fun to see. Obviously it would need to be grounded in a compelling mystery that captivated with some genuine twists and surprises but a framework like that could work. Heck, I just thought of an even better ending. Maybe he changes slightly but then sees the girl get killed or the girl betrays him or something andnit was all a scam on him or something and we are left with this impression that stuff like that happening is why he is who he is later on. He tried to open his heart up a tiny bit once and now he'll never do it again. There could even be some Fett narration like Blade Runner. Speaking of Blade Runner... would be cool if there was a ton of in city detective work taking place. We'd get to see why he was so good at finding people.

19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Ooh that's good. But like someone else here said. Since Boba is stoic, you need a good second character for him to bounce off of. Not too mention, it has to be someone good enough to handle most of the dialogue.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Boba Fett will spend the entire film trying to find out why the bazillionaire he killed in the opening scene muttered, "Rosebud..." as he died.

Toddy likes this.
  21. Flex Madine

Flex Madine Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    I think a Ewan Kenobi film will happen at some point, just not for a bit. Without rewriting his history completely thwres probably only so much action that old Ben could get into so close to ANH. So I'm picturing more of an Owen-Ben buddy team-up western. Or something dramatic. I can't see it being a CGI action movie like a R1. So it would have to be a few years away once general audiences are ready for an offbeat anthology movie.

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    That was never really the question though. There was supposedly a FS character in Catalyst (which jury is still out on that).

23. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Lor San Tekka has a couple of stories he probably could tell. I still think the time period between VI and VII is off limits until Episode 9 is complete.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  24. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    If there was a Boba Fett film, would it reference or deal with his fathers past? Would he would come across a view clones that think of him as a God.

25. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015

[​IMG]

cerealbox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.